Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

So that's about as well as you can do on an iPad on Sprint. Sprint is a participating carrier in Apple SIM. I don't see why it wouldn't do the same for the iPhone.

I imagine the super long term goal for Apple is to remove the SIM Card slot on the phone altogether and have all carriers participate. Apple already got rid of the headphone jack. Either the charging port (for true wireless charging) or the SIM Card slot is next on the list.

Perhaps the iPads have better reception due to more space for the antennas and a more robust design? Just taking an initial guess. I'll gladly defer to someone else on this!  :)

You've got to respect Sprint for being at the forefront on RCS, Apple SIM, etc.

I just wish they handled the business processes better so that more money would be available for CapEx.

Yeah the Apple SIM is great. But I suspect that one reason why many carriers do not want it is because of how easy it is to switch. That would make a very competitive market place. I mean sure Apple would love to sell a phone like that, but could you imagine?

Modern single radio phones aka; every new device, can be on LTE and receive calls.

Isn't CFSB only needed for networks that are using CDMA for all voice traffic? With voLTE, this will no longer be needed, right? Also, with the new Airave, will it be possible to start a call and handoff to the macro network or vice versa? I know Airave 2.5 could not do this. If the new Airave cannot handoff, then I really do not see a benefit to using an Airave over just using Sprint WiFi calling, which works really well.

• Like 1

Yeah the Apple SIM is great. But I suspect that one reason why many carriers do not want it is because of how easy it is to switch. That would make a very competitive market place. I mean sure Apple would love to sell a phone like that, but could you imagine?

Isn't CFSB only needed for networks that are using CDMA for all voice traffic? With voLTE, this will no longer be needed, right? Also, with the new Airave, will it be possible to start a call and handoff to the macro network or vice versa? I know Airave 2.5 could not do this. If the new Airave cannot handoff, then I really do not see a benefit to using an Airave over just using Sprint WiFi calling, which works really well.

Carriers said the same thing about Apple SIM for the iPad, but it's there. Verizon is the only holdout. Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T are onboard. Verizon may have to get onboard, just like it had to adopt Unlimited Data back in February.

I've wondered this myself: Why get an AIRAVE instead of use WiFi Calling?

Sprint's WiFi Calling:

iOS: SMS is supported over WIFi

Android: SMS and MMS are supported over WiFi.

So I guess if you need/want MMS on iOS, you can get an AIRAVE.

Sprint WiFi Calling can't do handoffs either way: WiFi to Network and Network to WiFi.

If you have a device that doesn't yet support WiFi Calling (Pixel, Nexus, etc), the AIRAVE makes sense.

• Like 2

VERIZON'S PROFIT SINKS AS IT LOSES WIRELESS SUBSCRIBERShttp://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_EARNS_VERIZON_COMMUNICATIONS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-04-20-09-04-40

Verizon losing wireless subscribers? Reason for lowering prices bringing back unlimited. Interesting. AP cites Sprint and T-Mobile as reasons. Maybe four providers is necessary to keep competition strong?

Here's the thing about Verizon...they should have been proactive on lowering prices and unlimited instead of reactive. If they had instituted a strong competitive stance before Tmo really started deploying B12 and before Sprint started with B41, they would have been in a much better position to steal customers. Heck, if done in the right way at that time, they could have put Sprint out of business and Tmo knocked back on his heels.

They decided to keep profits as high as possible for as long as possible. Well, there is a cost for that. We will see how this plays out. Verizon still is in a very good position, of course. But the foundation's not as strong as it used to be. And the water is rising all around.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

Yeah that's what happens when they're someone's "only choice" for so long and feel they're paying way too much but have to suck it up. Now they see another option and are gone. I feel this way about Comcast, I'd dump them in a heartbeat and never go back if we got fiber based Internet from a new competitor.

That's what they get for continuing to act like they're the only game in town.

