Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

That is unfortunate.

Part of the whole "simplification" process. This is all the reason I'm still on Framily. There is no option outside of Family Data Share to have a certain amount of data below Unlimited, and frankly, I just don't need much data most of the time.

• Like 5

Part of the whole "simplification" process. This is all the reason I'm still on Framily. There is no option outside of Family Data Share to have a certain amount of data below Unlimited, and frankly, I just don't need much data most of the time.

Good point. There should have been a family version of this.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Press release is live

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-seeks-to-end-consumer-confusion-frustration-with-wireless-industrys-first-ever-all-in-pricing-plan.htm

Streaming video speeds will be limited to 600Kbps at all times, which may impact quality.

..."at all times" seems kind of concerning to me. :blink:

Does this really mean anything above 240p YouTube videos just don't have enough bandwidth to work?

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2853702?hl=en

I don't stream video often at all, but sometimes Disney Jr sure comes in handy...

Edited by joshuam
  • Like 2

Sprint has way too many plans floating around. They need to be eliminated/consolidated. It seems like something new is coming out every few months, and everyone is stuck on some plan that doesn't exist anymore.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Well, they aren't going to get rid of old plans that people are still on. Sprint doesn't force people off plans. That would kill them.

Sprint doesn't really end plans. They just stop promoting them and focus on the new ones. That way, if someone wants an old plan, they can still get it or keep it. If they didn't do that, they'd be criticized for that too. Taking away plans that people still use and want is not a good idea.

It really is the best of both worlds. Why not keep old plans available while promoting and emphasizing the new plans?

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

Well, they aren't going to get rid of old plans that people are still on. Sprint doesn't force people off plans. That would kill them.

Sprint doesn't really end plans. They just stop promoting them and focus on the new ones. That way, if someone wants an old plan, they can still get it or keep it. If they didn't do that, they'd be criticized for that too. Taking away plans that people still use and want is not a good idea. 

It really is the best of both worlds. Why not keep old plans available while promoting and emphasizing the new plans?

Well again this plan allin was around since the holidays i believe, but had international roaming, and teather but maybe not.

This moderately concerns me. While I am not a heavy user (I top out at about 3gigs), I do like to be able to watch some videos (watch ESPN, etc) while out and about. I'm not sure if this will be possible limited to that speed.
  • Like 1

It's getting to the point where the old terms are much better, giving me a sense of loyalty credit. For example, my roaming allowance is 300MB, and 800 Minutes.  I don't ever roam, but people get more roaming on older plans than on new plans.  The other issue with the new plans is that video throttling.  Sure, video streaming bogs the network down quite a bit, but with B41 coming live in more places and none of the competition throttling video this hard, I find it hard to justify.  Still, I'm unaffected since I'm on a great legacy plan. 

• Like 5

My opinion FWIW, and I’m not advocating using your phone to continuously steaming video on an unlimited data plan, but Sprint needs drop this 600 kpbs streaming restriction quick and in a hurry.  And here’s why.

I use my wife as an example of a real world Sprint user.  She is tech savvy but not a techie.  She knows how to use technology and just wants it to work.  What she looks for in technology is price, what you get, and whether it works. 

The price is great on this plan.  What you get is the thought of unlimited.  But if she tries to stream a Youtube video or play a cartoon for the kids at 600 kbps and its grainy, choppy, or having to continuously buffer, then she would be so p*ssed off.  I can hear the questions now:

Why are we paying for this unlimited data if we can’t use it?

Where did all this money go Sprint paid for all these network improvements if you can’t stream a video?

The typical Sprint customer is not a member of this site.  The typical Sprint customer doesn’t know/care about network congestion or data abuse.  The typical Sprint customer will not understand why they have unlimited data, showing LTE as a connection, and can’t stream video.  They will soon no longer be Sprint customers.

Edited by AppleFanBoy
  • Like 13

My opinion FWIW, and I’m not advocating using your phone to continuously steaming video on an unlimited data plan, but Sprint needs drop this 600 kpbs streaming restriction quick and in a hurry. And here’s why.

I use my wife as an example of a real world Sprint user. She is tech savvy but not a techie. She knows how to use technology and just wants it to work. What she looks for in technology is price, what you get, and whether it works.

The price is great on this plan. What you get is the thought of unlimited. But if she tries to stream a Youtube video or play a cartoon for the kids at 600 kbps and its grainy, choppy, or having to continuously buffer, then she would be so p*ssed off. I can hear the questions now:

Where did all this money go Sprint paid for all these network improvements if you can’t stream a video?

The typical Sprint customer is not a member of this site. The typical Sprint customer doesn’t know/care about network congestion or data abuse. The typical Sprint customer will not understand why they have unlimited data, showing LTE as a connection, and can’t stream video. They will soon no longer be Sprint customers.

Great point. If TMO has a more fragile network with about the same subscribers as Sprint. And sprint has the best technology deployed of any carrier... why can i stream youtube videos, or stream a podcast with them. But about 1/4 of the time doing the same action with sprint makesme want to throw the phone [emoji12]

And i get it thats not every ones experience here, but in the real world it seems that way.

Oh and shared between two phones our monthly useage on any carrier tops out at 14gb typical near 9gb so i dont feel we are data hogs.

• Like 2

Same here.  Entire family is still on an old ED1500 plan.  Averaging across all 4 lines, we each consume 5-6gb per month.

Much of that data is streaming kids video (disney, youtube, etc) when we are out and about or camping where wifi is not available.  If that data was limited to 600 kbps, it would absolutely be painful.

I am a bigger fan of throttling back at times of heavy tower loading for ALL users rather than the absolute 600 kbps limit that appears to be in place for these 'new' plans.   What a joke.

