Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

In which they are being linked up to Sprint's Ethernet network for business. They aren't for the general consumer. These are going into offices and such.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

Yep. Small business / enterprise stuff. 

In which they are being linked up to Sprint's Ethernet network for business. They aren't for the general consumer. These are going into offices and such.

Are you sure? They could be like Comcast wifi routers.. Everyone with an account can connect. Someone from sprint made a comment of being smarter than giving them away for free. Maybe this is how they plan to cover some buildings with band 41 inside?

Yep. Small business / enterprise stuff. 

So who's going to be able to access these? Only authorized users or will it be open to the general public within range of the device?

Wouldn't a company be upset if it installed one of these and its broadband backhaul got saturated or if usage charges are racked up by someone parking nearby and streaming video over the device's LTE or Wi-Fi?

Answer this question. Why would I need a Sprint Airave device in my home when my phone already has the capability of getting on my wifi at the house and making calls on it as seen in this pic.10140f466836c7b7c5f8b41de7a601fb.jpg

So who's going to be able to access these? Only authorized users or will it be open to the general public within range of the device?

Wouldn't a company be upset if it installed one of these and its broadband backhaul got saturated or if usage charges are racked up by someone parking nearby and streaming video over the device's LTE or Wi-Fi?

I think the intent is that they (business/enterprise) can deploy public wifi in a retail or business environment at very little upfront cost, and in exchange Sprint gets more coverage indoors for normal customers.

Answer this question. Why would I need a Sprint Airave device in my home when my phone already has the capability of getting on my wifi at the house and making calls on it as seen in this pic.

For simplicity.  And if you leave the house while on a call that the call won't drop.  But from what I've heard the Sprint airave isn't very good at handoffs to begin with.

Are you sure? They could be like Comcast wifi routers.. Everyone with an account can connect. Someone from sprint made a comment of being smarter than giving them away for free. Maybe this is how they plan to cover some buildings with band 41 inside?

That was Dr. John Saw, CTO who made that comment (Posted here).

Sprint Planning Will Bring LTE Plus Home to You

Some really good comments from Dr. John Saw, CTO in the Article about the advantages of Sprint's 2.5GHz Spectrum and what it means for 5G. Dr. Saw had some interesting remarks about Indoor Coverage solutions for 2.5 as well:

"We have developed indoor solutions with 2.5 in them, and I don't want to talk more about what we're doing, because it's too early. It's easy to put 2.5 in a Wi-Fi hotspot ... [but] we're going to be a lot smarter than giving away free routers," he said.

Answer this question. Why would I need a Sprint Airave device in my home when my phone already has the capability of getting on my wifi at the house and making calls on it as seen in this pic.10140f466836c7b7c5f8b41de7a601fb.jpg

These routers also have VoLTE capability so whenever that comes around (likely 2017-ish) you'll be able to have a better LTE signal indoors for that.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

That was Dr. John Saw, CTO who made that comment (Posted here).

Sprint Planning Will Bring LTE Plus Home to You

Some really good comments from Dr. John Saw, CTO in the Article about the advantages of Sprint's 2.5GHz Spectrum and what it means for 5G. Dr. Saw had some interesting remarks about Indoor Coverage solutions for 2.5 as well:

The question is how does the backhaul work? If i am using my landline isp as backhaul i don't see the value add.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Not worried about having VoLTE. Not that big of a deal to me. Nor do I think it is all that great to begin with. Heck I can do voice and video on bbm app right now using my data connection plus the same with skype and messaging plus. And yes I have unlimited

For simplicity. And if you leave the house while on a call that the call won't drop. But from what I've heard the Sprint airave isn't very good at handoffs to begin with.

It works if you have some coverage outside the house and you're handing off from the airave to the macro site. It will not hand off from a macro site to the airave though. It's one way.

LTE would be nice even if just to keep the phone from constantly scanning for LTE while on the airave.

Unfortunately wifi calling isn't an option for everyone. It still isn't available on Nexus devices, doesn't hand off at all, and the people I know on Sprint with Galaxy S5s and S6s constantly have problems with it, where it stops working several times a day and requires being toggled off and on again to reconnect.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 1

Not worried about having VoLTE. Not that big of a deal to me. Nor do I think it is all that great to begin with. Heck I can do voice and video on bbm app right now using my data connection plus the same with skype and messaging plus. And yes I have unlimited

I was in that category for quite a while. That said, there's occasions I have used simultaneous voice and data on Verizon since I switched to VoLTE. It was nice to be on the phone and order pizza. I would have had to hang up the phone if I were on Sprint. Not saying this is a big deal but it was a nice feature to have. Also remember OTT VoIP does not have the QoS controls VoLTE has. I have had better luck with VoLTE than FaceTime Audio on Verizon. 

