Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Personally, I'm of the opinion (an unpopular one on this board) that Sprint should go after a 10x10 block of 600 MHz spectrum. While support won't be ready for this band anytime soon, Sprint can at least have a chance to future-proof indoor performance speeds and reliability. I know many on this board don't like the idea, but 2.5 Ghz is just not getting the job done in its current setup.

I honestly don't think you are the minority in the 600 MHz opinion.  I too would have liked to see Sprint bid on some 600 MHz spectrum just to secure some more low band spectrum.  

However at the same time I understand that the future of wireless involves small cells which are suppose to help bridge coverage gaps to provide more capacity in small areas.  The idea of small cells are what makes high band spectrum valuable. I think you also have to be honest in that we have no idea what a macro and small cell network experience is like and how it works with 2.5 GHz spectrum.  You are purely basing the coverage and speed woes on the current macro site deployment which of course is not fair.  Until we see a 2.5 GHz macro and small cell widespread deployment we can't say that it will be a failure.

Face it, the majority of spectrum available in the future is going to be in very high band spectrum (ex:  24 GHz, 28-29 GHz, 31 GHz and 39 GHz, etc) so 20 MHz of 600 MHz is not going to be that big of a deal in the future anyways.  Sprint just doesn't have all the funds in the world to commit to a huge densification project as well as a spectrum auction bid which it cannot use for 4 years.

Remember that small cell planning and deployment (to some extent) at Sprint is happening now and if you are telling me giving Sprint a head start of 4 years (assuming 600 MHz deployment is at the earliest late 2020) is not going to equate to much is ridiculous.  Its like Sprint being late to the LTE game in 2011/2012.  Had Sprint deployed LTE in 2009/2010 with even a LTE 5x5 G block just like when Verizon/AT&T started deploying LTE the growing pains experienced in 2011-2015 the poor reputation and the loss of customers would not have been as dramatic.

Lastly I don't know if I am in the minority on this issue but I feel that Sprint should not even sell off any 2.5 GHz spectrum.  If Sprint has 120-160 MHz of 2.5 GHz spectrum so be it.  Sprint needs all the advantage it can get.  If 2.5 GHz spectrum will truly be the "beach front" spectrum for a 5G network then they need every bit of it. 

• Like 7

I'm hoping to see the densification project pick up steam and we see more small cells.  But one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that I doubt the small cells will have the 8t8r capability that the macro sites have, and supposedly that makes b41 more usable at the cell edge.

I like seeing Sprint make moves in small cell deployment, but after talking on Twitter via direct message with Sprint CEO line, I found out there are no planned upgrades for Alabama in the near future.... (what's near future, I'm not sure)...

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I like seeing Sprint make moves in small cell deployment, but after talking on Twitter via direct message with Sprint CEO line, I found out there are no planned upgrades for Alabama in the near future.... (what's near future, I'm not sure)...

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

:-( Sorry to hear that.

Frankly, it's hard to tell exactly what's going on with Sprint's public reporting of coverage, especially since its Coverage Map says: "Coverage Updated 03/29/2016".

I don't know what's involved with keeping the Coverage Map up to date, but it's a bit upsetting that Sprint doesn't put more of a priority on having the map updated more frequently. It's not like they don't have the data.

People do choose carriers based on Coverage, and having a Coverage Map that hasn't been updated in over 5 Weeks is an issue in my opinion.

I think we all can agree that Sprint has improved a lot. I know for some, it is frustrating because we see Verizon doing this and T-Mobile doing that, but if we take a second and compare Sprint now, to Sprint 2-5 years ago, we all can agree that sprint has come a long way.

My only issue with them is, they're not as transparent with their plans and execution but I understand why.

• Like 3

:-( Sorry to hear that.

Frankly, it's hard to tell exactly what's going on with Sprint's public reporting of coverage, especially since its Coverage Map says: "Coverage Updated 03/29/2016".

I don't know what's involved with keeping the Coverage Map up to date, but it's a bit upsetting that Sprint doesn't put more of a priority on having the map updated more frequently.

People do choose carriers based on Coverage, and having a Coverage Map that hasn't been updated in over 5 Weeks is an issue in my opinion.

I'm sure not too much has changed in coverage.

I'm sure not too much has changed in coverage.

Sprint said during the recent Earnings Call that "Total LTE coverage now reaches nearly 300 million people, including approximately 70 percent being covered by the 2.5 GHz spectrum deployment."

That sounds like an increase to me.

• Like 2

Sprint said during the recent Earnings Call that "Total LTE coverage now reaches nearly 300 million people, including approximately 70 percent being covered by the 2.5 GHz spectrum deployment."

That sounds like an increase to me.

I'm waiting for the map on their site to reflect what was said on the earnings call. When that'll happen I don't know.

I'm waiting for the map on their site to reflect what was said on the earnings call. When that'll happen I don't know.

I'm waiting on that too. Not sure what's going on there, but Marcelo should look into this.

