Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

P.S. Someone was actually talking about how Sprint sucks and they switched 2 years ago. How does 2 years ago relate to now again?

Belief is stronger than fact -- that is how religion has persisted in the age of reason.

Many people still think that Sprint "sucks."  Meanwhile, T-Mobile was in the gutter but has somehow managed to turn around its public perception so that Magenta is now "nifty shit."  Fact or not, that is belief.

Sprint needs to reverse the trend -- otherwise, Sprint is in trouble.  While T-Mobile cannot support a subscriber base much larger than that of Sprint, T-Mobile can ride the swell and stem the tide for a few years.  But, if so, T-Mobile can and quite likely will "suck" again -- in its core urban markets.

Will Sprint be viable between now and then to challenge, though?  That is the question...

AJ

• Like 8

The words "KIA" or "Hyundai" were poison at one point, now they are a force to be reckoned with..

As Sprint continues to improve, consumers will forget..

I didn't say they wouldn't. But by then the iron may be cold. TMO will have dealt with their rural problem and duo won't just allow massive defections without fighting. Att may even finally shelve its dividend/stock repurchase to deal with capacity issues.

Plus with Altice's entry into US, buying suddenlink and soon rest of top 10 cable cos, it may buy TMO. Its French wired unit, numericable, bought SFR wireless to enter a 4-carrier market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except Sprint doesn't have negative brand equity Maximus. Their Q score was neutral as of last fall, which I'd expect has probably improved slightly. Intermediate to long term they certainly need to get better in this area.. Compared to the other 4 carriers they're certainly behind here here, but I expect this to continue improving as a lagging indicator following continued network improvements.

I think he means reputation instead of equity in the sense the word typically is used. Although for people who really want unlimited, if T-Mobile gets rid of it while Sprint keeps it, many people, if not most, will switch to Sprint regardless of reputation, as long as Sprint works reliably well enough where they are located. The only difference with this, is if T-Mobile gets rid of unlimited, but charges reasonable per gb data rates.

This is not good news...

Sprint CEO says unlimited data plans won't stay around forever

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/27/8675159/sprint-unlimited-data-plans-not-forever-ceo-says

Sent via BlinkFeed

I'm okay with that. Unlimited can tend to congest the network with heavy data users. As long as they have good data plans I think everything would work out fine, say like a 50gb plan for X amount.

• Like 1

Belief is stronger than fact -- that is how religion has persisted in the age of reason.

Many people still think that Sprint "sucks."  Meanwhile, T-Mobile was in the gutter but has somehow managed to turn around its public perception so that Magenta is now "nifty shit."  Fact or not, that is belief.

Sprint needs to reverse the trend -- otherwise, Sprint is in trouble.  While T-Mobile cannot support a subscriber base much larger than that of Sprint, T-Mobile can ride the swell and stem the tide for a few years.  But, if so, T-Mobile can and quite likely will "suck" again -- in its core urban markets.

Will Sprint be viable between now and then to challenge, though?  That is the question...

AJ

This I completely agree with. There is so much hypocrisy in the issue between T-Mobile and Sprint, as Sprint cannot seem to do any good in the opinions of these T-Mobile fans. All despite the fact Sprint is improving greatly.

Something I don't think anyone is arguing???

I wouldn't say arguing, but there are people very much against the idea of unlimited data, thinking its a plan that is being misused by the nature of what it seems to attract, even if it isn't the purpose of it. The two sides appear to be those who think unlimited is a tool used by people to misuse data, or to abuse it, while others say that if its offered, then there's no fault to using it as much as possible, and that any notion of misuse and abuse of unlimited, is faulty because of what it claims to offer, that being unlimited.

I'm not defending nor criticizing either side of the issue, as both have valid points, and both have problems with their claims. Although I think most unlimited data users are at least responsible people in what they use it for, even in heavy uses, just as light uses. And to claim everyone who has it is one way or the other, isn't the right thing to do, to judge.

• Like 1

I didn't say they wouldn't. But by then the iron may be cold. TMO will have dealt with their rural problem and duo won't just allow massive defections without fighting. Att may even finally shelve its dividend/stock repurchase to deal with capacity issues.

Plus with Altice's entry into US, buying suddenlink and soon rest of top 10 cable cos, it may buy TMO. Its French wired unit, numericable, bought SFR wireless to enter a 4-carrier market.

Wireless demand will continue to explode, we are far from a "good enough" state. In fact, as demand continues to increase so will the need for faster and more consistent network performance.

We all know how Marcelo can say we are going to be 1 or 2 within the next 24 months, its basically inevitable.

I'm okay with that. Unlimited can tend to congest the network with heavy data users. As long as they have good data plans I think everything would work out fine, say like a 50gb plan for X amount.

What do you think about a plan, say if unlimited was no longer available, but a rate of $95 Monthly for 45gb was offered. I think it is a fair price, along with $75 Monthly for 35gb, and $55 for 25gb, the latter being similar to what Cricket offered for its Advanced plan some months ago.

