Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

I only ask for current handsets working on a merged network of some sort. If it's too much work to change the firmware, I understand, but if it's a simple setting change, that would just provide another layer of network for Sprint handsets to fall back on in a merged environment.

I am aware lots of Sprint handsets support UMTS and HSPA 14.4.

I am not sure why you are concerned with DC-HSPA+.  It is going the way of the dodo, already gone from AWS in many markets.  It has been moved over to PCS in some markets, but even that will not last long if T-Mobile is serious about band 2 LTE refarming.

AJ

• Like 2

Given the position of TMUS and this Rural roaming hub WRT the 700Mhz A block spectrum, maybe Son isn't worried about 600Mhz in the event of a merger because he won't need it. If the merger isn't approved, then TMUS and Sprint will get more favorable auction terms, so it's good either way?

I wouldn't say concerned, more of a curiosity on my part. But point taken.

Well, if you are that curious, T-Mobile W-CDMA could theoretically broadcast Sprint's MCC-MNC, too.  That is what T-Mobile LTE has done for a quick fix with MetroPCS.

AJ

• Like 5

Given the position of TMUS and this Rural roaming hub WRT the 700Mhz A block spectrum, maybe Son isn't worried about 600Mhz in the event of a merger because he won't need it. If the merger isn't approved, then TMUS and Sprint will get more favorable auction terms, so it's good either way?

It's a fall back position. They definitely want to bid in the 600Mhz auction.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/softbank-ceo-says-there-less-resistance-t-mobile-deal/2014-06-17

Also, I e-mailed Sue Marek and stated that Tony Chien should be banned from commenting on articles regarding Sprint. I try to read FierceWireless for solid information, it gives that, and doesn't really need libelous statements from someone who isn't smart enough to read the fine print on a EasyPlay financing contract.

• Like 6

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/softbank-ceo-says-there-less-resistance-t-mobile-deal/2014-06-17

Also, I e-mailed Sue Marek and stated that Tony Chien should be banned from commenting on articles regarding Sprint. I try to read FierceWireless for solid information, it gives that, and doesn't really need libelous statements from someone who isn't smart enough to read the fine print on a EasyPlay financing contract.

Dang, that Tony Chen guy is a total ass!

-Anthony

• Like 1

LOL look at the article now. It's everybody trolling! 

Also, for people who say I'm never critical of Sprint, geez, do they read S4GRU? I'm critical of Sprint a lot. I just know how to put my critical thoughts out constructively rather than rolling out with "Sprint sux0rs lol lol lol lol".

• Like 8

Yeah that Tony Chien guy flat out lies. Of course there's a couple of other real winners on there like that other t-mobile fanboy fabian cortez AND our old friend maximus advocating for Comcast (of all companies) to buy up pretty much everything  :rolleyes:

• Like 5

Yeah that Tony Chien guy flat out lies. Of course there's a couple of other real winners on there like that other t-mobile fanboy fabian cortez AND our old friend maximus advocating for Comcast (of all companies) to buy up pretty much everything  :rolleyes:

It's just too funny at this point. 

I'm sure the poor FierceWireless people think we're all insane.  :lol:

• Like 5

I am no great fan of large corporations.  But in this age of social media, I would not mind seeing their legal departments pursue legitimate slander/libel litigation against some of these guys.  A lot of them are posting on their phones from their crappy apartments and have no money to defend themselves.  They think that the First Amendment gives them the right to say whatever they wish without responsibility.  A little legal action would put them in their place, could even financially ruin some of them.

AJ

I am no great fan of large corporations.  But in this age of social media, I would not mind seeing their legal departments pursue legitimate slander/libel litigation against some of these guys.  A lot of them are posting on their phones from their crappy apartments and have no money to defend themselves.  They think that the First Amendment gives them the right to say whatever they wish without responsibility.  A little legal action would put them in their place, could even financially ruin some of them.

AJ

I'm shocked Sprint doesn't have people who read social media and, at the least, tell these people what the honest fine print is. If Sprint had stocked an ETF and a repayment demand into EasyPay, every single tech media outlet would blast Sprint for that. 

On second thought, didn't T-Mobile charge ETF's for BYOD plans in the AT&T buyout phase under Phillip Humm? 

http://www.lightreading.com/mobile/4g-lte/sprint-adds-first-12-lte-rural-roaming-partners/d/d-id/709479?

Sarah Reedy mentions T-Mobile is also rumored to join the NetAlliance. On one note, I'm glad T-Mobile is working cooperatively with rural carriers as well if indeed they do sign a deal. Secondly, what will the FierceWireless commenters who don't want deals like that signed do? 

• Like 2

http://www.lightreading.com/mobile/4g-lte/sprint-adds-first-12-lte-rural-roaming-partners/d/d-id/709479?

