iPhone 6 omnibus thread

sbolen

Its relatively simple looking, every feature is dumbed down and super easy to learn how to use. Plus it never changes so the old people/wanna be techies never have to learn their way around an update lol:P. Well and it's pretty polish and doesn't really ever have bugs (major noticeable ones) by the time the official release comes out to the public.

For me: simplistic interface with minimal clutter, AppleCare + amazing customer service, iMessage, all my friends have iPhones lol, continuity, and over all ease of use.

Simplicity seems to be the big thing. The one thing I do like about iOS devices no matter the model if you toss your iphone to another iPhone user they will know how to use it vs android has a million different os overlays.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

the larger screen size is actually a bit of a deal breaker for me as I preferred iPhones for their smaller screen size - I have zero desire to carry anything as large as what Samsung and co. are currently pushing.  that being said, 4.7" isn't that bad of a boost, but I'm going to have to wait a while to see some other people with it before I decide to upgrade from my 5S.

should also note that having been an Android user for about 5 years before switching to an iPhone 5 in 2012, there is zero comparison between the two platforms.  Android devices are buggy and awkward. iPhones, by comparison, work perfectly.  this was reinforced about a week or so ago when I had the use of a Galaxy S5 for several days and I'd liken the experience to playing with a toy for a small child. 

• Like 5

I forgot one thing, that'll be a big factor. Apple is combining their ecosystem into one polished, easy to use interface. In what is actually a smart way, they're not half assing it or trying to say your phone needs the same operating system as your desktop(which is kinda what Microsoft headed towards and backpedaled). Being able to have a tablet, laptop, desktop, phone, and god knows what other smart tech that comes out, work together simply and easily (assuming its all fairly up to date) is a huge plus for the average American. Like the majority of iOS users I know, when something isn't working they just take it to the nearest techie person or store and say fix it for me. Now if apple was just willing to compete a little bit better on prices...we'd see a lot more people switching from android and windows, or at least dual booting.

• Like 2

I just can't bring myself you use iOS though. I have a brand new iPad mini retina on my nightstand that I used once or twice since I won it at work. I'm contemplating putting it up for sale.

What's so great about iOS that millions of people go nuts every time a new device is released?

Sent from my Nexus 5

It's ok if you don't like it.  Different strokes for different folks.

• Like 1

It's ok if you don't like it. Different strokes for different folks.

True but I'm getting a little tired of android to be honest. Time to try something new. Maybe when the 6 is released I'll use my wife's 5s to test drive iOS and maybe start using my iPad.

• Like 1

the larger screen size is actually a bit of a deal breaker for me as I preferred iPhones for their smaller screen size - I have zero desire to carry anything as large as what Samsung and co. are currently pushing. that being said, 4.7" isn't that bad of a boost, but I'm going to have to wait a while to see some other people with it before I decide to upgrade from my 5S.

should also note that having been an Android user for about 5 years before switching to an iPhone 5 in 2012, there is zero comparison between the two platforms. Android devices are buggy and awkward. iPhones, by comparison, work perfectly. this was reinforced about a week or so ago when I had the use of a Galaxy S5 for several days and I'd liken the experience to playing with a toy for a small child.

You cannot compare the crap Samsung puts out to iOS, its not fair. The only fair devices to compare to the iPhone experience are the nexus 5, and G3. Both are so much better than any other android phone, software wise. Obviously the nexus has no bloat at all and the G3 is stupendously done. I came from an iPhone 5 and I haven't had a software complaint about my n5, or the G3 I've played with, that want purely just an issue with an update done to an app. Comparing a true android experience done right to an iOS experience is like comparing a red bag of skittles to a blue bag. They've both stolen ideas from each other (cough cough the new hangouts is basically imessages and face time together, apple letting people tweak their skins/settings stuff oh that sounds a lot like android from forever ago until now...), they're essentially the same thing. Android just has more functionality and uses, where iOS sacrificed a lot of that and blocked developer creativity to keep it uber user friendly and simple. Pick your flavor and deal with it, when it comes down to it they both came from the same idea.
  • Like 1

True but I'm getting a little tired of android to be honest. Time to try something new. Maybe when the 6 is released I'll use my wife's 5s to test drive iOS and maybe start using my iPad.

I was the same way.  I was reluctant to give up my blackberry but finally did.  iOS was a bit of a challenge at first but once I became familiar , it was easy. 

I have been assimilated by the apple borg...

I won't leave apple. Another thing for me is how enveloped into the ecosystem I am. We all have apple products. iPhones, MacBook pros and air, Apple TV, iPad. It would be difficult to switch over. Not to mention every single one of my friends I text on a daily basis has a iphone, and now even my mother does. It's just so easy for me not to leave apple because of this. That and I love the products, like the company and it's new mood and vibe it had going for it. I really just want spark. I live in a spark market, and can't use it. I am in the middle of 3 spark sites lol.

