Who roams on whom? (Updated Title)

burnout8488

I guess I'm most curious on who the other networks will roam on rather than who sprint roams on. But its cool to see how it differs in different areas.

In my hometown, we only have the big 4 networks. Would Verizon customers roam on Sprint? Are the devices capable of this?

Who roams on who?

Uh oh, did Citizens United make wireless operators "people," too?

AJ

• Like 2

I know this is still Sprint, but here it's Carolina West (full native bilateral roaming), then Alltel, then US Cellular, then Verizon.

Edit: forgot to mention Cricket, I think they're after Alltel and before Verizon, probably same priority as USCC.

I've roamed on Cricket and US Cellular in Tulsa. I've roamed onto Nextech in Kansas and Colorado. While in Idaho I've roamed on Inland Cellular.

On T-Mobile I've roamed onto Union Wireless, Viaero, CellularOne (Comnet and Chinook), Chinook (it actually said Chinook), and for what little they allow AT&T. Most of this roaming was HSPA but I imagine it was seriously throttled.

In East Texas I've had Sprint roam on metropcs, and Alltel. Had a T-Mobile Sim in my nexus 5 and said it was roaming on Chinook wireless,which is labeled as cellular one. That is sad because I'm getting coverage from a roaming partner the next county over, with a farther tower, than I am with T-Mobile with a closer tower.

In NYC, Sprint roams on Verizon exclusively. MetroPCS has a presence here but my guess is that Sprint simply has greater signal propagation than Metro so I never encounter their signal.

Since MetroPCS never had a PCS CDMA network in NYC, Sprint would never roam on MetroPCS in NYC. Sprint could only roam on MetroPCS in Texas, Florida, Michigan, and California, where MetroPCS had PCS CDMA.

• Like 2

Sprint is pretty well covered in this thread now, what about the other carriers? 

T-Mobile roams on AT&T, but only in certain, specific, hand-picked areas (on a nearly tower by tower basis). It's usually only allowed in places *far* removed from T-Mobile's own native coverage.

AT&T does not usually allow any roaming on T-Mobile, even when they have no native service and T-Mobile does. (This might be different for Business or M2M customers, or in some hand-picked markets -- I don't know about that specifically. But generally, normal lines do not allow roaming of any kind onto T-Mobile.)

This isn't always true however.  For instance, during Hurricane Sandy,  AT&T and T-Mobile agreed to complete network sharing temporarily, so that you could switch between them at any time on any device - http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/31/att-and-t-mobile-temporarily-share-their-networks-in-nyc-nj/

But acts like that (while always 100% technologically available) are very rare to see in practice.

• Like 1

ManBearPig roams the Earth alone.  ManBearPig simply wants to get you.

Ghjkl.JPG

AJ

• Like 3

Since MetroPCS never had a PCS CDMA network in NYC, Sprint would never roam on MetroPCS in NYC. Sprint could only roam on MetroPCS in Texas, Florida, Michigan, and California, where MetroPCS had PCS CDMA.

This explains why I get connected to MetroPCS around Los Angeles at times. I thought their CDMA network was dismantled already after the T-Mobile merger.