Operation Gigaspeed!

Destroyallcubes

So Suddenlink is on its road to offer widespread Gigabit per second Speeds to its coverage area. It offers tiers of 15,30,50, and 107 Mbps currently, and the new plans would start at 200Mbps(old 15 Mbps plan) and 1Gbps(old 107 Mbps plan). What excites me is suddenlink has laid so much fiber the past week. I have seen myself 2 separate crews. Running new fiber. And Tyler Tx is a Major data hub for Suddenlink. Anyone else have suddenlink for Home Internet? What do you think?

http://www.cedmagazine.com/news/2014/08/suddenlink-begins-gigabit-upgrade

problem is they never really say how they are going to do this.  They touched on DOCSIS but im not sure how they are going to deliver gigabit speeds over DOCSIS within the next three years.

Adding more fiber to nodes, along with more nodes. Docs is 3.0 is capable of over 1gbps.

Suddenlink does not offer service in my area...

Maybe it will soon, you know, all of a sudden.

AJ

• Like 7

If it were to happen I think TWC would poop their pants.

No, they would just rub their nipples.

k-bigpic.jpg

AJ

• Like 1

Adding more fiber to nodes, along with more nodes. Docs is 3.0 is capable of over 1gbps.

and do what?  give every home their own node?  DOCSIS 3, at 24 channels bonded  provides about a gigabit for downstream and about 250 mbits for upstream with 8 bonded channels...and thats for all of the users shared on that leg.  Obviously one would never see those speeds in real world use due to noise and many other variables.

DOCSIS 3.1 is the only way to really make this reasonably happen (if they stick with docsis) but i dont believe that will be deployed in the field until next year or the year after.

maybe they will run fiber to the home for the gigabit tiers.  who knows.

• Like 1

No, because that's what the customers want. They only rub their nipples when they can do something we don't like.

No, rubbing their nipples is all they do, all the time.  They do not know how to do anything else.

AJ

• Like 1

and do what?  give every home their own node?  DOCSIS 3, at 24 channels bonded  provides about a gigabit for downstream and about 250 mbits for upstream with 8 bonded channels...and thats for all of the users shared on that leg.  Obviously one would never see those speeds in real world use due to noise and many other variables.

DOCSIS 3.1 is the only way to really make this reasonably happen (if they stick with docsis) but i dont believe that will be deployed in the field until next year or the year after.

maybe they will run fiber to the home for the gigabit tiers.  who knows.

It could be fiber to the Home. But idk if $250,000,000 will be able to provide Fiber to the home for that many customers.
  • Like 1

It could be fiber to the Home. But idk if $250,000,000 will be able to provide Fiber to the home for that many customers.

well, not everyone is on their highest speed package either.  but at the beginning they will probably have a hefty install fee as well for those early adopters.  Similar to what comcast does for their 505 megabit tier.

• Like 1

well, not everyone is on their highest speed package either.  but at the beginning they will probably have a hefty install fee as well for those early adopters.  Similar to what comcast does for their 505 megabit tier.

Well most people will use the lowest tier since it is plenty. But if the price was right I'd sign up if it was fiber!

problem is they never really say how they are going to do this.  They touched on DOCSIS but im not sure how they are going to deliver gigabit speeds over DOCSIS within the next three years.

The cable company i work for uses 8 downstreams now.  By the end of the year it will be 16 so something is in the works.  Just make sure houses are clean NOISE (ingress) is a killer on speeds on CATV systems.  Most people believe the old foam master antenna wiring in there houses doesn't need to replaced.   :wall: .  Its not really is dual shield coax and most of it isn't 75 ohms.  

The cable company i work for uses 8 downstreams now.  By the end of the year it will be 16 so something is in the works.  Just make sure houses are clean NOISE (ingress) is a killer on speeds on CATV systems.  Most people believe the old foam master antenna wiring in there houses doesn't need to replaced.   :wall: .  Its not really is dual shield coax and most of it isn't 75 ohms.  

Not 75 ohm?  Impedance mismatches cause visible artifact in analog television, so I doubt that.

Ingress on cable is also very hard to track down sometimes, as are ground loops.

Centurylink has also been promoting 1Gbps speeds recently. It will be interesting to see who can be the first real company to do that. It will be interesting to see what happens.

CenturyLink is providing 1 Gbps speeds here with FTTH in new housing developments where fiber is nearby. But they are not planning to ever go back and upgrade existing neighborhoods.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

CenturyLink is providing 1 Gbps speeds here with FTTH in new housing developments where fiber is nearby. But they are not planning to ever go back and upgrade existing neighborhoods.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That's how AT&T is with U-Verse, the scumbags.

That's how AT&T is with U-Verse, the scumbags.

U-Verse was never fiber to the home.  Just a waste of time fiber to the VRAD in a neighborhood and then use copper for the rest of the way.  They really penny pinched and it caught up to them.  I think they are deploying Gigapower to select neighborhoods now though.

Here in Austin we have 3 companies "offering" gigabit speeds.

Grande Communications offers it downtown in a small area but elsewhere the speeds have not even gone up.

AT&T currently maxes at 300 down and the advertised price also includes a $20 rebate for letting them spy on you and requires a 2 year contract.

Google Fiber is still building out and I only know of a few downtown apartment buildings and a couple libraries.

TWC on the other hand is offering 300 down BUT they have doubled everyone's speeds for free and their free wifi across town is actually really nice and fast.

Grande Communications offers it downtown in a small area but elsewhere the speeds have not even gone up.

AT&T currently maxes at 300 down and the advertised price also includes a $20 rebate for letting them spy on you and requires a 2 year contract.

Google Fiber is still building out and I only know of a few downtown apartment buildings and a couple libraries.

TWC on the other hand is offering 300 down BUT they have doubled everyone's speeds for free and their free wifi across town is actually really nice and fast.

Doesn't Suddenlink have service there? Maybe it was round rock I was thinking of, but Suddenlink was in trial of 300mbps internet near Austin.

Doesn't Suddenlink have service there? Maybe it was round rock I was thinking of, but Suddenlink was in trial of 300mbps internet near Austin.

Yeah I think way north Austin/Cedar Park/Leander area has Suddenlink but I live pretty South so I have no clue what they offer up there.

Corrections incoming...

GFiber isn't available anywhere yet.

Grande is limited to 110/11 outside their FTTH area toward the center of town, but $65 gets you a gig if it's available.

AT&T is at a full gigabit now where they have GigaPower (a friend lives near 35 and Riverside and his apartment complex has GigaPower).

Suddenlink is available in Pflugerville, Georgetown and parts of Leander, and recently their standard tiers went from 15/30/50/107 to 30/50/107/300 from what I understand. Upload speeds are 2/3/5/15 IIRC. Thing is, I think that their 300M is cheaper than TWC's, though that isn't saying much (I pay ~$100 per month including modem rental for 300M).

SL could offer 200M to everyone by running 16 channel modems on a 24 channel system...though they'd probably have to settle for 10M up in that case. Gigabit? Probably selective FTTH, at a pretty penny per month ($150+). DOCSIS 3.1 won't be ready soon enough to deliver a gig that way.

• Like 1