iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus User Thread

COZisBack

An idle CDMA1X mobile does not "ping" the network.  In slotted mode, it "wakes" every few seconds and "listens" to the paging channel.  And probably 99 percent of the time, there are no pages directed to the mobile during that slot, so it goes back to "sleep."

AJ

I do understand this, and I can see it happen in the 1x engineering screens on my iPhone, but doesn't this happen only when the device is on CDMA (in the case of a single path device, whether it be 1x or 1x and EVDO)? The iPhone, when connected to LTE, is not connected to 1x AND LTE at the same time, so I would assume that it technically isn't in a slotted sleep state. The way I understand it, the iPhone communicates with the CDMA side of things (when connected to LTE) by switching back to CDMA 1x for a very short period of time and pretty much listens to the paging channel (like you said), but it doesn't actually idle on 1x when connected to LTE (due to the iPhone being single path), so therefore it TECHNICALLY isn't in a slotted sleep state, right?

If I'm incorrect, it would be nice to be corrected. I'm always up to learn something new, or in this case, be retaught something (correctly) that I tried to teach myself (incorrectly). :)

-Anthony

• Like 1

Sensorly has never been able to map coverage with the iPhone. Speedtests they would be able to based on GPS being a public accessible api. Hopefully cellular radio information would be more accessible in the future for Sensorly. It would be awesome if we could map like that.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

I'm not sure why mapping isn't supported, the CoreTelephony API in iOS 7 gives access to the carrier name, signal strength (though it's in "bars" rather than RSRP) and access to the type of data connection (1X, EVDO, LTE). It wouldn't be a perfect solution, but still better than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using T

I'm not sure why mapping isn't supported, the CoreTelephony API in iOS 7 gives access to the carrier name, signal strength (though it's in "bars" rather than RSRP) and access to the type of data connection (1X, EVDO, LTE). It wouldn't be a perfect solution, but still better than nothing.

The problem with using "bars" is that we can't triangulate exact bar thresholds for iOS.

The iPhone, when connected to LTE, is not connected to 1x AND LTE at the same time, so I would assume that it technically isn't in a slotted sleep state. The way I understand it, the iPhone communicates with the CDMA side of things (when connected to LTE) by switching back to CDMA 1x for a very short period of time and pretty much listens to the paging channel (like you said), but it doesn't actually idle on 1x when connected to LTE (due to the iPhone being single path), so therefore it TECHNICALLY isn't in a slotted sleep state, right?

The evidence for the iPhone 6 variants is still inconclusive.  But all iPhone 5 variants operate in slotted mode -- that is the only way for a non e/CSFB handset to idle on a CDMA1X network.  Furthermore, waking and listening to the paging channel per the synchronized slot cycle index is the very definition of a handset idling on a CDMA1X network.

AJ

• Like 1

Yeah this is what RootMetrics does.  It's not as granular as Sensorly, but it's the best we have for iOS.

I'm already at over 1 gb in speed tests on ookla >.>.....Good thing for unlimited data. And hey! Sprint should be happy. I am curving Orlando's speed test for the better. I wish sensorly didn't suck on iOS. I would map like crazy. I could give root metrics a go considering their most recent reports showed how much sprint has improved. Perhaps I'll help curve the results and we can get back above TMO.

ce4pn.jpg

• Like 2

The evidence for the iPhone 6 variants is still inconclusive.  But all iPhone 5 variants operate in slotted mode -- that is the only way for a non e/CSFB handset to idle on a CDMA1X network.  Furthermore, waking and listening to the paging channel per the synchronized slot cycle index is the very definition of a handset idling on a CDMA1X network.

AJ

AJ,

What are the pros/cons to use the slotted mode vs e/CSFB?

Just experienced my first Sprint to Sprint HD Voice call, sounds like my IP phone at work. Now I get to experience band 41 and HD voice with my new iPhone 6, I'm almost ashamed that I even thought for a second about drinking the magenta kool-aid.

• Like 8

Just sold my iPhone 5S on eBay for $605.00

Holy. Crap.

Awesome. Congrats!

Was the buyer international or domestic?

I was going to have Sprint buyback my 5 32GB for $230. If I could get closer to $450 on eBay I might have to reconsider. Or maybe take my wife's 5S and demote her to a 5, lol.

I love this so much.... It makes me feel horrible to be sharing a brand with them, but whatever...

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/FS1M8

Sent from my iPhone 6 on Crapatalk

Wait, so if I can charge my device off of microwave frequencies, doesn't that mean that my device should be charging all the time? My Wi-Fi router outputs essentially the same frequency as my microwave (just with less power output) so that means I should have a full charge all the time! Time to sue! LOL :D

-Anthony

My iPhone 6 arrived today! So far incredibly happy with the new screen size and I appear to have gotten a "good" phone no visible defects at all. Trading the 5S for sprints offer of 353$ and I'm thinking about selling the N5 I like this phone so much.

And this is the case I just picked up for it: http://www.speckproducts.com/candyshell-grip-cases-for-iphone-6.html

Had one on my 5S and loved it.

Now I can't wait for 8T8R to go live!

