Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Anyone know how many cell sites each carrier has? I'm curious about these numbers.

Sent from my M8

This isn't 100% accurate but Verizon about 46k, AT&T 58k, Sprint 48k including clearwire sites (39k without), T-Mobile 54k.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like 2

This isn't 100% accurate but Verizon about 46k, AT&T 58k, Sprint 48k including clearwire sites (39k without), T-Mobile 54k.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Not surprising then about Sprint's network improvement plan adding 9000 (or around that) additional towers to the network, bringing it up to around T-Mobile's site numbers. Although, would Sprint need even more than that, in order to properly operate 2.5 without massive coverage holes?

Not surprising then about Sprint's network improvement plan adding 9000 (or around that) additional towers to the network, bringing it up to around T-Mobile's site numbers. Although, would Sprint need even more than that, in order to properly operate 2.5 without massive coverage holes?

1900/800 can do well in more rural areas. They won't need as many sites as T-Mobile.
  • Like 1

There doesn't have to be contiguous 2.5 coverage for sprint to have a good experience.

Enough traffic has to be offloaded onto 2.5 for 1900 lte to have enough capacity to be decent experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

There doesn't have to be contiguous 2.5 coverage for sprint to have a good experience.

Enough traffic has to be offloaded onto 2.5 for 1900 lte to have enough capacity to be decent experience.

When I had Sprint, much of my time outdoors was on 2.5 and getting around 40mbps, then around 15mbps - 20mbps in Schaumburg, compared with T-Mobile's pathetic 1 Mbps range there.

Personally, I'd like to be able to block 1900, to use only 800 and 2500 when I get back on Sprint two days from now, thankfully getting rid of this hideous T-Mobile service.

• Like 3

When I had Sprint, much of my time outdoors was on 2.5 and getting around 40mbps, then around 15mbps - 20mbps in Schaumburg, compared with T-Mobile's pathetic 1 Mbps range there.

Personally, I'd like to be able to block 1900, to use only 800 and 2500 when I get back on Sprint two days from now, thankfully getting rid of this hideous T-Mobile service.

I wouldn't want to block any LTE bands but........ I would like to block PCS 1x and have 1x 800 only. Therefore I would have no dropped calls when entering buildings.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like 1

This is not good news...

Sprint CEO says unlimited data plans won't stay around forever

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/27/8675159/sprint-unlimited-data-plans-not-forever-ceo-says

No.  Absolutely, it is good news.  Pay for what you use.  If you are a light user, get a price break.  If you are a burden on the network, pay through the nose.

But some people selfishly, irrationally want "unlimited" data, cheap prices, copious LTE bandwidth, and dense networks -- all at the same time.  That is the not so good news...

AJ

• Like 7

No. Absolutely, it is good news. Pay for what you use.

People selfishly, irrationally want "unlimited" data, cheap prices, copious LTE bandwidth, and dense networks -- all at the same time. That is the not so good news...

AJ

Carriers chose to start out with unlimited.

Good luck to sprint trying to take away unlimited. Will be very fun to watch sprint vs TMO play musical chairs with unlimited.

Who knows when sprint will take it away 5 or 10 years from now. T-Mobile already said they will have a two year guarantee on unlimited data but didn't say when those two years start. Either way it goes, the writing was on the wall since everything is going strictly lte.

"Expect in 18 to 24 months, our network will be No. 1 (or) 2"

Pretty bold prediction/statement from Marcelo at the Code Conference.

TS

If they can keep up the pace of upgrades and AT&T continues to flounder, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they took the #2 spot from AT&T in a lot of reasonably large markets.

#1, however, is gonna require immediate perfect execution of this new network plan that they keep hyping. And even with that I doubt it will happen, at least not any time soon. Verizon seems to always be 1 step ahead. They're ramping up densification around here already.

