Report: Sprint to offer flagship Sony phone

newboyx

Nice! Now if Sprint could snag a high end Nokia Lumia windows phone and a nice Blackberry, the Passport or something along those lines, their handset lineup would be top notch.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/08/29/sprint-rumored-offer-sony-xperia-smartphone-first-time/

Sounds pretty cool, I was intrigued by the xperia line and would be interested in seeing more sony phones on sprint.

edit thanks, didn't look in misc forum.

Edited by dedub

Why hello there

TOKYO— Sprint Corp. S -0.88% will sell Sony Corp.'s 6758.TO +1.22% next Xperia handset in the U.S. as part of a strategy to broaden its lineup of smartphone offerings to limit customer flight, a person familiar with the matter said.

Sprint parent SoftBank Corp. 9984.TO +3.36% will also supply the Sony flagship phone in Japan, the person said.

The decision would mark the first time for SoftBank to carry Sony's smartphones, and the deal would give Sony a firmer foothold in the huge U.S. market for its phone products—a pillar of its growth strategy.

Full article at:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/sprint-to-sell-next-sony-xperia-phone-in-u-s-1409305019

This Softbank thing might be pretty cool.

• Like 2

I also would like to take this opportunity to say that I love my M8 but why could they not have done this 6 months ago!!! AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH! That is all.

I'm an HTC fanboy to the core but it would be nice to have a diverse array of choices beyond LG, Samsung, and HTC for my next upgrade!

My 200th post!

Edited by xdfgf
  • Like 2

Another flagship waterproof phone that doesn't sacrifice bulk or design is always welcomed.

I just hope it packs the SD805 and not another 801. They'll probably want to cut cost margins though so it'll likely be an 801. The battery size is 3000+ too so that's good.

Sent from my SM-G900P

Sony needs to put dollars into marketing.  When they learn to Market again then I could see them be a force.    

Remember, this a formula that has worked before. You can only get X phone on our network. They just need to put some marketing dollars behind the Sony.

Now add some Huawei, ZTE, lenovo, etc. and we're really cooking.  Plus, offer them at really competitive prices.

I wouldn't expect Huawei in the U.S. 

I just hope it packs the SD805 and not another 801. They'll probably want to cut cost margins though so it'll likely be an 801. The battery size is 3000+ too so that's good.

The problem with the Snapdragon 805 (APQ8084) is that it is just a processor; it has no integrated cellular baseband.  So, it needs to be paired with a Gobi baseband, probably either the MDM9235 or MDM9635.  The rest of the world will go with the MDM9235 because it is 3GPP only, whereas the MDM9635 is 3GPP/3GPP2.  Basically, with no integrated cellular baseband, a separate variant needs to be created for Sprint.

Now, compare that to the Snapdragon 801 (MSM8974AB/AC), which does have an integrated baseband.  And for the integrated baseband chipsets, Qualcomm covers both bases with 3GPP/3GPP2.  Since Sprint has already transitioned away from SVLTE to e/CSFB single radio architecture, no separate Sprint variant is necessary.  The same handset variant can be sold to operators around the world.  As long as the RF stack is already designed to support high frequency TD-LTE, then the CDMA2000 modes for Sprint need only be activated in firmware. 

AJ

• Like 2

Sony needs to put dollars into marketing.  When they learn to Market again then I could see them be a force.    

You are right. That should primarily be Sony's responsibility. Although we have no idea what was in the deal that Softbank and Sony reached. I think its pretty significant that Verizon is not getting this phone (at least in the short run).

I think its pretty significant that Verizon is not getting this phone (at least in the short run).

Yeah, take that, Big Red.

https://screen.yahoo.com/big-red-000000055.html

AJ

The problem with the Snapdragon 805 (APQ8084) is that it is just a processor; it has no integrated cellular baseband. So, it needs to be paired with a Gobi baseband, probably either the MDM9235 or MDM9635 . The rest of the world will go with the MDM9235 because it is 3GPP only, whereas the MDM9635 is 3GPP/3GPP2. Basically, with no integrated cellular baseband, a separate variant needs to be created for Sprint.

Now, compare that to the Snapdragon 801 (MSM8974AB/AC), which does have an integrated baseband. And for the integrated baseband chipsets, Qualcomm covers both bases with 3GPP/3GPP2. Since Sprint has already transitioned away from SVLTE to e/CSFB single radio architecture, no separate Sprint variant is necessary. The same handset variant can be sold to operators around the world. As long as the RF stack is already designed to support high frequency TD-LTE, then the CDMA2000 modes for Sprint need only be activated in firmware.

AJ

I thought the performance was the same whether the radio was integrated or not.

I looked at the FCC docs for the current Sony Z3 and it appears to not support Sprint bands so the firmware may not matter since it won't support LTE bands anyways.

Is the MDM9235 or MDM9635 worse performance wise than the MSM8974 standard or is it strictly just the firmware upgrade you were referring to?

Sent from my SM-G900P

I thought the performance was the same whether the radio was integrated or not.

I looked at the FCC docs for the current Sony Z3 and it appears to not support Sprint bands so the firmware may not matter since it won't support LTE bands anyways.

Is the MDM9235 or MDM9635 worse performance wise than the MSM8974 standard or is it strictly just the firmware upgrade you were referring to?

No, you are a bit confused.

For various reasons, I prefer a Snapdragon chipset with an integrated baseband.  But performance is not one of those issues.  A Snapdragon chipset with an integrated LTE baseband is automatically 3GPP/3GPP2 compliant, so the OEMs do not have a real choice to go with a 3GPP only baseband.  That makes building and testing for the FCC a single hardware variant that also happens to be Sprint compatible far more sensible.  For example, look at the MSM8974 based Nexus 5 -- single inventory for AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint. 

However, when OEMs opt for a Snapdragon processor that lacks an integrated baseband, they typically utilize a 3GPP only Gobi baseband for the international variant.  Then, Sprint needs a separate variant with a 3GPP/3GPP2 baseband.  And the justification for building and testing a Sprint compatible handset starts to erode.

AJ

• Like 1

Now add some Huawei, ZTE, lenovo, etc. and we're really cooking. Plus, offer them at really competitive prices.

I'm pretty sure that Sprint already has ZTE in their device lineup. Personally, I'm not impressed with them, but they might be ok for the budget minded, especially if subsidies ever totally go away.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that Sprint already has ZTE in their device lineup. Personally, I'm not impressed with them, but they might be ok for the budget minded, especially if subsidies ever totally go away.

The Sprint Vital, Sprint Flash, and Sprint Force (IIRC there are two more) were whitelabeled ZTE.
  • Like 1