Could this mean the meeting with Son went really well?

From the paragraph immediately following the 1 or 2 comment

Claure said he has spent hours in Tokyo working with the carrier’s major investor, SoftBank, and its chief executive, Masayoshi Son, to develop a plan for re-architecting Sprint’s network. He said it boasts a rich allocation of wireless spectrum but has nonetheless been plagued by poor service.

Yeah I'd say it went alright...

• Like 6

That's what I assumed. The CNET article states:

Claure said he has a plan for the network build-out, but wouldn't specify the cost, noting only that he has the financial means. Japanese carrier Softbank is a majority shareholder in Sprint, and Claure said CEO Masayoshi Son has made a "pretty strong commitment to build a strong network."

• Like 6

I hope so, and while I don't have any issue with what Marcelo said, making claims of the network being #1 or #2 in that time frame is going to get the T-tantrums ranting.

• Like 3

I wouldn't say arguing, but there are people very much against the idea of unlimited data, thinking its a plan that is being misused by the nature of what it seems to attract, even if it isn't the purpose of it. The two sides appear to be those who think unlimited is a tool used by people to misuse data, or to abuse it, while others say that if its offered, then there's no fault to using it as much as possible, and that any notion of misuse and abuse of unlimited, is faulty because of what it claims to offer, that being unlimited.

But you can be of the former mindset; that unlimited data is being abused by a certain portion of the consumer base, potentially negatively impacting the remaining majority and still not believe this:

I completely disagree with any notion that all people who have unlimited data somehow are data hogs.

• Like 1

From the paragraph immediately following the 1 or 2 comment

Yeah I'd say it went alright...

Yeah, I just saw that. I am glad to hear that as there was speculation previously of Softbank not wanting to invest much more with Sprint.

But you can be of the former mindset that unlimited data is being abused by a certain portion of the consumer base potentially negatively impacting the remaining majority and still not believe this:

I'm very tired right now, so I may not be wording these things very well, though I hope I'm at least doing better on making my posts shorter than they use to be at times.

I don't really have any strong opinions for or against heavy data usage on unlimited plans, though I admit that there are people who use it in ways which they could use reasonable alternatives as means of freeing up the network, mainly using their devices at home for data heavy uses such as video watching, when they have wifi right there. However, I understand the viewpoint they have about the wording of the plan their on stating unlimited, which these people use in their defense of their usage. It is when they say this, that I have difficulty being against what they are saying, as long as they aren't doing something the terms of service does not allow.

The point I was trying to make, and what I wasn't very clear on, as I said I'm tired, is that not everyone who has unlimited uses it in the way people who aren't as supportive of unlimited would claim as misuse. Many unlimited users use it under what is considered normal and moderate by these same people. Then again, I'm not claiming such and such data use is misuse or wrong, only pointing out that there are people who do and their dislike for unlimited sometimes gives them an outlook of unlimited being an excuse for data abusers to abuse their service, when that isn't always the case, and not everyone who has unlimited would do such, granted there isn't any defined usage categories given by the carriers to define what such and such use is moderate or heavy, although they have given averages.

I'm just not judgmental about it., is what I can say.

Something I don't think anyone is arguing???

Amen -- pardon any other ironic/poetic/trolling comments from maximus on that issue.

Arysyn, your heart may be in the right place, but your mind is not.  You want inexpensive wireless data.  You want "unlimited" data  -- or arbitrarily lower per GB costs.  But, if anything, wireless data is not expensive enough -- especially if it is "unlimited."

If given no limits, people will use and use and use.  It is part of the seemingly existential human condition.  But is it healthy?  Is it even sustainable? 

Now, you can make the argument that wireless networks need to keep up with demand.  Put up, or shut up.  But can those networks do so?  Or do those networks need to put in place roadblocks -- price or caps?

I am hardly a wanton capitalist.  But if a person wants to use 40 GB of cellular data per month, for example, while I use less than 1 GB of cellular data, then that person needs to pay more than I do.  Or that person is abusing the system and is part of the problem.

AJ

• Like 6

Amen -- pardon any other ironic/poetic/trolling comments from maximus on that issue.

Arysyn, your heart may be in the right place, but your mind is not.  You want inexpensive wireless data.  You want "unlimited" data  -- or arbitrarily lower per GB costs.  But, if anything, wireless data is not expensive enough -- especially if it is "unlimited."

If given no limits, people will use and use and use.  It is part of the seemingly existential human condition.  But is it healthy?  Is it even sustainable? 

Now, you can make the argument that wireless networks need to keep up with demand.  Put up, or shut up.  But can those networks do so?  Or do those networks need to put in place roadblocks -- price or caps?

I am hardly a wanton capitalist.  But if a person wants to use 40 GB of cellular data per month, for example, while I use less than 1 GB of cellular data, then that person needs to pay more than I do.  Or that person is abusing the system and is part of the problem.