• Like 3

While I'm an Apple fan and do love iOS, I'm having a blast with my G3. I love Android just as much as I do iOS, they're just different. I agree with the sentiment that you can't compare iOS to the Samsung TouchWiz (which is a mess). The closest thing to iOS in terms of stability and overall smoothness would be the Nexus 5/G2/G3. Those handsets are awesome in every way.

The biggest reason I'm currently using an Android handset is because you can do so much more with Android that you are locked-out of with on iOS. Android is a much better platform if you're into the "nuts and bolts" of an OS.

There are several things I miss about iOS when I'm using my G3, though. iOS just works and doesn't put up any fuss. iMessage is awesome as is iCloud/iTunes for backup. Beyond that, I've figured out how to bridge the gap between the Apple ecosystem and Android's, to the point that I can live comfortably between the two; we have nothing but Apple products in our house (iPads, iPhones, iMacs, MBPs, Apple TVs...etc).

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

I won't leave apple. Another thing for me is how enveloped into the ecosystem I am. We all have apple products. iPhones, MacBook pros and air, Apple TV, iPad. It would be difficult to switch over. Not to mention every single one of my friends I text on a daily basis has a iphone, and now even my mother does. It's just so easy for me not to leave apple because of this. That and I love the products, like the company and it's new mood and vibe it had going for it. I really just want spark. I live in a spark market, and can't use it. I am in the middle of 3 spark sites lol.

Sounds like our house. Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, 2 Apple TVs, iPad mini, iPad Air, 2 iPhone 5Ss, Airport Extreme... and a basement full of other older Apple Gear that I use to test design/iOS applications with.

Plus, you can't beat the Applications. There's something for everyone... even if the official Sprint app sucks truck nuts.

Kind of off-topic, but I'm spending some free time redesigning the Sprint Zone iPhone app as a purely creative exercise. I'll post those designs here when I'm done, but I wanted to really push the envelope with a carrier app, because they all suck pretty badly.

• Like 5

I have almost all Apple Gear in my home. 2 MacBook Pros, 1 iBook, 2 Toshiba laptops, Power Mac G3 tower, Quadra 840AV. 2 iPhone 3GS's, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, and Nexus 5.

• Like 2

I have almost all Apple Gear in my home. 2 MacBook Pros, 1 iBook, 2 Toshiba laptops, Power Mac G3 tower, Quadra 840AV. 2 iPhone 3GS's, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, and Nexus 5.

I still have my Quadra 660AV - I saved up all summer doing crappy odd jobs to drop the coin on the computer + 15" CRT. I took both to college with me and graduated with both still functioning!

I wonder how many years I'll get out of this early 2011 mbp

My Mid 2009 is still working after 5 years, but the battery is shot and the trackpad click doesn't work much, and the SuperDrive needs to be replaced.

• Like 1

I still have my Quadra 660AV - I saved up all summer doing crappy odd jobs to drop the coin on the computer + 15" CRT. I took both to college with me and graduated with both still functioning!

My grandpa gave me a Centris 600AV, too bad I scratched a pin on the motherboard. But the 840AV was the perfect replacement.

My Mid 2009 is still working after 5 years, but the battery is shot and the trackpad click doesn't work much, and the SuperDrive needs to be replaced.

Pretty sure the trackpad is extremely easy to replace.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/08/10/assembled-47-inch-iphone-6-display-purportedly-shown-off-in-new-photos

Looks like the top bezel is there to stay. I won't be getting the 5.5" phone, even if it has superior specs. I just can't deal with a phone that is going to be ginormous. They did slim down the side bezels though based on the pic.

More parts: http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/08/11/plethora-of-alleged-iphone-6-parts-show-apple-logo-cables-camera-ring

These leaks are starting to look very legit. The parts no longer look cheaply made...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/08/10/assembled-47-inch-iphone-6-display-purportedly-shown-off-in-new-photos

Looks like the top bezel is there to stay. I won't be getting the 5.5" phone, even if it has superior specs. I just can't deal with a phone that is going to be ginormous. They did slim down the side bezels though based on the pic.

More parts: http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/08/11/plethora-of-alleged-iphone-6-parts-show-apple-logo-cables-camera-ring

These leaks are starting to look very legit. The parts no longer look cheaply made...

This is the time of year where I want to punch rumor sites in their face. September 9th feels like 6 months away. Hurry!

• Like 2

Can we just get Apple to focus on the basics? How about incredibly strong RF performer and a massive battery? I love the iPhone more than any other device, but the incremental steps just to keep us hooked for another year are becoming annoying.

• Like 2

Can we just get Apple to focus on the basics? How about incredibly strong RF performer and a massive battery? I love the iPhone more than any other device, but the incremental steps just to keep us hooked for another year are becoming annoying.

Great camera, good screen, amazing RF performance, and much better battery life. Too much to ask? It doesn't need to be 1 mm thinner. Keep it the same size and just put a bigger battery in it and make the screen 4.7"! 

Apple has always pushed the design as a key purchase consideration. With all these leaks, I feel like they lost something. The back housing with the lines looks hideous, and the curved sides just do not appear as smooth as past devices.

Let's see what the final product looks like.

• Like 2