• Like 5

My opinion FWIW, and I’m not advocating using your phone to continuously steaming video on an unlimited data plan, but Sprint needs drop this 600 kpbs streaming restriction quick and in a hurry. And here’s why.

I use my wife as an example of a real world Sprint user. She is tech savvy but not a techie. She knows how to use technology and just wants it to work. What she looks for in technology is price, what you get, and whether it works.

The price is great on this plan. What you get is the thought of unlimited. But if she tries to stream a Youtube video or play a cartoon for the kids at 600 kbps and its grainy, choppy, or having to continuously buffer, then she would be so p*ssed off. I can hear the questions now:

The typical Sprint customer is not a member of this site. The typical Sprint customer doesn’t know/care about network congestion or data abuse. The typical Sprint customer will not understand why they have unlimited data, showing LTE as a connection, and can’t stream video. They will soon no longer be Sprint customers.

I fully agree. Sprint should just drop that 600kbps for video. Besides the way that most people are now they will be looking for wifi anyways. I think the plan is nice but if sprint wants clean up their image and not being named the trash carrier that 600kbps has to go. People only judge by what they see.

These new plans are enticing but when reading the terms I just can't let go of my legacy plan at all even if it is $10 more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

It's getting to the point where the old terms are much better, giving me a sense of loyalty credit. For example, my roaming allowance is 300MB, and 800 Minutes. I don't ever roam, but people get more roaming on older plans than on new plans. The other issue with the new plans is that video throttling. Sure, video streaming bogs the network down quite a bit, but with B41 coming live in more places and none of the competition throttling video this hard, I find it hard to justify. Still, I'm unaffected since I'm on a great legacy plan.

Exactly. That's why you're probably glad they don't get rid of old plans, right?

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

• Like 4

Exactly. That's why you're probably glad they don't get rid of old plans, right?

I pay $45 for Unlimited on Framily. I'm riding it as long as the ship will sail. I could in theory pay $65 for what new customers are paying $80 for. :rasp:

• Like 4

600kbps streaming is not going to be popular. It is basically saying it's an unlimited plan without streaming.

My fear with it is new customers. People who have been considering Sprint for awhile and want to make the jump to Sprint unlimited because they can't currently stream anything. Sales people are not going to tell them about streaming limitations. They are just going to be unhappy when it doesn't work or work well. And when they find out after the fact why, it's going to hurt Sprint's image with these new customers. They will feel duped.

600kbps is too low. But if Sprint has to set it to such a Draconian level, it really illustrates what wide open unlimited is doing to its network.  Unlimited is officially on life support.

• Like 11

Dropping the 600kbs *possible* throttle would be idiotic. However sprint could word it quite a bit better.

Something more like:

"At Sprint we are reserving the right to potentially limit the ability to stream video to <whatever resolution the throttle is 'rated'> on our new value oriented plans. This right is reserved to keep our newly renovated network in peak performance for all our users and should not be utilized in everyday scenarios."

Do you think when Sprint stops offering unlimited data, that legacy plans will also be affected?  That's my concern.  I have a feeling that Sprint will follow AT&T's stance.  Try to get customers off unlimited, but still offer it on upgrades for long-term customers that are grandfathered in.

• Like 1

600kbps streaming is not going to be popular. It is basically saying it's an unlimited plan without streaming.

My fear with it is new customers. People who have been considering Sprint for awhile and want to make the jump to Sprint unlimited because they can't currently stream anything. Sales people are not going to tell them about streaming limitations. They are just going to be unhappy when it doesn't work or work well. And when they find out after the fact why, it's going to hurt Sprint's image with these new customers. They will feel duped.

600kbps is too low. But if Sprint has to set it to such a Draconian level, it really illustrates what wide open unlimited is doing to its network. Unlimited is officially on life support.

Except its not an issue yet on tmo, nor the other networks. I dont think every - heck even 20% of sprint users consume more than 7gb a month.

Do you think when Sprint stops offering unlimited data, that legacy plans will also be affected?  That's my concern.  I have a feeling that Sprint will follow AT&T's stance.  Try to get customers off unlimited, but still offer it on upgrades for long-term customers that are grandfathered in.

That could very well happen.  Nothing like that has ever happened at Sprint before to my knowledge.  So it would be unprecedented.  But hey, it's possible.  Marcelo is going to take Sprint to #1 or #2 in performance.  And he isn't going to allow streamers, or at least new customer streamers, to stop them.

• Like 1

That could very well happen. Nothing like that has ever happened at Sprint before to my knowledge. So it would be unprecedented. But hey, it's possible. Marcelo is going to take Sprint to #1 or #2 in performance. And he isn't going to allow streamers, or at least new customer streamers, to stop them.

Well if it can't handle streaming

- better change the new add

- not going to be number 2 or 1

• Like 4

Well if it can't handle streaming

- better change the new add

- not going to be number 2 or 1

What do you mean?  Testing by RootMetrics and OOKLA do not check streaming speeds, just download/upload speeds.  Sprint could be ranked #1 in performance and have 600kbps streaming limitations.

What do you mean? Testing by RootMetrics and OOKLA do not check streaming speeds, just download/upload speeds. Sprint could be ranked #1 in performance and have 600kbps streaming limitations.

Lol okay i missed that key verbiage....

Have a nice day

It's getting to the point where the old terms are much better, giving me a sense of loyalty credit.

The other issue with the new plans is that video throttling.  Sure, video streaming bogs the network down quite a bit, but with B41 coming live in more places and none of the competition throttling video this hard, I find it hard to justify.  Still, I'm unaffected since I'm on a great legacy plan. 

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that the legacy plans are unaffected.

And even if legacy plans aren't effected today, I wouldn't be quick to assume that will continue indefinitely.

Previous "network load reduction" changes have sometimes hit legacy plans (such as the double compressing of images).

• Like 1