Samsung Galaxy S5 Announced - Launch Date 4/11/14

illest_ios

Hmmm. I was under the impression that you still had to finance your phone, they just allowed you to re up every year. Can anybody else comment on this?

90% certain you still have to finance new phones. The $20 buy up just gives you the option to turn your phone in for a new one every year.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would recommend posting this in the Framily thread, too, where a number of people are up in arms over the non contract, non subsidy paradigm shift.  I think their issue is that they are looking at overall cost, not fully breaking down the accounting into separate service and device costs.  Their lower overall cost, if true, tends not to come from subsidized upgrades but from the many double super secret perks and discounts -- such as SERO, retention plans, and corporate discounts -- that Sprint has doled out and/or people have finagled from Sprint over the years.  Sprint needs to move to a simpler plan and billing structure; Framily is a step in that direction.  If people lose some of their double super secret perks and discounts, good.  It is about time, and I will not shed a tear -- even though my own corporate discount will be affected.

AJ

Anyone know what happened to the Framily Topic, someone seems to have locked it? It seemed like a good informative thread..

Anyone know what happened to the Framily Topic, someone seems to have locked it? It seemed like a good informative thread..

Read the past 10 pages or so. It turned into a bit of a negative pissing match between people who are too lazy to use the search function and those who that upsets. I bet someone finally decided that it was more trouble than its worth :P. Oh I also forgot the people complaining about billing issues and reps(not helpful complaining, more unnecessary rage bashing..).

This is just my impartial observation/assumption.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You always pay for the phone, with unlimited data option you can get a new phone after only paying 12 of the 24 payments.

this is where i think sprint financial thinks people are getting a good deal when they are not

for example... the price on GS4 is 600 dollars at that time... so your paying payments of 12 months so 300 dollars or so... plus add that taxes on the total bill

vs... 600 for the brand new phone... own it for a year... and they sell now for roughly 350 dollars resale with 1 tax payment

I know I am probably wasting my time asking because I know what the answer probably is.  But a man can hope.  Will the new s5 operate on circuit switched fallback(csfb) like the current iteration of triband phones.  In other words will there be no svlte capability.  I know this is a minor feature to many; but to some like me it is important.  I am an OTR trucker so my phone IS my internet and its no fun having my movie/game/pickYourInternetActivity interrupted whenever the phone rings.  

I'm guessing ill just have to put up with this until VOIP becomes a reality on sprint unless I want to stick with my Evo and one piddlin' band of LTE lol.  But, Like I said, a man can hope.  If any of you folks with industry connections can confirm or refute this I would greatly appreciate it since I could then go buy a nexus 5 without any reservations.

Thanks

Casey

Thinking of getting this instead of the HTC M8. The more I play with my friend's S4 active outdoors the more I want this S5. Not to mention the spec bump from the original S4.

But will have to see it in person first. If not continue to use my Nexus 5 until the Note 4/ LG G3 is dropped.

Anyone that doesn't believe sprint is moving towards the end of subsidies should go into a store and try and find a 2 year price tag.

That doesnt mean it wont be offered though. Like the plans for seniors, for the blind etc. You have to dig real deep to find that they exist.

Easy pay is a major price hike for my family. We just got a new iphone 5s for $150 at best buy because of a sale. Easy pay would have meant paying more for the phone AND more for the (framily) plan. If the subsidy is baked into my plan, why does framily cost more, and then theres a phone payment on top of it?

As for the S5, I had high hopes and I was very disappointed. I love my S4, but this is like an S4.1

Except with a bigger screen. Which for me is a downside. Samsung, many of us are buying your phone DESPITE the annoyingly large screen, not because of. Im terrified of what the S6 will look like.

Being water proof is a major plus though. Freaking finally. I was very disappointed that the S4 active was stuck with AT&T.

Im also amused that people call the health stuff a gimick. The pedometer has been a huge asset for me in my s4. I cant imagine a phone without one.

Im also interested to hear what the full MSRP is. I cant imagine theyd go for $650 again with so few changes.

Maybe the big surprise is still to come? A full price of $399 or something?

• Like 1

The Galaxy S5 passed through the FCC OET this weekend.  Our article is now up on The Wall.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-363-teaser-samsung-galaxy-s5-gets-a-boost-via-wi-fi-but-not-carrier-aggregation/

AJ

• Like 2

Although the S5 looks like a bandaid, it looks like it'll have better LTE connectivity based on the numbers in both articles although I didn't see LTE 800 numbers for the s5.

Great article though, Aj.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Hopefully Sprint also keeps the "microSD slot up to 128GB".  Would really like a data centric mode as well, plus GCI (if not already offered).

• Like 1

Hopefully the 32gb version will come to sprint

I know, anyone know why ATT and Verizon got 32GB S4's and Sprint didn't? Or is it Sprint is so much smaller than ATT/Verizon so wasn't worth Samsung's time to have 2 special versions for Sprint?

Edited by chgoguy80

Now available for pre-order:  http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_details.jsp?ensembleId=SPHG900BKS&flow=AAL&isDeeplinked=true/?INTNAV=GalaxyS5:Shop_Now:032114

It's only available in black and white though.  I hope more colors are available by the time in eligible for an upgrade (June 1).

• Like 1

Running out of time on lunch haven't seen the price on easy pay posted yet or missed it. Its $27.09 for 24 months.

Sent from Nexus 5

I just got a Nexus 5 but it sure look s good. I just wonder how much of a pain in the arse Knox 2 is going to be.

Sent from Nexus 5