Comcast to buy Time Warner Cable for $45 billion (USA Today)

COZisBack

I think my city had something about only allowing one cable co. Buy I believe that was changed after twc sold to sudden link. But at the cost to build new in a city vs the amount they will get back does not make it worth it. But I think there should be some sort of price regulation for these types of cases as it can allow the companies to inflate prices.

• Like 1

What shold happen si the cities should start funding their own builds and selling those to the competition.  That would require voter approval and financing, but that will get done with less red tape, maybe.

Maybe I'm wrong - please enlighten me if I am.  But - does Comcast and TWC even compete in the same locations?  Verizon Fios and Xfinity here don't enter eachother's "regions" so they can rack up those profits without competition.  I see this merger a lot different than carriers, because they're actually competing, while cable companies abuse their monopolistic stances.  I very much dislike Comcast/AT&T here but they're the only options I have and I'm sure TWC is no different in their regions where they have a monopoly. 

Maybe I'm wrong - please enlighten me if I am.  But - does Comcast and TWC even compete in the same locations?  Verizon Fios and Xfinity here don't enter eachother's "regions" so they can rack up those profits without competition.  I see this merger a lot different than carriers, because they're actually competing, while cable companies abuse their monopolistic stances.  I very much dislike Comcast/AT&T here but they're the only options I have and I'm sure TWC is no different in their regions where they have a monopoly. 

AJ said earlier that they don't really compete in the same areas, so it's not like a monopoly.

AJ said earlier that they don't really compete in the same areas, so it's not like a monopoly.

Thanks for actually reading the thread

;)

AJ

• Like 6

What shold happen si the cities should start funding their own builds and selling those to the competition.  That would require voter approval and financing, but that will get done with less red tape, maybe.

Not too far from me, Wilson, NC provides their own internet service to it's residents to compete with Time Warner.  They have better speeds and lower prices.  However, NC passed a law to severely limit this in the future.  And other states are doing the same, with the cable companies lobbying heavily to pass similar measures in more states.  Kansas is one of the latest with one of the most restrictive laws in the country, and with cable company lobbyists currently rewriting the bill since it was receiving pushback.  It's really sad how much influence these large corporations have in policymaking at all levels of government.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/02/isp-lobby-has-already-won-limits-on-public-broadband-in-20-states/

Edit:  And here I sit, with no wired internet available in 20-frickin-14.  Neither CenturyLink or TWC seem to care about covering unserved areas, yet don't want anyone else providing access to those areas either.

• Like 1

It is called an oligopoly.

Actually, if they competed against each other wouldn't it then be an oligopoly?  Since they each are the only provider of cable in their respective areas, aren't they really monopolies in the areas they serve?

• Like 1

Actually, if they competed against each other wouldn't it then be an oligopoly?  Since they each are the only provider of cable in their respective areas, aren't they really monopolies in the areas they serve?

An oligopoly is what cable is.  It is a large consortium of operators who are the only source in their respective areas.  Before Fios and ATT, there was only charter, comcast, time warner and a few other companies.  they all have a monopoly on services in their regions. 

• Like 1

Comcast is not in the Columbus, OH market, but I wish I could keep it that way. I've already heard the horror stories from family and the web. I only need Internet as I have DirecTV, but TWC can't even manage that correctly.

I used to have WideOpenWest until I recently moved. I love WOW. Columbus used to have WOW and Insight Communications as regional competitors until Insight was gobbled up by TWC. Yeah that pissed me off too.

I just want great internet at a reasonable price, which neither TWC or ComCast care about providing.

I've read stories about TWC suing competitors out of cities because the local government granted them monopoly power over all wired internet access in the city.

Suing them doesnt mean they cant still come in.  TW or any other provider doing that is simply stall tactics to run up bills for the other side to the point where it isnt worth it to over build the area.  In a perfect world, without the lawsuits and stall tactics where a company could lay their lines and offer service it still does not make sense.  To difficult to gauge how many customers will even sign up plus the provider already there will slash prices considerably to keep customers from switching.  This is why there are very few overbuilt areas across the country.