I'm hoping to see the densification project pick up steam and we see more small cells.  But one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that I doubt the small cells will have the 8t8r capability that the macro sites have, and supposedly that makes b41 more usable at the cell edge.

The concept of a small cell is to fill gaps in coverage, so cell edge doesn't really apply anymore.

• Like 2

I think we all can agree that Sprint has improved a lot. I know for some, it is frustrating because we see Verizon doing this and T-Mobile doing that, but if we take a second and compare Sprint now, to Sprint 2-5 years ago, we all can agree that sprint has come a long way.

My only issue with them is, they're not as transparent with their plans and execution but I understand why.

You are absolutely right. The only issue is why did it take soooo long? As we see it was mostly due to poor execution. Waiting to get permits then delayed by those same permits, and so forth. Sprint should have been mostly completed with that at least 1-2 years earlier. Not saying fully complete but much faster than what it took.

Sprint has come along way but at the cost of many customers and the potential loss for new customers. Tmo wouldn't have gained so much momentum if sprints network was where is it now 2 years ago.

The concept of a small cell is to fill gaps in coverage, so cell edge doesn't really apply anymore.

But in the real world there's always going to be a cell edge, especially as you go indoors.  There's going to be places with weak b41 signal and 8t8r sites were supposed to make that weak signal more usable.  If there's no cell edge for b41 and b41 signal is strong everywhere then there would be no need to fall back on b25 and b26.  

But in the real world there's always going to be a cell edge, especially as you go indoors. There's going to be places with weak b41 signal and 8t8r sites were supposed to make that weak signal more usable. If there's no cell edge for b41 and b41 signal is strong everywhere then there would be no need to fall back on b25 and b26.

Ahh, but you are forgetting one thing. Some buildings aren't like others on the ways that they are constructed and signals from outside aren't getting in at all no matter what frequency used. Generalities will run you head first into a brick wall.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

It has been updated.  "Total LTE Coverage..." = Extended + Roaming LTE.  

Plus any new native coverage expansion.

I'm thinking Sprint is waiting until they get more coverage and then you'll see a dramatic update in the coverage map. At least I hope that's what it is.  :fingers:

I'm thinking Sprint is waiting until they get more coverage and then you'll see a dramatic update in the coverage map. At least I hope that's what it is. :fingers:

Nope. Not with the paltry sum of money they dedicated to network expansion for the entirety of 2016.

Almost the entire years funding is towards existing network capacity and coverage improvements.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Nope. Not with the paltry sum of money they dedicated to network expansion for the entirety of 2016.

Almost the entire years funding is towards existing coverage network capacity and coverage improvements.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

So on the Coverage Map, should we expect to see more LTE Plus/LTE continue to cover the remaining areas of 3G on the existing footprint?

Is Project Cedar still moving forward?

So on the Coverage Map, should we expect to see more LTE Plus/LTE continue to cover the remaining areas of 3G on the existing footprint?

Is Project Cedar still moving forward?

Montana?

It's a spectrum protection network. Very low priority but not as low as GMO lands. 

For all of the doubters that Son isn't behind Sprint.

I think we are past the bottom of the V and Sprint is on its way back up.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ap-softbanks-annual-profit-drops-27-pct-on-sprint-woes-2016-5

You may be right but if he said anything but that the stock would fall to free..

Do you think he is happy with a 27% hit because of sprint?

What SoftBank has lost is probably more than what they paid for sprint

Montana?

It's a spectrum protection network. Very low priority but not as low as GMO lands. 

And as for filling in the existing Sprint Coverage, should we expect to see a focus on eliminating costly roaming areas or more of a focus on overlaying LTE in existing 3G areas?

But in the real world there's always going to be a cell edge, especially as you go indoors.  There's going to be places with weak b41 signal and 8t8r sites were supposed to make that weak signal more usable.  If there's no cell edge for b41 and b41 signal is strong everywhere then there would be no need to fall back on b25 and b26.  

My point is that the B41 small cell would be in a location that would bridge that gap or allow for a better/smoother B25/26 fallback.

• Like 1

Would it make sense for sprint to buy 10x10 or 15x15 of 600

Sit on it densify, with small cells then when it's ready to be deployed (600) trade or sell the 800?

Tarek said it wouldn't make sense to participate as there wouldn't be enough spectrum for Sprint to do what it wants to do and that the spectrum would also not actually be deployable until 2021.

LightReading had an article about this... The link doesn't copy well because of () in it, so here's the shortened link: http://tinyurl.com/z5xct5w

"This auction is at best going to give a block of 2x10MHz spectrum," Tarek Robbiati said at the Citi 2016 Internet, Media and Telecommunications Conference. "For a really, really high-speed network you need at least 2x20MHz of contiguous spectrum."

Furthermore, Robbiati suggested, the spectrum won't be available for use until 2021.

Also, bidding on the Auction would tie up a bunch of money that can be used to more quickly densify/expand Sprint's existing network and pay down debt.