iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus User Thread

COZisBack

Sounds like eCSFB issues, assuming the device is not at fault. I would call or tweet sprint care to check on the network. If it turns out it's not a systematic issue i would see if you can replicate the issue at the Apple Store and get an exchange.

Sent from my iPhone 6 on the Now Network

I still have not seen any evidence that iPhone 6's use CSFB on the Sprint network. The iPhone 5, 5s and 5c did not.

• Like 5

My wife started playing with my 6 last night. She has a 5s.  She is basically sold to the bigger screen.  She was complaining about how big they were getting but once she had it in her hand and started surfing/calendar lookup and other items, she loved it.

I hope this will not be the case for my wife but I know it will be.  Two years ago I switched from a BlackBerry to the iPhone 5.  My wife said that she did not want one.  She was perfectly happy with her BlackBerry.  When I came come with the iPhone 5, she took it from my hands and began using it.  Within three days, she went and ordered an iPhone.

I am just afraid that she will want a 6 when I my 6+ finally arrives and she uses it though she has said again that she does not want a new phone, whenever that is....  STILL NO UPDATE!!!!!

I still have not seen any evidence that iPhone 6's use CSFB on the Sprint network. The iPhone 5, 5s and 5c did not.

The SMS tunneling thru LTE and no data connection during a call wouldn't be enough to prove its using eCSFB?

The SMS tunneling thru LTE and no data connection during a call wouldn't be enough to prove its using eCSFB?

SMS can go through LTE without CSFB. My VZW SMS go through LTE in LTE Only mode with a non CSFB device on a non CSFB network all the time. Also, the previous iPhones on Sprint did not have simultaneous voice and data either. They never maintained a data connection during a call. Any data it displayed otherwise would likely have been static.

AJ said to check the engineering screens for something, but I honestly have no idea what I would be looking for. All I know is that this thing switches to LTE freaking quick. When I would have to constantly do airplane mode, my phone now has already switched to LTE from 3g before I even look at it. 

I also have racked up the speed tests. I should slow down on those.

SMS can go through LTE without CSFB. My VZW SMS go through LTE in LTE Only mode with a non CSFB device on a non CSFB network all the time. Also, the previous iPhones on Sprint did not have simultaneous voice and data either. They never maintained a data connection during a call. Any data it displayed otherwise would likely have been static.

Interesting. I wonder how we could get to the bottom of this, I'm kind of curious now.

Interesting. I wonder how we could get to the bottom of this, I'm kind of curious now.

I am too. I'm not saying that iP6 does not support CSFB on Sprint. I don't know. I just haven seen solid proof yet that has convinced me that it definitely is running on CSFB.

Holy crap indeed!  What model did you have? Was it unlocked?

I'm going to put my wife's gold 32GB model on there shortly.

I had a 64GB Space Gray that was carrier unlocked for international use (longer story: when I updated to iOS 8, I lost the unlock, so I had to add the phone back as a new line to my account and have Sprint International try to activate the phone and push the unlock again). The phone was in flawless condition, and it had 1 year of AppleCare+ remaining... 

I wouldn't call -110 on Band 26 "weak". That's actually a pretty decent signal. I get a -114 signal at my home (not all towers around me are broadcasting/optimized yet) and I can still yield speedtests of anywhere from 3-10+ mbps. -110 on Band 25 would have been bad because of how easy it is for it to deteriorate from the high frequency, but since Band 26 propagates so well (in regards to Band 25 propagation) a -110 signal isn't too bad. Just my two cents :)

A -110 dBm signal on band 25 is not any more "weak" or "bad" than the same on band 26.  Both are at the same signal level.  The band/frequency has already been taken into account in the path loss the signal incurred.

AJ

• Like 1

What from field test mode would show that it uses CSFB?

Check the engineering screens.  If the idle handset indicates valid connection stats for both LTE and CDMA1X, then it is not using e/CSFB.

