Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

If you look at recent TMO earnings present and compare with 4q2014, they've greatly increased number of target Wideband markets which means AWS Hspa is shutting down.

Att 2g shutdown is dec 2016 and hopefully TMO's is not far behind.

Indy only has

10fdd AWS lte

5fdd pcs Hspa

5fdd pcs gsm

So not much fallback there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think T-Mobile can shut down GSM, at least in rural markets, because of their use of GMO LTE and its limited range. Shutting down GSM would result in loss of coverage area in rural zones.

I think they'll definitely start refarming GSM in urban cores though.

• Like 2

I don't think T-Mobile can shut down GSM, at least in rural markets, because of their use of GMO LTE and its limited range. Shutting down GSM would result in loss of coverage area in rural zones.

I think they'll definitely start refarming GSM in urban cores though.

Obviously they can only shutdown gsm on full build sites and not GMO lte sites.

They may shutoff gsm on the full build sites to get capacity (even before they upgrade rural sites to full build).

The biggest obstacle is the m2m customers. TMO probably has to tell them a min of a year in advance (unless they've already told their m2m customers)

Let's just clarify WiFi Calling in the U.S. market place.

T-Mobile's WiFi Calling is the Next Generation VoWiFi defined in Release 12 with IP address preservation between Cellular (VoLTE) and WiFi bearers, providing an opportunity for operators to seamlessly extend their voice applications between two different environments, while fully leveraging AMR-WB or HD Voice. It requires modifying the edge of the IMS core by adding ePDG.

Since Verizon has nationwide VoLTE I'm guessing that's what they're in the process of doing as well, but there hasn't been solid confirmation so far.

Sprint's WiFi calling is an older implementation without call continuity and other IMS features.

Great information on VoLTE. You along with @maxsilver shed new light on the subject. Much appreciated. Edited by Houston_Texas

Actually it sucks. Where's the AirTouch-Bell Atlantic = verizon? It's a lazy chart.

It states 10 years, not 15 or even 20 years.

AJ

My Question is, what was the Sprint/Ubiquiti Relationship?

The chart should show UbiquiTel, which was a Sprint affiliate in the West.

AJ

• Like 2

Mexico gov is building a lte-only network that's only 700mhz b28 and will have exclusive access to the entire 90MHz paired.

Will require 12,000 towers.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mexico-eyes-sweeteners-boost-wholesale-225608563.html?.tsrc=applewf

B12 - 30mhz

B13 - 20mhz

B29 - 10mhz SDL

90mhz sure would've been bice

Uh, yeah, hindsight is always "nice" -- and so is already a decade worth of progress.  Unless you and Neal have a hot tub time machine that you can set back about 15 years, your APT 700 MHz dreams are pointless.

AJ

Mexico gov is building a lte-only network that's only 700mhz b28 and will have exclusive access to the entire 90MHz paired.

Will require 12,000 towers.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mexico-eyes-sweeteners-boost-wholesale-225608563.html?.tsrc=applewf

Out of curiosity, if the equivalent were to happen in the US, what would it be like, say would it be larger or smaller than Verizon in terms of speed and capacity aspects of the network, etc.

Out of curiosity, if the equivalent were to happen in the US, what would it be like, say would it be larger or smaller than Verizon in terms of speed and capacity aspects of the network, etc.

It won't happen. 600mhz is last chance for it to happen and it's clearly gonna be auctioned not wholesaled.

It won't happen. 600mhz is last chance for it to happen and it's clearly gonna be auctioned not wholesaled.

I know, but what I meant was theoreticallly, what would such a network be like?

The reason I ask, is I'm developing a theory on how these networks would operate better with a more streamlined spectrum holding, rather than the mish mash of spectrum nowadays belonging to these carriers. It sounds as Mexico may have this right, unlike the US.

The reason I ask, is I'm developing a theory on how these networks would operate better with a more streamlined spectrum holding, rather than the mish mash of spectrum nowadays belonging to these carriers. It sounds as Mexico may have this right, unlike the US.

Mexico is a 2.5 world country whose infrastructure sucks.

We have two companies covering almost everyone with lte and another two soon to cover most people.

It's a wholesale network. It can only sell to wireless companies.

• Like 1

Monopolies provided lower quality goods at higher prices. It doesnt matter if the monopoly is a government one or a private one with the exception of natural monopolies which are kind of like unicorns.

Mexico never gets it right. Trust me on this, their politicians are more crooked than an Englishman's teeth.

The only winners from this wholesale move will be the foreign company (it WILL be foreign, thats for certain) that bribes the officials to handle the new network, the corrupt officials who receive the bribes, and the cartels (because those guys always find a way to win somehow). All they are doing is creating an unnecessary middle man, which in essence makes whoever buys capacity into a glorified MVNO. I expect this to be a failure of epic proportions.

The real losers are the Mexican people. They'll probably see the prices of their data usage rise due to this unnecessary move. Service will probably also suffer as any issues subscribers have with the network will probably have to be relayed from their provider to the operator of the new network.

Having said all that, it does bring the interesting possibility of companies such as Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon renting space in Mexico's 700 MHz network. The article didn't mention if the new network would be leasing by spectrum/bandwidth or just wholeselling bulk access/per usage (I'm assuming the latter), but either way, this could bring up the possibility of international carriers creating affordable roaming options for travel to Mexico.

• Like 1

I misread the intent of the network in Mexico then.

What I'm wondering is, putting aside the Mexico situation seeing as I misunderstood it as being a one network idea to be sold off entirely to one individual company instead of the spectrum being separated to multiple companies for use, I want to know if, take Dish for example, were to get into the wireless market by buying the whole of 600mhz spectrum alone, putting aside their other spectrum holdings for future use, how would their network of 600mhz hold up to the competition here in the U.S.?

I realize what I'm asking isn't relevant, and basically impossible to happen, considering the realities of the U.S. wireless business, but I'm still interested in the idea as a further means to a theory I have involving the streamlining of spectrum in the future, using spectrum swapping among consolidated carriers, if ever the U.S. wireless industry were to consolidate down to three or even two main carriers.

I also realize that such few competitors isn't desired by many here, nor even possible at the moment due to the current administration, though if such were to happen in the future, it would make matters easier for the few main carriers to streamline their spectrum holdings to where they have a few fat pipes of bandwidth using a large amount of a particular spectrum, rather than smaller bunches of spectrum across a range of bands.

Mexico never gets it right. Trust me on this, their politicians are more crooked than an Englishman's teeth.

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

[emoji38]

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

• Like 9

Anyone know how many cell sites each carrier has? I'm curious about these numbers.

Sent from my M8

TMO at least 60k

Currently, Carter said, T-Mobile has fiber backhaul connections to 50,000 of its sites, out of 60,000 total sites. That decreases costs and allows for more data usage on the network, he said.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/t-mobiles-carter-its-myth-sprint-needs-fail-us-succeed/2014-11-13

• Like 1