Moto X 2014 (was "Motorola IHDT56QA1")

NateC

Not a Moto screw-up. Confirmed by Sprint that it was out of their hands: https://twitter.com/sprintcare/status/512420169277124608

And confirmed by Punit Soni it was a carrier decision. So there's that.

"Why carriers carry or not carry phones has a lot to do with their portfolio, requirements and how OEMs slot into them." - from the Google+ thread already linked

And confirmed by Punit Soni it was a carrier decision. So there's that.

"Why carriers carry or not carry phones has a lot to do with their portfolio, requirements and how OEMs slot into them." - from the Google+ thread already linked

Haha, why am I not surprised they're completely at odds.

• Like 1

I guess I'm kind of in the camp of "it's not different enough from the Nexus 5 anyway". I was hoping for something closer in size to last year's Moto X, but with the additional LTE bands. Oh well, on to waiting for Sony announcement.

People don't really switch carriers for phones anymore.

Read the Twitter and Google+ feeds.  Plenty of people still hitch their wagons to specific devices.  Those people may be morons, but they exist in significant numbers, nonetheless.

AJ

• Like 1

I guess I'm kind of in the camp of "it's not different enough from the Nexus 5 anyway". I was hoping for something closer in size to last year's Moto X, but with the additional LTE bands. Oh well, on to waiting for Sony announcement.

screen is better, camera is better, better hardware, possibly better antenna, more premium feel/look - I think there's a lot it's got going for over last year's N5.

screen is better, camera is better, better hardware, possibly better antenna, more premium feel/look - I think there's a lot it's got going for over last year's N5.

That's certainly debatable.  According to Anandtech's review of the 2014 Moto X:

• Nexus 5 screen is significantly brighter
  • Nexus 5 screen has superior grayscale accuracy
  • Nexus 5 screen has significantly better saturation accuracy
  • Nexus 5 screen has better GMB accuracy

The only thing that was rated in the Moto X's favor was white color temperature accuracy, and it was an extremely negligible difference (they are practically identical).

As far as the camera is concerned, the Moto X 2014 camera was also very unimpressive in Anandtech's review.  They didn't compare against the Nexus 5 directly though.  In any case, I don't think you can really say it's definitively better than the Nexus 5 camera from what we currently know.

If Sprint decided not to carry the new Moto X, I'm only left to believe they decided it was too similar to the new Nexus and wasn't worth having two phones cannibalize each other.  That's my guess.  If it was Moto's decision, then it seems like AT&T exclusivity may be the reason.

So how often does a device go through the FCC and then never get released?

Not as often as you think. Since Sprint LTE devices started showing up, this is like number 5 or 6, I think.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

The Motorola X is going to go on sale in a few weeks on a major rural carrier that is using the CCA model.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Will Sprint activate this model on its network ?

That's certainly debatable.  According to Anandtech's review of the 2014 Moto X:

• Nexus 5 screen is significantly brighter
  • Nexus 5 screen has superior grayscale accuracy
  • Nexus 5 screen has significantly better saturation accuracy
  • Nexus 5 screen has better GMB accuracy

The only thing that was rated in the Moto X's favor was white color temperature accuracy, and it was an extremely negligible difference (they are practically identical).

As far as the camera is concerned, the Moto X 2014 camera was also very unimpressive in Anandtech's review.  They didn't compare against the Nexus 5 directly though.  In any case, I don't think you can really say it's definitively better than the Nexus 5 camera from what we currently know.

Personally I prefer the AMOLED screens, but the specs differences on the display are negligible. However, the hardware is better, the camera is 13 MP compared to 8 MP, and it will absolutely be a more premium device. Also, if the antenna is anything of what they've touted, it should be great.

This is highly disappointing. I hope there is an unlocked model that can be simply activated on sprint.

The Motorola X is going to go on sale in a few weeks on a major rural carrier that is using the CCA model.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This makes the most sense... Hopefully sprint will allow them to be activated as well.
  • Like 2

It does seem like allot of faith being put on a couple tweets from customer service reps, especially given that there is a variant built on the CCA model.  Let's hope they are right but that there is another variant (nexus x or moto x) built with an 805 or better snapdragon capable of c.a. is on it's way.

• Like 1

Ok. Is it possible that instead of two Moto X models that Sprint will only carry the Pure Edition Moto X? Personally, I like what I have read so far about it. Could yhe model gound on the FCC site be that phone?

Ok. Is it possible that instead of two Moto X models that Sprint will only carry the Pure Edition Moto X? Personally, I like what I have read so far about it. Could yhe model gound on the FCC site be that phone?

I was under the impression the "pure edition" was the one that you buy straight from Motorola instead of your carrier.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

• Like 1