Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

That's hard to believe as a upcoming promo geared towards sprint users. If it is true, this was something that was only given to them by the retention dept to keep them. I wouldn't give it too much thought.

Sent from my iPhone 6s+ using Tapatalk

I'm gonna dig deeper lol I'm really curious.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Please do!

The best that I think can happen is the plan my mother and I are on with AT&T. We have U-verse U-Basic, which is $20 monthly, along with U-Verse 18mbps download speed internet, which is $40 monthly, although the speeds actually clock at around 22mbos, according to some speedtests I've done. Then we have a 22% discount on the Unlimited Data Pan from the Freelancers Union, a discount I found out about from S4GRU member Gusherb.

I'd be really surprised if AT&T gave a cheaper rate than that, especially allowing customers, other than those on legacy loyalty Unlimited Data plans, have Unlimited Data without having television service and at Sprint-like rates. Even if it were just without having television service I very highly doubt. My mother had to make several telephone calls into AT&T retention just toget AT&T to allow us to have U-Basic, as they normally only give that plan to new customers. My mother and I use to have television service with AT&T, but we had cancelled that some years ago, only keeping internet, which we've had with AT&T for nearly a decade. Originally, the best television plan AT&T said they could do, is give us U-Family, at $50 monthly with a $5 reduction on the internet. So, my mother got them down $30 monthly on the television service, granted its a lesser plan with fewer channels now, yet we got to keep our price reduction on the internet.

Anyways, I doubt AT&T will give a better deal than that. Although if they do, congratulations to the person who gets them to do so!

There might be some truth

https://9to5mac.com/2016/08/17/new-att-data-plans-no-overage-charges/

There might be some truth

https://9to5mac.com/2016/08/17/new-att-data-plans-no-overage-charges/

No more overages but they added a BYOD charge so two steps forward and one step back.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Anyone hear about at&t matching sprint plans? My friend and his wife were going to switch over to sprint but apparently at&t matched whatever sprint was offering and gave them unlimited data without having direct TV. I find it a bit fishy myself he is known to bs a bit, but it kinda has me wondering however. Sad part is he is always bitching about losing data in the most random parts around town where me being on Sprint I have great service so he has me a bit confused lol.

Could be true. My AT&T rep keeps telling me the DirecTV requirement for unlimited will be going away soon - "this fall." Has been saying that since about March. The rate matching would just be a Retention Dept. decision - that one is even easier to believe.

Pipe dream.  Since 2013, Sprint's subscriber base has stabilized, and its network is now adequate; nowhere near bankruptcy.  T-Mobile US network and subscriber base have accelerated like a rocket.

Instead, I would like to see Sprint make strategic partnerships with DISH, Ligado Networks (former LightSquared), or cable carrier like Charter or Comcast.

• Like 6

Could be true. My AT&T rep keeps telling me the DirecTV requirement for unlimited will be going away soon - "this fall." Has been saying that since about March. The rate matching would just be a Retention Dept. decision - that one is even easier to believe.

You're AT&T rep. doesn't know what he is talking about. It is more likely unlimited will be going away, than it is to expand.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

You're AT&T rep. doesn't know what he is talking about. It is more likely unlimited will be going away, than it is to expand.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

No, this is not a consumer rep of whom I am speaking. But that's all I can say. 

They never left in my opinion. Sprint is basically installing Small cells, while T-Mobile is doing macros and coverage expansions. Sprint doesn't want to install new costly macro sites that would overlap with T-Mobile because they still thinking of going through with the merger.

• Like 1

No more overages but they added a BYOD charge so two steps forward and one step back.

AT&T already charges an access fee for BYOD, so they're not adding it with the new plans. They're changing it to a flat $20/line (right now, it varies with the among of data in the plan)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Are you talking about the $15 activation fee they charge across the board including BYOD or is there now a new charge? If so I haven't found it yet...

For those in DC having problems. Check out @sprintcare's Tweet: https://twitter.com/sprintcare/status/765579298971451392?s=09

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

More details on this from The Washington Post:

At around 12:45 p.m., a Sprint spokeswoman said the problems were caused by “an extensive commercial power outage and fire.”

Adrienne Norton, a company spokeswoman, said in an email that the fire — which happened across from a switch site — caused a commercial power failure to Sprint’s D.C. wireline switch and the company’s generators kicked in to provide power but ran into issues.

By 7 p.m., all generator power was restored, Norton said. “Our teams are working aggressively to restore remaining wireline equipment that was impacted from the power failure,” she added. She did not estimate when service would be restored.

Time to get those generators checked and/or swapped out.