Verizon has, if anything, a less dense cell grid than Sprint but they have been able to make VoLTE work where I live. In some ways I'm experiencing less dropped calls on VoLTE than I was on the CDMA network here which Verizon was kind of leaving to rot. Maybe Sprint's calculus is different since Sprint has a more advanced CDMA network where they cover over Verizon. 

The key for Sprint is to get VoLTE right. Launch it when it is ready to launch. The worst thing they could do is throw out a half-baked implementation. 

• Like 4

True but the fact of the matter is that Sprint will be adopting VoLTE as a way to free up spectrum to use for LTE. There is no escaping it.

• Like 2

Absolutely! What Marcelo needs to do is to make a deal like no one has ever seen before. It'll be this yuuuuuuggge deal where he's going to get U.S. Cellular to meeerrrggge into Sprint and I tell you it's going to be so great. Sprint's got so much more spectrum than ANYbody its like no comparison there. But that's not all. The new Sprint is going to be so amazing, I tell you. Not only is Marcelo going to get U.S. Cellular, but he's going bring jobs back to Sprint there will be so much business going back to Sprint and all the other carriers are going to be so envious that Sprint will need to build a wall around its corporate headquarters, but I tell you Marcelo is going to do it, and he's going to get John Legere to personally pay for it.

Althoughhh, Sprint might decide to make a deal with T-Mobile, I don't know, but I'm sure if it did, it would be great, really great. Marcelo and John are friends, really great friends. And you know that whatever deal they may make, it'll be great. But whatever happens, Sprint will be great again!

This is definitely your best post ever.

• Like 10

Having VoLTE support will enable iPhone users to talk and send/receive iMessages (which go over data) at the same time.

In an enterprise environment, everything is managed from the routers to the switches and to the access points. It's no big deal to any entity who has a half decent IT department with enterprise equipment to allocate bandwidth to it. These will act as additional access points and LTE cells for business customers / workers / or visitors just like DAS systems businesses install. 

In addition, enterprise / business internet deals are usually negotiated for uptime / support services and data speed tiers. There are no arbitrary data caps for enterprise / business internet lines which indoor small cells are connected to. 

• Like 5

Ok I read the earnings call transcript, and from my point of view looks like Sprint is basically getting their financial house in order for merger in 2017 under a new administration. I didn't buy the excuse of municipal permits until 2017.

I don't want to be pessimistic, but that has been Massa dream from the start and he never abandoned it.

Ok I read the earnings call transcript, and from my point of view looks like Sprint is basically getting their financial house in order for merger in 2017 under a new administration. I didn't buy the excuse of municipal permits until 2017.

I don't want to be pessimistic, but that has been Massa dream from the start and he never abandoned it.

That seems like a reach.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I could see benefits out of it but I just don't see the public support. That said, if you speak of giving Neville Ray an extra 200 MHz of LTE spectrum and double his capex you would see what might compete for the fastest and best LTE network on Planet Earth as well as roll up into the 5G era with a bullet.

That said I think the Sprint end of things like KC would pretty much get decimated. I can see both sides of it. Not a pretty picture on that end if there's a merger, because Masa already tipped his hand as to who runs it. That said if it happens I would likely end up welcoming new Magentan overlords.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Marcelo tweeting that he is going after Tmobile subs really doesn't jive with your assumption.

Plus there is so much coverage overlap between both carriers, also it be a massive undertaking to merge them, and will surely be chaotic, no matter who's at the helm.

Merging them would be awful, id rather see 4 national carriers taking 80 million subs each.

Marcelo tweeting that he is going after Tmobile subs really doesn't jive with your assumption.

Plus there is so much coverage overlap between both carriers, also it be a massive undertaking to merge them, and will surely be chaotic, no matter who's at the helm.

Merging them would be awful, id rather see 4 national carriers taking 80 million subs each.

I think three is more rational, given the regulation costs the companies face. There is already a hint in the quarterly earnings that local permitting issues have or are going to delay Sprint's densification plans.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

The big advantage of 2.5 LTE femtocells over wifi is range; in licensed spectrum Sprint can put out a lot more power than WiFi and interference should be be much lower. Get a few Sprint customers in each big apartment building to install a femtocell+wifi router and they'll have their small cell deployment in urban areas. Or, more ambitiously, work with Big Cable to build 2.5 LTE into each gateway they rent.

• Like 1

I have the same opinion as you about 4 wireless carriers, and I don't want folks in Kansas city and at the local level losing their jobs. However these Japanese overlords have wanted a merger from day one. Sprint with a super fast LTE network with good coverage everywhere would be start adding millions of subscribers, but little Massa is obsesse with scale.

Also I don't want a merger because then Magentans would claim the credit of using the 160 mhz of 2.5ghz into a super beast of network when in reality Sprint is heading that direction slowly but sure.

There will be no merger not now and not in the near future.  First Democrats likely take the house.  Secondly, Sprint stock is too low for merger.  Thirdly, other countries with less than half of our population still thrive with 3 national carriers.  So there is no reason why all four carriers cannot prosper in US.