• Like 2

I haven't figured out what case to get yet. I'm thinking about going with Boxwave again. I've already owned two, and they seem nice. And of course, the price is right at less than $20 for a case.

Having backups not able to be restored.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never had it happen from a backup stored on iTunes on my Windows pc.. but that doesnt mean in this case that a corruption couldnt occur on the hard drive.. files rarely, but do get corrupted.

I've done a few backups over wifi to icloud ( which can take many hours to backup ) and recently one backup didn't complete - It did say "backup incomplete" though... obviously this wouldnt work.. 

I haven't figured out what case to get yet. I'm thinking about going with Boxwave again. I've already owned two, and they seem nice. And of course, the price is right at less than $20 for a case.

Once I get my button things this neo hybrid is a very nice case.... I would recommend it.

So the wifi performance on the 6 is kinda blowing the 5S out of the water in some ways... I'm getting lower pings on speed tests now, and things seem to be zippier (that's probably just the phone though!) and finally having it be compatible with 802.11 AC is awesome! Finally tapping the full potential of my 1.5 yr old Asus RT-AC66U router. it's logs were showing my phone connected at 433/433 Mbps!

The LTE performance seems improved a good bit too, the 5S seemed kinda pokey at times while my N5 didn't and the 6 surely doesn't. And this call quality makes me wanna throw out our landline!

• Like 3

SMS can go through LTE without CSFB. My VZW SMS go through LTE in LTE Only mode with a non CSFB device on a non CSFB network all the time. Also, the previous iPhones on Sprint did not have simultaneous voice and data either. They never maintained a data connection during a call. Any data it displayed otherwise would likely have been static.

from Sprint's press release:

"Sprint Spark devices leverage eCSFB technology (enhanced Circuit Switch Fall Back) which enables single radio functionality in the handset. This allows Sprint to leverage the many benefits of Network Vision, including the ability to utilize multiple CDMA and LTE spectrum bands efficiently. Although, simultaneous voice and LTE is NOT supported on new Sprint Spark devices, it does provide improved coverage, quality of voice and data service, as well as improved battery performance..."

Sprint implies they use CSFB to an extent (?) on Spark devices ( which the 5s was not ) ...

I know very little, but just posted that even if it doesnt help.

from Sprint's press release:

"Sprint Spark devices leverage eCSFB technology (enhanced Circuit Switch Fall Back) which enables single radio functionality in the handset. This allows Sprint to leverage the many benefits of Network Vision, including the ability to utilize multiple CDMA and LTE spectrum bands efficiently. Although, simultaneous voice and LTE is NOT supported on new Sprint Spark devices, it does provide improved coverage, quality of voice and data service, as well as improved battery performance..."

Sprint implies they use CSFB to an extent (?) on Spark devices ( which the 5s was not ) ...

I know very little, but just posted that even if it doesnt help.

That is so generic about Triband devices that there is no way to guarantee this applies to the iPhone 6's. The issue that causes Triband to need CSFB is that it is single transmission path, not that it supports three bands. So the fact the 5s/5c was not Triband is not relevant. The same technology that Apple used for the 5s/5c to be able to switch from LTE to CDMA to handle a phone call can certainly be used on the iPhone 6's. Remember that the iPhone 6 is not Triband, it's actually 20 band.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So the wifi performance on the 6 is kinda blowing the 5S out of the water in some ways... I'm getting lower pings on speed tests now, and things seem to be zippier (that's probably just the phone though!) and finally having it be compatible with 802.11 AC is awesome! Finally tapping the full potential of my 1.5 yr old Asus RT-AC66U router. it's logs were showing my phone connected at 433/433 Mbps!

The LTE performance seems improved a good bit too, the 5S seemed kinda pokey at times while my N5 didn't and the 6 surely doesn't. And this call quality makes me wanna throw out our landline!

My Wifes iP6+ is hitting 30, 40, sometimes almost 50 Mb/down ... in places where my 5c is hitting 2 Mb down.. we've been trying speed test in the car driving around.. must be the band 41 i dont pick up on the 5c..

Once I get my button things this neo hybrid is a very nice case.... I would recommend it.

Mines came in today and it made a world of a difference. Those little sticker things really did the trick so now I can enjoy this case and remove the silicon apple one I bought.

My Wifes iP6+ is hitting 30, 40, sometimes almost 50 Mb/down ... in places where my 5c is hitting 2 Mb down.. we've been trying speed test in the car driving around.. must be the band 41 i dont pick up on the 5c..

Pst..... It is. It is b41.

• Like 1

Awesome. Congrats!

Was the buyer international or domestic?

I was going to have Sprint buyback my 5 32GB for $230. If I could get closer to $450 on eBay I might have to reconsider. Or maybe take my wife's 5S and demote her to a 5, lol.

The buyer was Domestic (In Kentucky), but travels to Japan frequently.

I'm so torn about which phone to buy. All the Sprint stores I've called only have the 6 on display, not the plus. I need to hold both, but I just can't stand the amount of people in an Apple store this time of year. A few of my local stores actually have some 128's in stock, ready for full price purchase (I was shocked).