Here's information on the actual fire that caused it:

Major transformer fire causes road closures in downtown D.C.:

A fire that broke out around midnight Monday in electrical equipment below the sidewalk at 18th and L streets NW caused that intersection to be closed during Tuesday’s morning rush hour, authorities said.

No, this is not a consumer rep of whom I am speaking. But that's all I can say. 

Pipe dream.  Since 2013, Sprint's subscriber base has stabilized, and its network is now adequate; nowhere near bankruptcy.  T-Mobile US network and subscriber base have accelerated like a rocket.

Instead, I would like to see Sprint make strategic partnerships with DISH, Ligado Networks (former LightSquared), or cable carrier like Charter or Comcast.

I use to believe in and even support a Sprint acquisition of T-Mobile. Nowadays I seriously doubt it. The FCC didn't give T-Mobile its way with the extra spectrum reserve allocation in the 600mhz spectrum auction ad there have been ongoing rumors regarding Binge On's legality and net neutrality position. I doubt the FCC is going to let this one pass, at least the current administrations' FCC.

Perhaps with a new administration, it might be possible, but I'm thinking if Softbank tries it, then AT&T might step in with a counter offer, which at that point, that would have more of a chance of success. I know AT&T has tried it before and didn't get it, but if the environment changes where Softbank feels it may have a chance, then I wouldn't doubt AT&T would counteroffer. AT&T would have too much to lose if Softbank were to acquire T-Mobile and merge it with Sprint. So would Verizon, but I have a theory for what Verizon might do in the future after a potential AT&T takeover of T-Mobile.

Speaking of AT&T, I highly doubt they'll have an unlimited data plan without the television service required provision.

Speaking of AT&T, I highly doubt they'll have an unlimited data plan without the television service required provision.

Admittedly, I am skeptical myself. The only reason I give it any credence at all is that this person has had good info for me 100% of the time.

• Like 1

They never left in my opinion. Sprint is basically installing Small cells, while T-Mobile is doing macros and coverage expansions. Sprint doesn't want to install new costly macro sites that would overlap with T-Mobile because they still thinking of going through with the merger.

That makes no sense.

• Like 1

That makes no sense.

It actually makes a bit of sense in some weird way. If Sprint ultimately wants to merge with T-Mobile, then building out their macro network doesn't make much sense as Sprint could just buy out T-Mobile and use their infrastructure to compliment their current one.

It would explain why they've slowed down spending for this year and focused only on small cells (which don't help with indoor coverage as much as 1900/800).

It actually makes a bit of sense. If Sprint ultimately wants to merge with T-Mobile, then building out their macro network doesn't make much sense as Sprint could just buy out T-Mobile and use their infrastructure to compliment their current one.

It would explain why they've slowed down spending for this year and focused only on small cells (which don't help with indoor coverage as much as 1900/800).

Totally not because they have billions in $ of debt maturing this year and next year. 

• Like 9

It actually makes a bit of sense in some weird way. If Sprint ultimately wants to merge with T-Mobile, then building out their macro network doesn't make much sense as Sprint could just buy out T-Mobile and use their infrastructure to compliment their current one.

Not really, Sprint has a business to run.

This isn't T-Mobile in 2010/2011 which turned off all their lights when AT&T was taking out to dinner and back home.

Sprint's also deploying new macro sites, but the full focus is densifying the network in which small cells plays a huge role in.

Over the last few weeks a ton of small cells went on-air in Manhattan, expanding capacity 10x for those customers who walk by them daily.

• Like 1

Well looks like AT&T is coming out with a new unlimited plan but you get throttled, http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/17/att-introducing-new-mobile-share-advantage-plans/

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Looks like the industry is finally getting to that simplified point.

What's T-Mobile's next "uncarrier" move going to be? At this point a lot of the BS points that used to be expressed have been removed, so what's next?

If it happens, my gut instinct is that it would be the T-Mobile brand that lives. Good part is their people would have a deep band 41 small cell hetnet to place a top the T-Mobile network and their large urban based macro grid. Bad part is those of you who love CDMA would be getting to say goodbye to it. That said, on some level it makes sense but I don't think Sprint should hold off macro cell expansion because they think they can be merged into T-Mobile.

As a Verizon VoLTE customer I don't particularly miss CDMA much but I could see the Sprint folks reacting differently. I'm personally glad that I have simultaneous voice and data now. Also VoLTE reliability for Southern Illinois is rock solid.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

As far as the AT&T plans go, I still don't see where the cost advantage is that great over Verizon. Considering their network isn't as great as Verizon's, I don't see why they don't cut prices or or offer more features to compete. I guess their main focus is pushing "unlimited" with bundling AT&T mobile service and DIRECTV.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 4