No one really signs exclusive franchise agreements anymore partly because they dont have to.  The current providers put up enough red tape and pay off the towns and cities enough so they believe they dont have to.

If I am wrong on that count, I will stand corrected.  But I believe I am correct.  Local governments may enter into exclusive cable franchise agreements.  Or they may choose not to grant additional cable franchise agreements because of aesthetic or logistic reasons relating to buildout, for example.  Regardless, MSOs are not chomping at the bit to overbuild and compete -- too risky for their ROI.

AJ

We have a fiber consortium that has been trying for a few years to get off the ground here

http://www.utopianet.org/

The problem is....there stupid management and LACK of advertising.....So there is a switch box, about 3/4-1 mile away, i get that it takes some money to get it up streets...

So i call them..."oh we dont have enough interest to bring it over to you"  WELL THEN WHY DONT YOU DELIVER SOME DOOR FLYERS YOU STUPID MONKEYS!!!!!!   of course there is no interest...most people dont know any better...I know about 6 directly with in a 2 block area that would sign up yesterday if they got it up here....

the one thing about Comcast.....my internet and phone ARE NEVER DOWN, & SPEEDS ARE GREAT...

now yes the money for it is retarded....110 for phone and internet???  i am canceling the phone soon, but i think its still around 60-70 for the 50 speed internet....

oh also forgot to mention how stupid comcast is....

so there are quiet a few NEW subdivisions going in....and they are starting in the upper 200s range to 500...so there is some money there.....

well they still havent gone in and got cable buried...there are orange tubes sticking out EVERYWHERE....and yet there are tones of dishes, and wireless internet dishes on all the houses...because they cant even order comcast.... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

ohhh same goes for the stupid fiber people....GET IT TO THE NEW AREAS PEOPLE!!!!!!

Many municipalities will not grant more than one cable franchise.

AJ

this is a reason why i have mediacom (well if i had cable they are the cable company) even though cox is less than a mile away 

How dumb. They should want at least ONE more wired internet provider beyond the local cable and telephone monopolies. Those two have built up telephone and cable wiring assets that they are now using to provide last mile internet access. Certainly the market has room for a pure play fiber/ethernet last mile solution too?

most town councils are pretty dumb they get locked into an exclusive contract with company A for a few pieces of silver they think they got a great deal company B comes in and says hey we can give you better but all the red tape and if these contract have actual time limits hands are tied... thats why DSL got a foot hold because it was from phone companies it gave consumers the ability to get two choices  without cities backing out of deals with cable companies 

most town councils are pretty dumb they get locked into an exclusive contract with company A for a few pieces of silver they think they got a great deal...

Dont confuse other cable companies not coming into an area to overbuild with your town or city somehow having an exclusive agreement not allowing it.

Other cable companies dont simply because it makes no sense to do it.

You do realize if you had the coin YOU could put up your own cable company right?

Time Warner puts all of their franchise agreements with towns and cities online at least for my division.  Im not sure what it will show for others who try to access it: http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/about-us/legal/regulatory-notices/programming-legal-notices/franchise-agreements.html

For other cable companies simply go to your town office.

I chose franchise agreements from two of maines largest cities.  One of which goes back to 1985.  Both state within the first page that they are non-exclusive agreements.

• Like 1

As an employee of one of the said companies (not saying which): I do not support this merger. 

They already control too much from the NBC Universal merger, #1 in customers by a long-shot, etc. This just screams MONOPOLY in my opinion and can't be good for consumers in any way. I think that if they want to get it approved, the DoJ and the FCC need to finally put their money where their mouth is and block it (or allow it with some pretty serious concessions: like spinning off NBC Universal because the "tubes" should not also provide the "content" as well).

• Like 1