Experimenting w/ Link Aggregation @ home.

danielholt

I would love to. Perhaps in turn I could get some info on the final 2 Wake Forest tower deployments...  *wink wink Rob*?****

http://www.connectify.me - connectify dispatch.

It's a software solution. which has it's limitations. Further versions will be load balancing on a packet level, and is on kickstarter right now.

In all fairness, it works beautifully, but I would love for more control, such as sharing aggregated gateways with the rest of my home network w/o jury rigging anything. a hardware solution will be my ultimate path, but today was a real learning exp.

looks like LACP teaming for internet connections, where multiple streams can be sent through different connections, but any single stream is limited by the fastest connection;

monolithic streams like Netflix can’t be split across connections

:wacko: 

looks like LACP teaming for internet connections, where multiple streams can be sent through different connections, but any single stream is limited by the fastest connection;

:wacko: 

They are working on a new software at a deeper level that can route traffic on things like netflix, skype, etc. its coming its coming.

about the only way to do that through dissimilar medium/transport is some type of multipath vpn

then there is the issue of wildly differing speed and latency through each link, striping single stream packets across inconsistent transport tends to lead to out of order and/or lost packets, lowering speed and reliability.

might be useful for some things, but not something like skype or gaming where latency is important.

• Like 1

about the only way to do that through dissimilar medium/transport is some type of multipath vpn

then there is the issue of wildly differing speed and latency through each link, striping single stream packets across inconsistent transport tends to lead to out of order and/or lost packets, lowering speed and reliability.

might be useful for some things, but not something like skype or gaming where latency is important.

But if you're talking about latency-sensitive apps, they're probably low-bandwidth enough to run on one connection. Gaming and voice chat are, anyway.

I need to call up TWC again sometime and see if I can get another 50/5 line here, and bond via Connectify to get 100/10. Or maybe 30/5, depending on their pricing (I hear it's $40 for a "cloned line" like that). I don't care much about the added download speed, but 10 Mbps uploads would be a nice improvement, provided the cable node I'm on can handle it (the channel my modem is sitting on has 15 Mbps of capacity).

But if you're talking about latency-sensitive apps, they're probably low-bandwidth enough to run on one connection. Gaming and voice chat are, anyway.

I need to call up TWC again sometime and see if I can get another 50/5 line here, and bond via Connectify to get 100/10. Or maybe 30/5, depending on their pricing (I hear it's $40 for a "cloned line" like that). I don't care much about the added download speed, but 10 Mbps uploads would be a nice improvement, provided the cable node I'm on can handle it (the channel my modem is sitting on has 15 Mbps of capacity).

I do not think it will be long before TWC offers 100/10+ plans.

My little 15/5 line with stupid fake out the speedtest powerboost is more than enough for my family with all the tons of devices we have. Now having to watch a 250gb per month limit is the dumbest thing to me.

It's like owning a four wheeler and living in NYC.

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 1

My little 15/5 line with stupid fake out the speedtest powerboost is more than enough for my family with all the tons of devices we have. Now having to watch a 250gb per month limit is the dumbest thing to me.

I want a cable connection with a 250GB data limit compared to the no Internet beside my cell phone I have at home. Can I complain to the FCC about my local cable company, or that probably won't work?

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I feel like my solution would be adequate for the majority of internet users.  max 80/50 more realistically on a loaded network 25/10

with a 60GB cap, $22.00 per month and the ability to take the internet with you, (inside the coverage area).  Wish i had the funds to build it in a test market  :blush:

I have done a lot of math to come up with my #s. 

At least where i live, if you don't have cox your internet crawls. (except for mine), there needs to be an adequate alternative to cable companies. And MOST people do not need a gigabit fiber connection to their home. 

I feel like my solution would be adequate for the majority of internet users.  max 80/50 more realistically on a loaded network 25/10

with a 60GB cap, $22.00 per month and the ability to take the internet with you, (inside the coverage area).  Wish i had the funds to build it in a test market  :blush:

I have done a lot of math to come up with my #s. 

At least where i live, if you don't have cox your internet crawls. (except for mine), there needs to be an adequate alternative to cable companies. And MOST people do not need a gigabit fiber connection to their home. 

Most people don't NEED a 200horsepower car either, but every once and a while you have to stomp the gas and get into traffic.

• Like 1

I want a cable connection with a 250GB data limit compared to the no Internet beside my cell phone I have at home. Can I complain to the FCC about my local cable company, or that probably won't work?

I think you live in the wrong country as this one does not have 100% broadband coverage. My cell phone doesn't work at the camp where I use the four wheeler I referenced but that is my choice to vacation there. Much like you choose to live where you do. I for one wouldn't sit on my hands and wait for someone to bring me broadband. I would go get it. Many possible ways short of moving.

I think you live in the wrong country as this one does not have 100% broadband coverage. My cell phone doesn't work at the camp where I use the four wheeler I referenced but that is my choice to vacation there. Much like you choose to live where you do. I for one wouldn't sit on my hands and wait for someone to bring me broadband. I would go get it. Many possible ways short of moving.

Not always possible to get it. Most of the US can not get it, not most people, just most of the land area. People who live in the cities assume everyone can get it. And when people can get, they have no choices, served by monopoly telephone companies like CenturyLink, that don't offer speeds over 1.5 Mbps. Lie about their services, where it can be down for days at a time, or where a 1.5 Mbps service only achieves 0.2 Mbps.

Looks the same as sharedband.com , where you use a router solution, so any device on your network can use it.

Incorrect, its a software solution based for your primary workstation. That's not to say it cannot be rigged to work with all the devices on your network, but that feature is not inherently built in.

Not always possible to get it. Most of the US can not get it, not most people, just most of the land area. People who live in the cities assume everyone can get it. And when people can get, they have no choices, served by monopoly telephone companies like CenturyLink, that don't offer speeds over 1.5 Mbps. Lie about their services, where it can be down for days at a time, or where a 1.5 Mbps service only achieves 0.2 Mbps.

There is satellite available across the country. Granted the speeds are not that great and it its usually capped, but it is available.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

There is satellite available across the country. Granted the speeds are not that great and it its usually capped, but it is available.

Wildblue can have their corporate headquarters burn to the ground before I will ever consider using them. Sorry. I have one option that should work, but I have to pay the equipment fee of 250 first. Hoping to have the money soon for it.

True, that is available most places. I didn't consider that broadband, high latency, low caps, not reliable in all weathers.