AJ

I had a 64GB Space Gray that was carrier unlocked for international use (longer story: when I updated to iOS 8, I lost the unlock, so I had to add the phone back as a new line to my account and have Sprint International try to activate the phone and push the unlock again). The phone was in flawless condition, and it had 1 year of AppleCare+ remaining... 

That's awesome.  I took the trade in offers from Sprint for our phones as I thought they were reasonable.  Got $352 for the 16GB 5S and $203 for my wife's 5C.  Combined with zero down for both new phones and I don't have a sprint bill to pay for a few months.  :)

When I go into Field Test, there are no screens for CDMA1X. I'm currently connected on Band 41 LTE.

If that's consistent with other users too, then according to AJ, that would mean that it is not using CSFB.

Also, I have to ask myself, why would Apple switch to CSFB? Not using CSFB has spared them many of the problems that the other Triband devices have encountered. Granted, they are largely over with now. But CSFB does still go down.

When I go into Field Test, there are no screens for CDMA1X.  I'm currently connected on Band 41 LTE.

That has always been the case.  When I looked at my 5 when connected to LTE on iOS 6 and 7, there was never an option to see 1X info.  Now, if iOS8 could be jailbroken and Signal 2 installed, we would be able to answer this question.

That has always been the case.  When I looked at my 5 when connected to LTE on iOS 6 and 7, there was never an option to see 1X info.  Now, if iOS8 could be jailbroken and Signal 2 installed, we would be able to answer this question.

The only way I could access 1x/3g info was if the phone was not on LTE. If the phone is on LTE, that information is not provided in field test mode. 

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately I've already switched her phone out with her new iPhone 6 and it looks like a lot of trouble to go through to enable international unlock at this point.

Her's is still under the 1 year Apple warranty thought so that should help.

If that's consistent with other users too, then according to AJ, that would mean that it is not using CSFB.

Also, I have to ask myself, why would Apple switch to CSFB? Not using CSFB has spared them many of the problems that the other Triband devices have encountered. Granted, they are largely over with now. But CSFB does still go down.

It would seem this would be a + for the iPhone 6.  Is there any benefit to a consumer to have it?  Doesn't seem like it.

Plus if you are in a building where LTE is cutting in/out, I'm sure you'd miss calls because of it.

• Like 1

Just sold my iPhone 5S on eBay for $605.00

Holy. Crap.

Wow! Did you include any cases in your listing? This makes me hopeful to sell mine for closer to 700 with 3 cases and more than a year left on AppleCare +.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

The only way we will be able to tell if the 6 and 6+ use CSFB will be whenever an iOS 8 jailbreak comes out. Then, we can install Signal 2 on the device and see if a 1x connection shows up when on LTE. If there is none, then more than likely, the device relies on CSFB. On the iPhones, when connceted to LTE, the field test screen does not let you see any thing about 1x. Signal 2 was the only app that showed us 1x connections when connected to LTE.

On a side note while we're talking about CSFB: doesn't CSFB, theoretically, provide a device with better battery life because it isn't maintaining a constant connection to both LTE and 1x, or, in the iPhone's case, not constantly have to ping the CDMA side of the network when connected to LTE?

-Anthony

• Like 2

The only way we will be able to tell if the 6 and 6+ use CSFB will be whenever an iOS 8 jailbreak comes out. Then, we can install Signal 2 on the device and see if a 1x connection shows up when on LTE. If there is none, then more than likely, the device relies on CSFB. On the iPhones, when connceted to LTE, the field test screen does not let you see any thing about 1x. Signal 2 was the only app that showed us 1x connections when connected to LTE.

Same thing I was trying to say but stated more clearly.  

• Like 2

For those who have cases for their 6+ phones, which case seems to be working for you.  I will say that I have been pretty rough with my iPhone 5 though I have not broken it.  I did put ghost armor on it and it has held up except for some dings on the edges.  Not too sure about OtterBox since it does have a rubber case as I like to put the phone in my pant pocket.

Any and all comments are welcome and thank you in advance.