Sarah Reedy mentions T-Mobile is also rumored to join the NetAlliance. On one note, I'm glad T-Mobile is working cooperatively with rural carriers as well if indeed they do sign a deal. Secondly, what will the FierceWireless commenters who don't want deals like that signed do? 

To accommodate T-Mobile it would seem to put a bit of pressure on those rural carriers to get VoLTE deployed as well as most of them are currently using CDMA for voice.

To accommodate T-Mobile it would seem to put a bit of pressure on those rural carriers to get VoLTE deployed as well as most of them are currently using CDMA for voice.

If it causes them to move faster on VoLTE, great. I realize VoLTE has trade offs in a rural environment but it beats what T-Mobile customers have to deal with right now in rural areas if they dare try T-Mobile out here in the sticks.

If it causes them to move faster on VoLTE, great. I realize VoLTE has trade offs in a rural environment but it beats what T-Mobile customers have to deal with right now in rural areas if they dare try T-Mobile out here in the sticks.

It seems like they're moving rather quick with VoLTE deployment, but what's more interesting to me is that Neville Ray seems to be working extra hard to "sell" his team at the end of the newsroom release: http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/issues-insights-blog/the-un-carrier-network-designed-data-strong.htm

It's common that he acknowledges his team's achievements, but I'm getting this feeling that he's trying too hard for all kinds of different reasons...

This also sounds like a farewell letter of some sort, and it could very well be one of the last ones before the merger announcement.

• Like 1

It seems like they're moving rather quick with VoLTE deployment, but what's more interesting to me is that Neville Ray seems to be working extra hard to "sell" his team at the end of the newsroom release: http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/issues-insights-blog/the-un-carrier-network-designed-data-strong.htm

It's common that he acknowledges his team's achievements, but I'm getting this feeling that he's trying too hard for all kinds of different reasons...

This also sounds like a farewell letter of some sort, and it could very well be one of the last ones before the merger announcement.

I agree, that felt like a farewell and thank you to the team for all they've done. I'd be curious to see how much of the T-Mobile network team stays in place after a merger.

Does Tmo's VoLTE hand off voice calls to WCDMA or EDGE? I hope so, or those early VoLTE markets would be a disaster as people get dropped at the edge of LTE signal. And being on Band 4, that would happen a lot.

If Sprint can get their VoLTE to hand off to CDMA, then it's a no brainer that they should also adopt VoLTE. It will open up a big world of voice roaming, as VoLTE would allow them to roam on any provider, and not be limited to just CDMA providers. Sprint is likely working on VoLTE internally. But they sure aren't tipping their hand at this point.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

I agree, that felt like a farewell and thank you to the team for all they've done. I'd be curious to see how much of the T-Mobile network team stays in place after a merger.

I think Neville definitely will transition over and I would not be surprised to see his whole team do. While John Saw has done a very good job since he took over, I don't think he will survive for very long. 

Edited by bigsnake49

Does Tmo's VoLTE hand off voice calls to WCDMA or EDGE? 

Yes. They use eSRVCC to hand calls off to HSPA or EDGE

Neville Ray talks about the details at http://multimediacapsule.thomsonone.com/t-mobileusa/t-mobile-brings-voice-over-lte-to-seattle

• Like 4

Does anybody think that if Sprint has to divest some spectrum, they might sell PCS block G to Dish eventually? If Dish also bids for the AWS-3 uplink (1695-1710MHz), they can then pair that with their 2180-2200Mhz spectrum for a 20x15MHz block and then aggregate their 2000-2020MHz spectrum with blocks G&H for a 30x10 block. Who knows how much EBS spectrum Sprint will also have to divest, preferably to them. Dish could then turnaround and use EBS spectrum for fixed broadband and their FDD spectrum for mobile broadband. Of course they won't have a network but if they can get Sprint or somebody else to host it for them or purchase T-Mobile's network (after it's integrated with Sprint) they could be quite formidable.

Does Tmo's VoLTE hand off voice calls to WCDMA or EDGE? I hope so, or those early VoLTE markets would be a disaster as people get dropped at the edge of LTE signal. And being on Band 4, that would happen a lot.

If Sprint can get their VoLTE to hand off to CDMA, then it's a no brainer that they should also adopt VoLTE. It will open up a big world of voice roaming, as VoLTE would allow them to roam on any provider, and not be limited to just CDMA providers. Sprint is likely working on VoLTE internally. But they sure aren't tipping their hand at this point.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

If VTel is any indication, Sprint might have VoLTE by early 2015. That'd be awesome!

• Like 2

If VTel is any indication, Sprint might have VoLTE by early 2015. That'd be awesome!

The southern link deal makes me think the same thing. [emoji1]

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk

The southern link deal makes me think the same thing. [emoji1]

I wonder if SoLinc would like to take Sprint's 900MHz spectrum holdings off of Sprint's hands

I wonder if SoLinc would like to take Sprint's 900MHz spectrum holdings off of Sprint's hands

That would be nice.. Then so link could use more of their 800 for LTE..