Google Nexus 6 by Motorola Users Thread

WiWavelength

I've done some more testing, and Sprint seems to be making improvements with the SMS issues over the last couple days. On Clear B41 they send instantly, faster than 3G only mode. On B25/26 they will send instantly maybe 10% of the time. The other times it lags and is stuck sending for anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes. During this time if it changes bands (B25 to B26 for example), then it sends a copy right at the band handoff, but keeps trying for a while on the new band. When it eventually succeeds this results in the duplicate text. I couldn't find anything relevant in logcat.

The problem seems less likely to occur on B25/26 if my signal is stronger than -85. Clear B41 always works instantly even as low as -114.

On every band I receive SMS instantly. So it's only sending SMS. I don't think I've been missing calls, and based on another thread here it seems SMS does not use eCSFB, and LTE handles them natively.

Since this is my first tri-band device, is this SMS sending delay normal? Or is it Nexus 6 specific? EDIT: Just tried with a Galaxy S5 in the same location on the same tower, texts always sent instantly. So it's definitely an issue specifically with Sprint and the Nexus 6.

So I picked up a used Nexus 6 this weekend - it's been working great.

Went to the Sprint and T-Mobile stores to get new nanosims (I was lucky, as I met the guy at a location where there was a sprint and T-Mobile corporate store right next to each other).

I popped in the T-Mobile SIM, was up and running, went over to the Sprint store, after a few minutes of minor activation fumbles (getting a manager to give me a nanosim, getting the associate to take the last digit off the IMEI off, etc) I was up and running.  MUCH smoother than my Nexus 5 experience.

The one thing that was sort of odd (and I am curious if this has happened to anyone else) - when I switched back to T-Mobile, then back to Sprint, for some reason the phone decided to only scan for WCMDA despite the option of "global" or "LTE (recommended)" being selected.  Obviously only scanning for WCDMA with a Sprint-only SIM yielded no signal.

I had to *#*#4636#*#* and manually select LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)

Right now it is on "unknown" but seems to be working just fine with on-the-fly hot swapping SIMS at this point.

• Like 1

Anyone here jump from the nexus 5? If so how is data performance compared to the nexus 5? I'm constantly on 3g with my nexus 5 in a city where Sprint is really focused on and would switch in a heartbeat if the new nexus held onto a lte signal better.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Anyone here jump from the nexus 5? If so how is data performance compared to the nexus 5? I'm constantly on 3g with my nexus 5 in a city where Sprint is really focused on and would switch in a heartbeat if the new nexus held onto a lte signal better. Thanks.

I made the switch about two weeks ago. The radio performance is much better. It hangs on to b41 and b26 much better than the nexus 5. With the Nexus 6 I'm on 3g a lot less than with the nexus 5. The LTE scan time is faster than on the Nexus 5 scanning more frequently which means your on 3g less. The battery lasts double if not triple the amount of time as the Nexus 5. If you make the jump to the Nexus 6 you will not regret it.

I made the switch about two weeks ago. The radio performance is much better. It hangs on to b41 and b26 much better than the nexus 5. With the Nexus 6 I'm on 3g a lot less than with the nexus 5. The LTE scan time is faster than on the Nexus 5 scanning more frequently which means your on 3g less. The battery lasts double if not triple the amount of time as the Nexus 5. If you make the jump to the Nexus 6 you will not regret it.

I had a Nexus 5 on the Sprint network here in Atlanta and it absolutely drove me bonkers. In areas where there was a very strong b25 signal it would kick me back to 3g very, very often. It was ridiculous. So I had it replaced with another n5. Same problem. I switched to the one m8 and I rarely ever fall to 3G, like anywhere, including those same areas where my n5 would invariably be parked on 3G. That said, I am definitely upgrading to the nexus 6 as the m8 - despite its relative RF prowess - has never really impressed me.

I had a Nexus 5 on the Sprint network here in Atlanta and it absolutely drove me bonkers. In areas where there was a very strong b25 signal it would kick me back to 3g very, very often. It was ridiculous. So I had it replaced with another n5. Same problem. I switched to the one m8 and I rarely ever fall to 3G, like anywhere, including those same areas where my n5 would invariably be parked on 3G. That said, I am definitely upgrading to the nexus 6 as the m8 - despite its relative RF prowess - has never really impressed me.

