Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I'm surprised more companies do not have dual SSID networks, even authenticated ones. We recently upgraded our network here and went completely wireless with the APs broadcasting a secure network which only authenticated on corporate assets, and an authorized guest network which required credentials but no device restriction.

It's not that hard to whitelist MACs for a single SSID, even on basic consumer gear...

Stick the guest SSID on a completely isolated VLAN from the internal traffic, enable isolation for all users on that SSID so they can't talk to other wireless guests, and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not that hard to whitelist MACs for a single SSID, even on basic consumer gear...

Stick the guest SSID on a completely isolated VLAN from the internal traffic, enable isolation for all users on that SSID so they can't talk to other wireless guests, and call it a day.

MAC filtering should not be used for authentication. Carnegie Mellon's wifi network used (maybe still uses) it as the only auth, which blows my mind for a university that's the home of CERT. Before I was a student there and needed wifi, I just cloned the MAC of a user I saw on the network and viola, I had access.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 1

MAC filtering should not be used for authentication. Carnegie Mellon's wifi network used (maybe still uses) it as the only auth, which blows my mind for a university that's the home of CERT. Before I was a student there and needed wifi, I just cloned the MAC of a user I saw on the network and viola, I had access.

Not saying use that as the only authentication method, there are plenty of further ways to restrict authentication to valid devices only, but that's an easy first step to weed out unwanted devices.

Not saying use that as the only authentication method, there are plenty of further ways to restrict authentication to valid devices only, but that's an easy first step to weed out unwanted devices.

The easiest and correct way is just setup 802.1x. ie, WPA enterprise. Authenticate with public key only (on corp devices this is easy to preinstall per user). Username/password auth is too easy to man in the middle, many devices don't validate the CA, so public key prevents that. Even consumer wifi APs support it, you just need a central radius server to point it at. You could use a raspberry pi, but I'm guessing most organizations would tie it to their active directory server.

I used it in my home network for a while just to try it out, since in theory someone knowing the PSK password could man in the middle the connection. Now I just have my guest network properly forward certain multicast packets via avahi, so guests can use the Chromecasts or printer without being on my main network.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Honestly it's pretty trivial compared to some of the stuff they get up to. Using your device that you already own and would have owned anyway isn't the big issue, nor is leaving you to pay the monthly. The kicker is that you are basically on call 24 365. No overtime or on call pay for us 'exempt' workers. I still work way less than when I was self employed or ran a company myself. At the end of the day if I wasn't happy I would walk. There's plenty more jobs out there and if you don't like those you can work for yourself. 

I work for a good company, they actually do treat me well in general but they do ask some stuff like the cell phones, personal vehicle use and basically being on call all the time. The flip side is when the company does well we get a real cut of the profits. Plus if they gave us company phones they would likely be selected by the bean counters so we would have flip phones on net 10 wireless.

Work has nothing on our old HOA for insane policies though :)

Agreed. Besides, if you really didnt want to pay for cell service, you would just get on a RingPlus plan.  Anyone that is exempt can afford a basic cellphone plan, even if they have to pay.  I am pretty sure t-mobile still gives 200/month for free away.  That would allow people to conduct work email at no cost.

Again, these are exempt positions with fairly decent pay and in theory, should have some job mobility.

• Like 1

Agreed. Besides, if you really didnt want to pay for cell service, you would just get on a RingPlus plan.  Anyone that is exempt can afford a basic cellphone plan, even if they have to pay.  I am pretty sure t-mobile still gives 200/month for free away.  That would allow people to conduct work email at no cost.

Again, these are exempt positions with fairly decent pay and in theory, should have some job mobility.

The minimum salary for exempt is something like 23k although it may rise at the end of the year. Not sure if that classes as fairy decent, depends on the cost of living in the area I guess. 

I knew it! LG G5! HTC A9 is a big surprise!

the HTC 10, HTC 9, LG G5, Samsung Galaxy S7, and Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

• Like 2

I also see that sprint now covers "approximately" 300 million people now according to the article with the HTC 10 and 3CA.

Is Sprint quietly expanding coverage?

the HTC 10, HTC 9, LG G5, Samsung Galaxy S7, and Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

HTC one A9 is a surprise to me to, I guess because the cat 7 ability in it will get it up to 300mb

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

HTC one A9 is a surprise to me to, I guess because the cat 7 ability in it will get it up to 300mb

No. Cat 7 "300 MB" is aggregating two 20 MHz FDD-LTE (~150 theoretical) carriers together.

Something is amiss since that 617 X8 chipset does not support 3xCA. You need a Category 9+ to do 3 carrier aggregation. 