AJ

While I seem to defend unlimited on certain areas of discussion, on other areas i don't. As you mentioned here in this quoted post. you are right and I agree with you on the points you made. However, as long as the carriers are still offering it, and people discuss the pros and cons of it, along with their opinions which are strong on both sides of the issue, I feel that ultimately the carriers are responsible for both the pros and cons of what they are offering and I won't judge the consumer based on that, again as long as they abide by the terms and conditions of their agreement. Yet, I also understand the points being made by people who think along the lines you do, AJ, those points being more suitable to environments where carriers do not offer unlimited data.

The issue I would and do argue is the fairness of pricing of data per gb. I definitely do support getting rid of unlimited, but only if the per gb data rates decrease to a reasonable, affordable level, which for example, Verizon's $80 Monthly ($95 Monthly with first line on Edge) for 10GB is not reasonable nor affordable. Plus, it isn't even an attractive alternative for unlimited data users. I do advocate for a Cricket-style level, based on their 20gb for $55 with autopay Advanced promotion, hoping similar plan strategies would be put into permanent use when unlimited is gone. One thing I've noticed on many news articles' comments sections I've read, is several people, including many unlimited plan users, praising the Cricket promotion. So, something similar to that seems to be a feasible idea carriers could consider as a replacement to unlimited, and certainly a fair situation for all ranges of data use among consumers, granted the less data allotment rates also remain affordable and they aren't forced into paying for larger data buckets than they need by this.

When I had Sprint, much of my time outdoors was on 2.5 and getting around 40mbps, then around 15mbps - 20mbps in Schaumburg, compared with T-Mobile's pathetic 1 Mbps range there.

Personally, I'd like to be able to block 1900, to use only 800 and 2500 when I get back on Sprint two days from now, thankfully getting rid of this hideous T-Mobile service.

Get the Nexus 6 and you can do just that as long as you know your msl number

Get the Nexus 6 and you can do just that as long as you know your msl number

Is there a way to do it with devices other than with a Nexus 6, as I'm not planning to get a Nexus 6, unless for some reason I don't end up back with Sprint on Friday, which the only way I can see that not happening, is if for whatever reason they deny something in the process or refuse to offer me the Kyocera Hydro vibe I plan on using temporarily until the Samsung Note 5 is available.

In that case, if my mother still is against getting Verizon, then we'll likely end up getting expensive Google Fi service with a Nexus 6.

Is there a way to do it with devices other than with a Nexus 6, as I'm not planning to get a Nexus 6, unless for some reason I don't end up back with Sprint on Friday, which the only way I can see that not happening, is if for whatever reason they deny something in the process or refuse to offer me the Kyocera Hydro vibe I plan on using temporarily until the Samsung Note 5 is available.

In that case, if my mother still is against getting Verizon, then we'll likely end up getting expensive Google Fi service with a Nexus 6.

So far I've only got it to work on the nexus 6. If anyone can chime in on it they can to speak up.

No.  Absolutely, it is good news.  Pay for what you use.  If you are a light user, get a price break.  If you are a burden on the network, pay through the nose.

But some people selfishly, irrationally want "unlimited" data, cheap prices, copious LTE bandwidth, and dense networks -- all at the same time.  That is the not so good news...

AJ

I'm fine with paying for what I use, but USA data prices are ridiculously overpriced as are the prices for text messaging and voice calling. And it goes both ways, Sprint can pay me when their swiss cheese network doesn't cover me or my network speeds are so slow they're unusable.

• Like 3

Regardless of what happens with the network, hearing the CEO (and it's parent company) are on-board with a 18-24 month time table, is quite impressive! Network Vision gave them the architecture and base core network on which to build...exciting times in the future for Sprint customers and shareholders for sure.

EDIT: Has anybody found video of the Re/Code talk with Marcelo yet?

• Like 1

Many people still think that Sprint "sucks." Meanwhile, T-Mobile was in the gutter but has somehow managed to turn around its public perception so that Magenta is now "nifty shit." Fact or not, that is belief.

AJ

It's called advertising.

If sprint pulls the unlimited plan it will be a huge bait and switch on their part. They promoted unlimited when the network sucked and it would be a miracle if you could use more than 5Gb a month given the network performance. Still a lot of us stuck with them because of the unlimited data and promise of a better network in the future . If the get rid of it after finally making their network usable, it seems unfair to people like myself who stuck by then through all of the 'pardon our dust' phases.

• Like 5

If sprint pulls the unlimited plan it will be a huge bait and switch on their part. They promoted unlimited when the network sucked and it would be a miracle if you could use more than 5Gb a month given the network performance. Still a lot of us stuck with them because of the unlimited data and promise of a better network in the future . If the get rid of it after finally making their network usable, it seems unfair to people like myself who stuck by then through all of the 'pardon our dust' phases.

I really doubt Sprint is going to force you off the unlimited plans (at least not ANYTIME in the foreseeable future). To my knowledge, Sprint has never forced anyone off legacy plans. 

• Like 2