I started having these same issues with the Nexus 5 when I upgraded to the newer radios to have access to band 41. With the Nexus 6 in a mature market I don't see anyone having the 3g drop back issues.

Anyone with the order status of "Estimated Delivery Jan 6, 2015" who didn't already receive their Nexus 6 form the Motorola web store, the bad news (not surprising) is that Motorola is again out of inventory. No ETA at this time.

I had to chat/call them for more than an hour, only to finally get the gnarly status.

Ugh.

So I picked up a used Nexus 6 this weekend - it's been working great.

Went to the Sprint and T-Mobile stores to get new nanosims (I was lucky, as I met the guy at a location where there was a sprint and T-Mobile corporate store right next to each other).

I popped in the T-Mobile SIM, was up and running, went over to the Sprint store, after a few minutes of minor activation fumbles (getting a manager to give me a nanosim, getting the associate to take the last digit off the IMEI off, etc) I was up and running.  MUCH smoother than my Nexus 5 experience.

The one thing that was sort of odd (and I am curious if this has happened to anyone else) - when I switched back to T-Mobile, then back to Sprint, for some reason the phone decided to only scan for WCMDA despite the option of "global" or "LTE (recommended)" being selected.  Obviously only scanning for WCDMA with a Sprint-only SIM yielded no signal.

I had to *#*#4636#*#* and manually select LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)

Right now it is on "unknown" but seems to be working just fine with on-the-fly hot swapping SIMS at this point.

mine takes 30-40 mins to figure out the new settings on a sim switch ie. no instant recognition 

• Like 1

Anyone here jump from the nexus 5? If so how is data performance compared to the nexus 5? I'm constantly on 3g with my nexus 5 in a city where Sprint is really focused on and would switch in a heartbeat if the new nexus held onto a lte signal better.  Thanks.

While I have only had the phone for a short time, I haven't noticed a huge difference in signal between the nexus 5 and nexus 6 - still testing though, I'll report back.

Anyone with the order status of "Estimated Delivery Jan 6, 2015" who didn't already receive their Nexus 6 form the Motorola web store, the bad news (not surprising) is that Motorola is again out of inventory. No ETA at this time.

I had to chat/call them for more than an hour, only to finally get the gnarly status.

Ugh.

I recommend hounding ebay/swappa/craigslist - I've found a lot of people selling just because it is a big phone.  I was able to score mine for $500 off craigslist (it was purchased directly from the motorola store).

mine takes 30-40 mins to figure out the new settings on a sim switch ie. no instant recognition 

have you tried *#*#4636#*#* and force it to LTE only?  Maybe it will speed up the process.

Mine picks up signal in about 15-30 seconds - a little slower than the Nexus 5 but not horrible by any means.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I also upgraded from the N5.  Keep in mind I loved the N5, coming from a long run of HTC devices, EVO, EVO 3D, EVO LTE, the stock experience and how quick everything was.  That said, the N6 runs circles around the N5 in every department. Better radio, hover around 4-5 dB better on all bands that I've noticed compared to N5.  Battery life as mentioned is at LEAST double if not triple as good as.  I use my phone a ton for an actual phone (~3-4 hours per day) and the N6 could care less.  I used to charge the N5 at least every time I was in the car and still charged when I got home at the end of the day.  Now, I simply don't charge my phone during the day ever.  Since December, I have yet to charge it during the day. I cannot say enough about how great this phone is.  I forgot to mention the camera is light years ahead of the N5 also.

Just buy this phone already!

• Like 5

Its a great rf performer period. It is fantastic at Sprint, T-Mobile, and At&t. I just picked up band 5 from my bedroom. My nexus 5 never has before. So I have seen all 4 at&t bands and carrier aggregation from my home. I thought band 5 was just some legendary band that no one uses66d3ad6073badf54106d02a696413b80.jpg3ece2fc4e7c6c22b0674e04d0ebbd06e.jpg

• Like 2

Radio seems better to me in that regard.  I feel it hangs onto LTE for a long time.  

However, if you text a lot the duplicate and delayed SMS issue will drive you nuts if you have it.  Basically it makes texting while on LTE unbearable.  If you're on 3G a lot you will not really notice it.

Do any of you Nexus 6 users have issues placing calls in certain locations?

I have two places where I have to switch my phone to 3g mode to send and receive calls. It happens like every other day in these select locations.

Do any of you Nexus 6 users have issues placing calls in certain locations?

