Samsung Galaxy S5 Announced - Launch Date 4/11/14

illest_ios

I'm confident that if there are 2 versions of the S5 Sprint will have both, or the better of them. They aren't going to be able to afford having a inferior model to their rivals. If they don't have the premier version (if that exists) it will be a huge disappointment. Like carrying the iPhone 5C and not the 5S.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

high end going to metal.  

I for one wish that manufacturers don't produce anything more than a 1080p screen on a cell phone for a couple more years (just as I wish the camera sensors weren't over 8mp). I wish companies thought more about what would provide the best experience to customers and not let spec. dummies ruin it for everyone. I thought Nokia was pretty nervous by fooling those types of people with their "41mp" camera.

http://device.sprintpcs.com/Samsung/SM-G900P-SPRINT/latest

Looks like the Sprint version of the S5 will have a 1080P display and specs similar to last year's Galaxy S4..

Maybe there will be two models on Sprint. We shall see.

Some interesting info hiding in that link:

PictureMailSupport: No

VideoMailSupport: No 

MobileOriginatedSmsSupport: Yes 

DataNetworkTypes:

IS2000

EVDO

DOrA

WiFi

LTE

FMRadioReceiveCapable: Yes 

SupportedApplications:

Sprint Zone

Visual Voicemail

Lumen

Lookout

Scout

Sprint TV

Sprint Music Plus

Next Radio

1Weather

CBS Sports

Messaging Plus

Sprint Worldwide App

V8 Widget

VoWiFi

TotalDeviceMemory: 2GB RAM 

TotalDeviceFlash: 16GB ROM

ExternalMemorySlot: Yes 

ExternalMemoryMaxSize: 64GB

FrontCameraMegaPixels: 2M 

FrontCameraHighestImageResolution: 1936x1096

FrontCameraZoomCapable: No 

FrontCameraBuiltInFlash: No

FrontCamcorderResolution: 1936x1096

FrontCamcorderZoomCapable: No

BackCameraMegaPixels: 13M 

BackCameraHighestImageResolution: 1920x1080

BackCameraZoomCapable: Yes 

BackCameraBuiltInFlash: Yes

BackCamcorderResolution: 1920x1080

BackCamcorderZoomCapable: Yes 

Dang, looks like more people are interested in the M8 rather than the S5.  Are people just tired of Samsung?

I think for some people having KNOX forced on them kind of did it. It was something nobody really knew anything about and made things worse about voiding the warranty. Plus, the amount of bloat Samsung phones have is ridiculous. You have to pretty much root your phone just to get rid of it. The only reason why I'm sticking with them is because of the removable battery and SD card.

• Like 3

Dang, looks like more people are interested in the M8 rather than the S5. Are people just tired of Samsung?

After buying a Nexus 5, I can't imagine buying ANY phone that doesn't have all the bands I need for at least Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T. If the customers are going to be paying for the phone, I want the freedom to bounce around to different carriers or supplement them from time to time. Case in point... My wife and I are on Sprint. She is traveling overseas for 2 months so I put her phone in seasonal standby and now she is on T-mobile.

Btw... I thought the M8 was just getting publicity for all the poor design choices they made that make it worse than the current generation phone (too much useless area/bezels... They should just make the HTC logo their home key)

• Like 3

After buying a Nexus 5, I can't imagine buying ANY phone that doesn't have all the bands I need for at least Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T. If the customers are going to be paying for the phone, I want the freedom to bounce around to different carriers or supplement them from time to time. Case in point... My wife and I are on Sprint. She is traveling overseas for 2 months so I put her phone in seasonal standby and now she is on T-mobile.

Btw... I thought the M8 was just getting publicity for all the poor design choices they made that make it worse than the current generation phone (too much useless area/bezels... They should just make the HTC logo their home key)

I meant that there's little to no conversation regarding the Samsung S5. The HTC is getting a lot of negative publicity because of the design choices you mentioned. I'm liking my G2 but I flashed a stock ROM and uninstalled 34 apks that were bloat and there's still some left. If the N5 had the battery of the G2 it'd be my device of choice. The N5 didn't have a bad battery, but I like having the phone charge as long as possible, just in case.

I switched from my S3 as soon as Knox came out and LG is locking things down just as much in regards to making it difficult to flash ROMs/root. They actually blocked Loki exploit used in their Spark update for the G2.

Sent from my LG-LS980

1080p display, 2GB RAM, 13MP camera? Sounds like a S4T to me! Hopefully they don't pull an Apple and make the "non-Prime" version the same or worse than the previous year's model. 

I just want to upgrade to tri band mostly likely be s5 . Probably last upgrade for long time.

Between the fact that smartphones are very powerful as they are, and that device subsidies are rapidly disappearing, this kind of thinking makes a lot of sense. Since I don't have an urgent need for tri-band but do value SVLTE, I also don't expect my next upgrade to be for awhile.

• Like 1

http://www.redmondpie.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-images-specs-leaks-in-full-glory-ahead-of-mwc-unveiling/

Anyone seen this? I don't like it. Not hating on Samsung, but it doesn't look any different. Swipe finger print sensor? Seems inconvenient. What do you think? 

• Like 1

Not even remotely interested in what I am seeing from the s5.  At this point, other that it being a tri band device the s4 is definitely a better buy than this.

• Like 1

I was considering going for an S5 if it was a significant upgrade from the S4.  As it stands, I'll definitely be staying with my LG G2.

Yeah, my dad was about to pull the trigger on a note 3 on att but I told him to wait and see what the gs5 will have in store and honestly this has got to be extrememly disappointing to a lot of samsung fans.  Anyway looks like it will be the note 3 for my dad.

Yeah, my dad was about to pull the trigger on a note 3 on att but I told him to wait and see what the gs5 will have in store and honestly this has got to be extrememly disappointing to a lot of samsung fans. Anyway looks like it will be the note 3 for my dad.

why is this disappointing for samsung fans? Did they show cpu, gpu, or ram spec? I saw 1080p screen, 16 mp camera, and 2800mah battery. Then they showed a bunch of bloat features.

I am waiting for cpu specs before I get disappointed.

Snapdragon 800 and 2GB RAM. With other manufacturers already announcing phones with the Snapdragon 801 and Samsung even putting 3GB RAM in the Note 3, I'd say it fair to call the specs disappointing. Not to mention 16/32GB of internal storage, meaning most carriers will likely carry only the 16GB. At this point 32GB should be the base storage option for flagships, even with a microSD slot.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-specs

I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung announces the higher end "prime" model that's been rumored at some point. The hardware specs seem underwhelming to me.

why is this disappointing for samsung fans? Did they show cpu, gpu, or ram spec? I saw 1080p screen, 16 mp camera, and 2800mah battery. Then they showed a bunch of bloat features.

I am waiting for cpu specs before I get disappointed.

• Like 1

Do we have any idea yet if the GS5 is going to support a plethora of LTE bands out of the box, similar to the N5, which would enable worldwide LTE (via roaming or SIM swap) and also be a domestic carrier agnostic device (like the N5)?