iPhone 6 omnibus thread

sbolen

While this statement was true a few years ago, this really isn't the case anymore. Android has come a very long way.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

Google's new Material Design language is beautiful. That alone would make me consider hopping over and dual-carrying phones.

Since I do iOS Design/Development, I can't abandon the platform completely. :)

• Like 1

I don't care if the wall plug changes, just please don't abandon the lightning plug. It's the best plug any phone has ever seen. There's nothing worse than micro usb. You spend 600 on a phone, and your plug wiggles.

• Like 3

Is it too much to ask for to have a folding USB charger? I carry my charger around just in case I need to charge my battery, and it would be nice if the points folded in.

On another note, so BGR is reporting that China Mobile leaked the final design of the phone as a splash page on their site. If that is fine, the design is not THAT bad, and reminds me of the One M8. Now the question is build quality and materials. 

Larger screen is fine, but larger battery and better camera is the way to go.

• Like 1

I don't care if the wall plug changes, just please don't abandon the lightning plug. It's the best plug any phone has ever seen. There's nothing worse than micro usb. You spend 600 on a phone, and your plug wiggles.

I never have issues with my lightning charger. The cable has started doing that buckling thing because the my brother and his gf always pull on the damn cord, instead of the white part which is what it's made for. I tell them this, they don't listen. They have now almost destroyed my back up charger cable. 

I do not want them to get rid of the lightning cable. I hate micro USB. Every single phone that I've ever owned that uses it ends up requiring a  new charger cable or specific positioning of the phone for it to charge. I hate that. 

I do not want them to get rid of the lightning cable. I hate micro USB. Every single phone that I've ever owned that uses it ends up requiring a  new charger cable or specific positioning of the phone for it to charge. I hate that. 

Well, the issue might be with you or the people around you.  I have a micro USB charger from an HP TouchPad that I have used on five handsets and three tablets over the past three years.  Because I treat my equipment with respect, I have had no problems with either the charger or the devices.  And the great part is that all of the devices across four different OEMs are compatible with the same charger.  However, the same cannot be said for Apple -- unless you cordon yourself off to the iOS device cult and its proprietary connection.  I know because I have to use a different charger solely for my retina iPad mini.

AJ

Well, the issue might be with you or the people around you.  I have a micro USB charger from an HP TouchPad that I have used on five handsets and three tablets over the past three years.  Because I treat my equipment with respect, I have had no problems with either the charger or the devices.  And the great part is that all of the devices across four different OEMs are compatible with the same charger.  However, the same cannot be said for Apple -- unless you cordon yourself off to the iOS device cult and its proprietary connection.  I know because I have to use a different charger solely for my retina iPad mini.

AJ

I guess I have just always had bad luck with it. And my brother too. Or maybe we just had a crappy non flagship android device that also came with a crappy cheap charger. I just found that the micro usb starts to get loose or wiggle and then it eventually results in the issue above. We have all Apple devices so it's compatible for us cult members  :rasp:

I also treat my equipment with respect. All of them case-less. My 4s had maybe 3 scratches on it up until the day it fell into the sink of water.... And my 5 the same. My 5s has only a dent on the top right due to my dog somehow sliding my phone out of my pocket with the leash. 

Is it too much to ask for to have a folding USB charger? I carry my charger around just in case I need to charge my battery, and it would be nice if the points folded in.

On another note, so BGR is reporting that China Mobile leaked the final design of the phone as a splash page on their site. If that is fine, the design is not THAT bad, and reminds me of the One M8. Now the question is build quality and materials.

Larger screen is fine, but larger battery and better camera is the way to go.

Have you seen the Charge card? It does most of what you're asking for. http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/28/review-chargecard-thin-usb-cable-with-apple-lightning-connector

Another company has a lightning charger that looks like a key and fits on your key ring. Wouldn't work if you were plugging it into a wall, but it would work okay for laptop.

The mini-USB port on my G3 is almost too tight, even after over a month's worth of use.

Is your port too tight or his plug too big?

;)

AJ

• Like 1

Have you seen the Charge card? It does most of what you're asking for. http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/28/review-chargecard-thin-usb-cable-with-apple-lightning-connector

Another company has a lightning charger that looks like a key and fits on your key ring. Wouldn't work if you were plugging it into a wall, but it would work okay for laptop.

All the reviews for both look meh at best. 

I just wish they had a folding USB adapter. That would work for me.

Micro usb always has a little left and right wiggle. Lightning cables do not. They're double-sided (great for dark room charging after a night of cocktails), and, has zero wiggle with a nice, assuring "click" when plugged in. Micro usb drives me nuts.

I'm just glad that the next USB spec has a reversible connector.  I swear 90% of the time when fumbling around plugging something in, I get it wrong the first time.

Bringing this thread back on topic, It's rumored the iPhone 6 may come with a reversible USB connector.  That would be great too.

But is that connector backwards compatible? 

From the pictures I've seen (link), it looks like the  plastic tab is in the middle and then shifts to whatever side is needed when you plug in the connector, so it should work with any USB port.

More recent rumors said that reversible USB won't be part of the iPhone 6, however. :(  

Apparently I am eligible for the upgrade now program. I can actually get a 5s or 5c right now on 2 year contract when I am  159 days ahead of my 2 year upgrade. I will go ahead and do this when the iPhone 6 comes out. Might be one of those people standing in line lol....So excited.

I know we've talked about this a lot, but the early upgrade plans that all of the U.S. carriers are offering will make this iPhone 6 launch just staggeringly huge:

But this year, carriers have figured out a work-around: New early-upgrade plans that essentially amount to phone lease agreements. In exchange for the option to upgrade yearly, customers agree to keep their phones in good working order and turn them in to the carrier when they're done. Customers also pay a higher monthly rate. 

How popular are these early-upgrade plans? Very, according to a June report from research firm NPD. Upgrade plan enrollment more than quadrupled between September 2013 and the end of March, going from 7 to 31 percent.

The reason is perfect for an iPhone launch: "Keeping up with the latest technology was cited by 84 percent of smartphone owners as the most influential reason why they signed up for an early upgrade plan," NPD wrote in June. "Money was next on the owner's mind, with 62 percent saying being able to finance the phone in monthly installments influenced their decision."

/ via http://www.cnbc.com/id/101951404

I'm going to get my phone unlocked and sell it on eBay to pay it forward to stay out of Easy Pay; I like the freedom of paying full price for the phone (or getting 0% interest via Barclaycard Apple financing or AA Miles that I can pay off when I sell my phone).

I'm glad I have a lot of AAPL in my portfolio. This fall is gonna rock.

• Like 3

I know we've talked about this a lot, but the early upgrade plans that all of the U.S. carriers are offering will make this iPhone 6 launch just staggeringly huge:

/ via http://www.cnbc.com/id/101951404

I'm going to get my phone unlocked and sell it on eBay to pay it forward to stay out of Easy Pay; I like the freedom of paying full price for the phone (or getting 0% interest via Barclaycard Apple financing or AA Miles that I can pay off when I sell my phone).

I'm glad I have a lot of AAPL in my portfolio. This fall is gonna rock.

I am just hoping they will let me renew my contract early. I don't want to easy pay or get a barclay card. Just let me lock myself into another 2 years. I'm not going anywhere lol

I am just hoping they will let me renew my contract early. I don't want to easy pay or get a barclay card. Just let me lock myself into another 2 years. I'm not going anywhere lol

I have a feeling that I'll be bringing my wife with me and upgrading her 5S, too - we don't get very good 3G at our house, but can pick up a Clear Band 41 tower down the road (even indoors I can pull ~30Mbps on my hotspot!)...

• Like 2