I have two places where I have to switch my phone to 3g mode to send and receive calls. It happens like every other day in these select locations.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/01/12/bug-watch-nexus-6-devices-with-sprint-sim-cards-are-having-issues-receiving-calls/

Has anyone tried swapping sims between iPhone 6 and Nexus 6 without having to manually activate?

edit (update):

Just as another update - I swapped Sprint SIM back into Nexus 6 and it got stuck on WCDMA again.  Switching to LTE/GSM/CDMA (auto PRL) instantly fixes the issue.

Under mobile networks, it is already set on global.

This is definitely a bug.

• Like 1

So when I owned a Nexus 5 I found a dialer menu on this site that would allow me to access an engineering menu by dialing *#*#3328f#*#* (DEBUG).

Within that menu there was the ability to prioritize the LTE bands that the phone would scan for.  Knowing that 41 is the Spark band, I want to prioritize my phone to scan for it first, 26 second and 25 last as I'm looking first for the speed of 41, next the coverage of 26 (I understand that at this point 26 is most widely deployed in my area) and finally 25 because I'm not quite sure why it's there.

The problem I am running into is that on the Nexus 6, this menu is not accessible by dialing that code.  I have googled for the last week or so trying to find the dialer code that would let me do this and as yet have been unsuccessful.  Does anyone know how to access this menu on this phone?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

So when I owned a Nexus 5 I found a dialer menu on this site that would allow me to access an engineering menu by dialing *#*#3328f#*#* (DEBUG).

Within that menu there was the ability to prioritize the LTE bands that the phone would scan for.  Knowing that 41 is the Spark band, I want to prioritize my phone to scan for it first, 26 second and 25 last as I'm looking first for the speed of 41, next the coverage of 26 (I understand that at this point 26 is most widely deployed in my area) and finally 25 because I'm not quite sure why it's there.

The problem I am running into is that on the Nexus 6, this menu is not accessible by dialing that code.  I have googled for the last week or so trying to find the dialer code that would let me do this and as yet have been unsuccessful.  Does anyone know how to access this menu on this phone?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

Band scanning order does not mean you stick on band X. The network chooses which band you get put on.
  • Like 1

Has anyone tried swapping sims between iPhone 6 and Nexus 6 without having to manually activate?

edit (update):

Just as another update - I swapped Sprint SIM back into Nexus 6 and it got stuck on WCDMA again. Switching to LTE/GSM/CDMA (auto PRL) instantly fixes the issue.

Under mobile networks, it is already set on global.

This is definitely a bug.

If you can, can you see what the telephony.default.network value is under build.prop? It should be I think 10 for global.

Sent from my M8

Does anyone want to try sideloading the HiddenMenu APK taken directly off a tri band 2014 Moto X?  There is a good chance that it will work on the Nexus 6, too, thereby enabling engineering screens.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7eol1n6wl4fyip/HiddenMenu.apk?dl=0

I can also pull the HiddenMenu ODEX if that is helpful.

AJ

• Like 1

Does anyone want to try sideloading the HiddenMenu APK taken directly off a tri band 2014 Moto X?  There is a good chance that it will work on the Nexus 6, too, thereby enabling engineering screens.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7eol1n6wl4fyip/HiddenMenu.apk?dl=0

I can also pull the HiddenMenu ODEX if that is helpful.

AJ

Is there a specific location I can copy it to, When i run the APK it fails to install.

Is there a specific location I can copy it to, When i run the APK it fails to install.

On the XT1094 Moto X variant, the HiddenMenu.apk and HiddenMenu.odex are located in the system/priv-app directory.  See if the Nexus 6 has the same.

AJ

On the XT1094 Moto X variant, the HiddenMenu.apk and HiddenMenu.odex are located in the system/priv-app directory.  See if the Nexus 6 has the same.

AJ

It does contain the same directory, I went ahead and copied the file in that location. I noticed no files on the root of that folder, everything is contained in folders, should it be within a folder of that directory or just root?

BTW

What dialer codes should I try?

It does contain the same directory, I went ahead and copied the file in that location. I noticed no files on the root of that folder, should it be within a folder of that directory or just root?

BTW

What dialer codes should I try?

I cannot speak for the Nexus 6, but this tri band Moto X variant has dozens of files within the system/priv-app directory, and there are no subdirectories.  So, all of the APKs and ODEXs are at the root level of the directory.

Oh, and the first dialer code to try is ##DEBUG#.

AJ