• Like 1

Wonder if this speed test is accurate and not a fluke....

https://twitter.com/dattoae/status/603330045403344898

I nailed a 77mb down/14mb up speed test the other day on a new site here in town.  I'm not sure of the theoretical maximums of B41, but another 20mb jump doesnt seem out of this realm.  :shrug:

Wonder if this speed test is accurate and not a fluke....

https://twitter.com/dattoae/status/603330045403344898

I nailed a 77mb down/14mb up speed test the other day on a new site here in town.  I'm not sure of the theoretical maximums of B41, but another 20mb jump doesnt seem out of this realm.  :shrug:

mXuK3tz.png

• Like 5

Thanks!  Looks like I was flirting with the edge of what is possible with B41 in its current state.  

I now wonder how some folks seem to pull off some flukey speed tests.  Someone put in the wrong configuration?   :)

"Expect in 18 to 24 months, our network will be No. 1 (or) 2"

Pretty bold prediction/statement from Marcelo at the Code Conference.

TS

The comments on these articles are so funny. On CNET's Google+ post about this the comments were all:

1) Sprint sux...

2) No they won't...

3) I switched 2 years ago to T-Mobile and...

P.S. Someone was actually talking about how Sprint sucks and they switched 2 years ago. How does 2 years ago relate to now again?

• Like 3

Thanks!  Looks like I was flirting with the edge of what is possible with B41 in its current state.  

I now wonder how some folks seem to pull off some flukey speed tests.  Someone put in the wrong configuration?   :)

If someone put in the wrong configuration the entire network goes to shit. You do not under any circumstances mix different TDD time frames configurations near each other. 

The existing TDD configuration 1 that's being used is best suited for peaceful coexistence with the Wimax network until it is sunset. Then they can switch the config to whatever they see best... like the downlink oriented Configuration 2. 

• Like 2

The comments on these articles are so funny. On CNET's Google+ post about this the comments were all:

1) Sprint sux...

2) No they won't...

3) I switched 2 years ago to T-Mobile and...

P.S. Someone was actually talking about how Sprint sucks and they switched two years ago. How does 2 years ago relate to now again?

Because most people don't read s4gru.

They switched to TMO and as long as TMO is good enough, they're not gonna switch back. Sprint is in a huge hole (negative brand equity)

• Like 3

Because most people don't read s4gru.

They switched to TMO and as long as TMO is good enough, they're not gonna switch back. Sprint is in a huge hole (negative brand equity)

The words "KIA" or "Hyundai" were poison at one point, now they are a force to be reckoned with.

As Sprint continues to improve, consumers will forget their past..

• Like 16

Except Sprint doesn't have negative brand equity Maximus. Their Q score was neutral as of last fall, which I'd expect has probably improved slightly since then. Intermediate to long term they certainly need to get better in this area.. Compared to the other 4 carriers they're certainly behind here here, but I expect this to continue improving as a lagging indicator following continued network improvements.

• Like 3

I completely disagree with any notion that all people who have unlimited data somehow are data hogs. If all carriers decide to switch away from unlimited data and go to expensive per gb data plans at the price points of AT&T, Verizon, and Google Fi, there will be a massive surge of unlimited data users, both those who use it moderately and heavily, to tablets, where everything will be downloaded at home onto tablets without any mobile connections to them besides wifi, then cheap prepay voice services the carriers will lose tons on. There are millions of people who will not pay the expensive prices on Verizon and AT&T, along with Google Fi.

It is quite unlikely Sprint will get rid of unlimited prior to T-Mobile. I'd bet on Sprint keeping it around until then, if I had the money to bet. Besides, just because Marcelo says unlimited eventually will go away, doesn't mean that current unlimited customers will lose it, just that it no longer will be offered. Although if I'm wrong about that, what I said in the last paragraph likely will happen, with carriers losing a lot of customers. AT&T and Verizon may not be impacted, but surely Sprint and T-Mobile would. So my thought it that if Sprint and T-Mobile get rid of unlimited, whether or not that includes current unlimited customers' use of it, both companies likely will provide reasonable rates for every gb.

After which, no one but really extremely heavy users will pay through the nose, if they don't have the sense of leaving for wifi tablet use instead.