• Like 1

I also see that sprint now covers "approximately" 300 million people now according to the article with the HTC 10 and 3CA.

Is Sprint quietly expanding coverage?

I've seen overlays, but no actual coverage improvements.  My guess is they changed the algorithms to measure coverage to make it look bigger and not actually 'lie'.  The coverage map for Sprint's LTE is the same as it's been for awhile now.  Actually, with the latest update, Jacksonville seems to have lost some LTE Plus coverage!

I've seen overlays, but no actual coverage improvements. My guess is they changed the algorithms to measure coverage to make it look bigger and not actually 'lie'. The coverage map for Sprint's LTE is the same as it's been for awhile now. Actually, with the latest update, Jacksonville seems to have lost some LTE Plus coverage!

I have noticed a contraction of coverage of b41. Back to what is was before carrier aggregation

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

the HTC 10, HTC 9, LG G5, Samsung Galaxy S7, and Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.[/size]

I believe HTC 9 refers to the M9, not A9.

No. Cat 7 "300 MB" is aggregating two 20 MHz FDD-LTE (~150 theoretical) carriers together.

Something is amiss since that 617 X8 chipset does not support 3xCA. You need a Category 9+ to do 3 carrier aggregation.

What is your thinking on the LG G5?

I've seen overlays, but no actual coverage improvements.  My guess is they changed the algorithms to measure coverage to make it look bigger and not actually 'lie'.  The coverage map for Sprint's LTE is the same as it's been for awhile now.  Actually, with the latest update, Jacksonville seems to have lost some LTE Plus coverage!

They continue to add LTE to existing 3G only sites, I have seen fairly large swaths of 3G only that have slowly bee converted to LTE. This is where the change in numbers is coming from.
  • Like 4

I have noticed a contraction of coverage of b41. Back to what is was before carrier aggregation

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

This sounds like a local issue, not something that anyone else has reported experiencing. May want to contact someone about that.

• Like 1

They continue to add LTE to existing 3G only sites, I have seen fairly large swaths of 3G only that have slowly bee converted to LTE. This is where the change in numbers is coming from.

I forgot about NV 1.0.  It's been so long haha.  Are B26 sites coming online in areas that were part of IBEZ?  That may be where other numbers are coming from.

I forgot about NV 1.0.  It's been so long haha.  Are B26 sites coming online in areas that were part of IBEZ?  That may be where other numbers are coming from.

No changes yet in the IBEZ. I can speak to the Missouri market where in the last two months they have filled in large gaps on highways, and have finally turned on LTE at every last site in the market (aside from a couple of DAS that we don't have current info for). I've noticed the map finally going LTE in Nebraska, Minnesota, and upstate New York that have long been 3G only areas, plus a portion of the W. Pennsylvania market has minimal B25 coverage now I believe due to GMO LTE. 

Edit: And don't forget about the nTelos LTE additions!

• Like 2

I've seen overlays, but no actual coverage improvements. My guess is they changed the algorithms to measure coverage to make it look bigger and not actually 'lie'. The coverage map for Sprint's LTE is the same as it's been for awhile now. Actually, with the latest update, Jacksonville seems to have lost some LTE Plus coverage!

Yep. Brightside for me is that they finally officially turned on and optimized my home site and is the first site in gainesville , belleview or Ocala to get 2500 and what a difference it makes. It goes much further and penetrates much better that I thought it would also speeds went from 0.5mbps on b25/b26 to 20-30 mbps in peak hours. The same week our Sprint stores all started getting mini cells in store so you can actually use the phone inside of the stores. I can only imagine what will happen when more sites get it.
  • Like 7

Yep. Brightside for me is that they finally officially turned on and optimized my home site and is the first site in gainesville , belleview or Ocala to get 2500 and what a difference it makes. It goes much further and penetrates much better that I thought it would also speeds went from 0.5mbps on b25/b26 to 20-30 mbps in peak hours. The same week our Sprint stores all started getting mini cells in store so you can actually use the phone inside of the stores. I can only imagine what will happen when more sites get it.

Repeaters? Is the GCI the same as the nearby macro?

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Wow, I forgot about all of those GMO areas. I basically thought they'd linger until the end of time but it looks like a number of college towns in rural NY and PA got LTE deployments.

I expect the GMO LTE in PA is related to meeting the G Block build out requirements. Only seems to have been done in the most populated spots. 

Upstate NY may be full build sites just finally getting LTE. I didn't check those against our GMO list. 

Repeaters? Is the GCI the same as the nearby macro?

Sent from my Nexus 6P

No it's different. Also my engineering screen modes on my note 5 said it was 20mhz band 41 while lte discovery and signal check pro claimed it was b25. It ended A00

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk