Q3 2014 Earnings (Predictions)

IamMrFamous07

T-Mobile earnings are out.  http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/media-kits/t-mobile-us-reports-third-quarter-2014-results.htm

The jist: 250pops LTE covered, 2.3mil net adds, 52.9mil total.

I wanna see Sprint post modest numbers for net adds and Legere get stuck with his foot in his mouth about T-Mobile surpassing Sprint by the end of the year.

Sprint may report loss of customers again but it could be modest. And it could be the last quarter before it turns to net addition of customers from 4th quarter this year.

Commercial won the attention but the price point will win the business. If Sprint can keep the edge of price over Tmobile, it will turn positive on customer base in the 4th quarter for sure.

Tmobile result came in with nice figures.

But it could be the peak of their momentum then there is downturn waiting for it.

Marcelo turned Sprint aggressive to compete on price to crackdown Tmobile on price point from late Sep. We shall see everything to be clear in 4th quarter. They really should abandon the Tmobile merger plan and spend the merger budget on network from 1st half of this year. But all in all, Marcelo is the right pick and Sprint is on the right track now.

T-Mobile purchase is long abandoned. There was no money from it because Softbank was going to purchase T-Mobile and had financing set up before they abandoned the pursuit.

Sprint may report loss of customers again but it could be modest. And it could be the last quarter before it turns to net addition of customers from 4th quarter this year.

Commercial won the attention but the price point will win the business. If Sprint can keep the edge of price over Tmobile, it will turn positive on customer base in the 4th quarter for sure.

Ehhh I disagree. I think they at least post some sub gains.

Based on Q2 earnings report I actually see sprint adding customers this quarter but not a crazy amount of customers. I'm thinking 150-200k including tablets.

Hopefully we learn more about carrier aggregation, Volte and the rural alliance program (deployment)

T-Mobile earnings are out.  http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/media-kits/t-mobile-us-reports-third-quarter-2014-results.htm

The jist: 250pops LTE covered, 2.3mil net adds, 52.9mil total.

I wanna see Sprint post modest numbers for net adds and Legere get stuck with his foot in his mouth about T-Mobile surpassing Sprint by the end of the year.

They also sustained a loss. 

• Like 1

Did no one else catch that they plan on reaching 300 Million customers by the end of next year. That constitutes a network expansion. Sprint will likely try to expand their network in light of this information.

• Like 1

Did no one else catch that they plan on reaching 300 Million customers by the end of next year. That constitutes a network expansion. Sprint will likely try to expand their network in light of this information.

RRPP will help a ton.

Based on Q2 earnings report I actually see sprint adding customers this quarter but not a crazy amount of customers. I'm thinking 150-200k including tablets.

Hopefully we learn more about carrier aggregation, Volte and the rural alliance program (deployment)

The network upgrade should be the other focus next to the price competition.

Sprint needs an aggressive/nasty network chief to accelerate the NV roll-out speed. The culture in their KC headquarter should be transformed to be aggressive and mean. The new management team has to remind the workers there repeatedly they need work harder otherwise the company will be out of business. The environment was just too comfortable when Hesse was there.

At the end Marcelo let us see some hope there.

Tmobile result came in with nice figures.

It depends on what figures you are looking at. They didn't hit analyst revenue and EPS projections (lost money when they were projected to have a profit).

They really should abandon the Tmobile merger plan and spend the merger budget on network from 1st half of this year. But all in all, Marcelo is the right pick and Sprint is on the right track now.

The "merger budget" was a bunch of financing continent on a merger. This isn't money sitting around somewhere for network upgrades. Furthermore, we have no evidence that network upgrades are overcapitalized right now. You have access to the premier level schedules, things are progressing rapidly.

I doubt Sprint's plans change in any significant way as a result of that statement.

• Like 3

It depends on what figures you are looking at. They didn't hit analyst revenue and EPS projections (lost money when they were projected to have a profit).

Indeed. They lost $94 million, missed on revenue by ~6% and EPS was -$0.12 vs. an expectation of +$0.05. They are up in pre-market so far though.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/personal/2014/10/27/tmobile-third-quarter-earnings/18037517/

• Like 1

Does anybody know whether things like handset subsidies and ETF buyouts are accounted on a cash basis (accounted in the quarter they are incurred) or amortized over the life of the contract?

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/t-mobiles-legere-if-customers-try-sprint-and-dont-it-theyll-leave-and-never/2014-10-28

Legere acknowledged that his public persona of wearing T-Mobile T-shirts, cursing freely and poking competitors in the eye is a "shtick,"

To the surprise of nobody who has been paying attention.  :realitycheck: 

• Like 6

Does anybody know whether things like handset subsidies and ETF buyouts are accounted on a cash basis (accounted in the quarter they are incurred) or amortized over the life of the contract?

I believe ETF buyouts are accounted per quarter as they are just cash outflow. T-Mobile doesn't subsidize handsets, they only finance.

So it seems we gained alot new customers but loyal customers fled as per the article, but how can they really determine that when they only surveyed 500 customers?

TS.

So it seems we gained alot new customers but loyal customers fled as per the article, but how can they really determine that when they only surveyed 500 customers?

TS.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.  I would just take this information in aggregate with everything else.  To me, it at least seems like a positive trend, something I've witnessed anecdotally by visiting crowded stores.

Commenters on Fierce Wireless articles assured them it was true.

AJ

• Like 1

Sprint is projected to have their best quarter yet by that article. And if the past holds true, Sprint Q4 should be even better than the rest of the year. Marcelo Claure is making the changes necessary at Sprint.

• Like 3

Sprint is projected to have their best quarter yet by that article. And if the past holds true, Sprint Q4 should be even better than the rest of the year. Marcelo Claure is making the changes necessary at Sprint.

And need to fire Ericsson ASAP on the network management side.  ;)