• Like 5

This is helpful for Sprint:

FCC moves ahead with measure to ease small-cell deployments

As expected, the FCC moved forward with plans to make it easier for wireless carriers and their partners to deploy small cells in municipalities across the country.

The Commission approved “an examination of the regulatory impediments (PDF)” at the state and local levels that can slow the rollout of small cells and other transmitters in an effort to streamline zoning, permitting and siting challenges. The agency is seeking comment on ways to improve rules and processes at the local, state and federal level, and will examine FCC rules for procedures for historic preservation and environmental review.

• Like 1

Yeah that's what happens when they're someone's "only choice" for so long and feel they're paying way too much but have to suck it up. Now they see another option and are gone. I feel this way about Comcast, I'd dump them in a heartbeat and never go back if we got fiber based Internet from a new competitor.

That's what they get for continuing to act like they're the only game in town.

I'm with Comcast too, and definitely would leave for a Fiber option, if ever were available around here.

I've been talking with my mother lately about moving out to Washington state eventually, and I know a big part of the decision to exactly where, will be based on the wireless signal strength and internet availability. For example, in the Seattle area, there is 15x15 of the 600mhz spectrum T-Mobile got in the auction, which spans from there throughout the eastern half of the state. Yet on the western half, its 10x10. So, I'm going to move in the eastern half.

Of course, these are not the primary aspects of the decision, only a part of.

Thoughts on Sprint's new "Topher Brophy" ad campaign? I like it much better than the collaboration it did with "The Onion" on Paul.

And probably the "longest" Sprint ad ever....

There are additional 7 second clips on Sprint's YouTube channel as well.

Thoughts on Sprint's new "Topher Brophy" ad campaign? I like it much better than the collaboration it did with "The Onion" on Paul.

I can see people grow on this. It's more subtle than having Paul in your face all the time. 

• Like 1

That guy sure has alot of facial hair. If only Sprint offered him unlimited free shaves with his unlimited data plan...

• Like 1

And Sprint not even mentioned.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170421005314/en/

They have a lot of work to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. Why is this a Sprint's problem when a competitor didn't mention Sprint?  May be Sprint is actually faster than Tmo.  I don't hear the same questions being asked when Sprint is not mentioning Tmo in their ads. 

• Like 5

And Sprint not even mentioned.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170421005314/en/

They have a lot of work to do

It's hard to tell how Sprint would stack up, but this is a specific communications strategy by T-Mobile. The only time that T-Mobile seems to mention Sprint at all is in the context of MetroPCS. That's very purposeful.

• Like 3

Speed test.net reported that Sprint's speeds improved the most at 52% year over year in their last update. VZW and T-Mobile didn't even improve by half of that amount.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Speed test.net reported that Sprint's speeds improved the most at 52% year over year in their last update. VZW and T-Mobile didn't even improve by half of that amount.

Because VZW and TMobile had significantly higher speeds anyways... Obviously the improvement will be less.

That being said, TMobile fails to tell us that they zero-rate speedtest data, unlike the other three carriers. They are essentially manipulating the data. Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T don't do this.

Edited by WiseGuy321

Sprint needs to deploy more of its own speed test servers across the country. I'm only seeing the one Sprint has in NYC. Are there others out there?

Sprint needs to deploy more of its own speed test servers across the country. I'm only seeing the one Sprint has in NYC. Are there others out there?

There is one in Houston Tx.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I see one in Seattle occasionally. But it's not always there when I use Project Fi.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I see one in Seattle occasionally. But it's not always there when I use Project Fi.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I think Sprint should deploy a Speed Test server in every major metropolitan area. Aside from being useful, it serves as branding for brand awareness.

It'll cost less money than Sprint spent on some other ventures in my opinion: NASCAR sponsorship, NBA sponsorship, etc.

• Like 1

I think Sprint should deploy a Speed Test server in every major metropolitan area. Aside from being useful, it serves as branding for brand awareness.

They're everywhere already. Houston, New Orleans, San Antonio, Austin, Ft. Worth, and Dallas all have one.
  • Like 3