Sprint Launching New LTE Cities - December 2013

And of course the comments are 100% negative.  At least on Cnet (regarding the 70 newly announced Sprint LTE cities).  I don't get it.  I have great 1900 mhz LTE coverage everywhere I live, work, play and travel.  Am I the only one?  Or are these people posting grammatically incoherent comments just perpetual negative Nancys?  

It is truly sad how many people really hate Sprint. I did not think it was that bad till i saw all those news sites with the negative comments. If Sprint wants customers they almost need to rebrand the company.

It is truly sad how many people really hate Sprint. I did not think it was that bad till i saw all those news sites with the negative comments. If Sprint wants customers they almost need to rebrand the company.

A name change won't make a difference in the hater's mind.

I live in Youngstown and feel the same way! WiMax blues all over again. But, there is some good news. I was on my way to work today (in Cleveland) and Signal Check picked up LTE on my Optimus G on I-80 about 7 miles south east of exit 187! that is the middle of absolutely nowhere! So hopefully, the LTE expansion is going much faster than they announce.

Ohio is the last state to see upgrades really start rolling in. At this point, it's probably a couple months away, but not much more than that. We've already seen several clusters come online in Ohio, and more should be coming online soon. Equipment is being installed left and right, they just have to wait until the entire cluster is installed before they can actually fire anything up. That tipping point should be arriving soon.

• Like 1

I live in Youngstown and feel the same way! WiMax blues all over again. But, there is some good news. I was on my way to work today (in Cleveland) and Signal Check picked up LTE on my Optimus G on I-80 about 7 miles south east of exit 187! that is the middle of absolutely nowhere! So hopefully, the LTE expansion is going much faster than they announce.

I saw that little dot on sensorly today. I was on the turnpike coming from Pittsburgh back to Youngstown today and pulled speeds of 22 down and 13 up.... Pretty good speed... Wish I could have stopped and down the tests at rest area as that's right where I pulled those speeds but I was in a hurry.

• Like 1

I think a name change is a waste of time and money. Just build the damn network and they will come.

I am not gonna lie, I have always thought that sprint will eventually change their name once their network upgrades are more mature.  A lot of consumers have negative perceptions of sprint compared to other networks and regardless of how great the network might get, it probably won't be enough to shake that perception.  But who knows, only time will tell.

I am not gonna lie, I have always thought that sprint will eventually change their name once their network upgrades are more mature. A lot of consumers have negative perceptions of sprint compared to other networks and regardless of how great the network might get, it probably won't be enough to shake that perception. But who knows, only time will tell.

Places like CNET and Android Central can only spread the hate for so long before Sprint catches up with them. I have experienced nothing but awesomeness for the past month that I've had my G2 and voice coverage has always been the best of any network. Tech sites can only hold off for so long before they have to write about Sprint having a strong and fast network. It is hard to pretend Sprint is slow when everyone around them is pulling 60+ mbps and the haters will either have to deal with being jealous or realize that Verizon isn't made of gold and rainbows.

I hope Sprint stays Sprint. I'm just afraid we will be stuck with "Spark" sometime down the road. To me, it just doesn't sound as appealing.

• Like 3

I am not gonna lie, I have always thought that sprint will eventually change their name once their network upgrades are more mature.  A lot of consumers have negative perceptions of sprint compared to other networks and regardless of how great the network might get, it probably won't be enough to shake that perception.  But who knows, only time will tell.

I think folk tend to over blow the importance of the fanboys on the tech sites. If you build a competitive network at a competitive price the customers will come. It may take a few years but that has to be balanced against the cost of re-branding.

• Like 7

I think folk tend to over blow the importance of the fanboys on the tech sites. If you build a competitive network at a competitive price the customers will come. It may take a few years but that has to be balanced against the cost of re-branding.

This.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I almost left Sprint when my upgrade was due... But after doing comparative pricing, and knowing what network vision/sprint has on its shelf for the future, I easily  managed to convince myself, brother, his girlfriend, my brothers boss, and another friend that its worth staying. Things get bad before the get worse, and I think we've seen the worse...so now its only up from here :).

• Like 2

I understand what you are saying but it could also be argued that sprint already had a competitive network pre 2010 and have always been competitively priced yet they haven't had customers breaking down their doors up until that point.  

Now whether they should change their name or not could easily be argued but my point is it will still take more than just competitive pricing and a great product/service for customers to come running, sprint has got to do more to build consumer confidence.  

There are lots of companies out there that make great products that are also priced competitively but due to the lack of consumer confidence they can barely afford to keep their doors open.  Tech sites don't control the industry so whatever they say doesn't really matter to me either but sprint does in fact have an image problem and it will take more than just service and price to change consumers perception of sprint.  Build it and they will come mentality doesn't always work out that way.

Here at s4gru, we have a lot of facts to back up the things we already know so its easy for us to see a more positive outlook for sprint but everyday consumers simply don't see that at all.

• Like 3

I understand what you are saying but it could also be argued that sprint already had a competitive network pre 2010 and have always been competitively priced yet they haven't had customers breaking down their doors up until that point.  

Now whether they should change their name or not could easily be argued but my point is it will still take more than just competitive pricing and a great product/service for customers to come running, sprint has got to do more to build consumer confidence.  

There are lots of companies out there that make great products that are also priced competitively but due to the lack of consumer confidence they can barely afford to keep their doors open.  Tech sites don't control the industry so whatever they say doesn't really matter to me either but sprint does in fact have an image problem and it will take more than just service and price to change consumers perception of sprint.  Build it and they will come mentality doesn't always work out that way.

Here at s4gru, we have a lot of facts to back up the things we already know so its easy for us to see a more positive outlook for sprint but everyday consumers simply don't see that at all.

Well, I dont think Sprints Network would have won any awards pre 2010 either. Solid but not spectacular is probably an appropriate description. I also dont think that the wireless arena is quite like any other. Given a chance wireless customers would be more transient than any other customer base(possibly). Either way we will find out over the next couple of years.

Pre-2010, unlimited data wasn't as important.  And both AT&T and Verizon offered it.  I think the wireless world has changed a lot since 2010.  People now want as much data as possible for the lowest cost possible, with coverage an important contributing factor.

Robert

• Like 2

The build out of the 800 Mhz band is what will gain Sprint the attention and respect they deserve. When I hooked up on that band in western P.A. I had five bars like my phone was in a death star tractor beam!

I am also disappointed in the lack of HD Voice review since Sprint has finally pushed a feature I've been dying to have!

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

People should choose the provider that works best for them at the present time. If Verizon or AT&T works best for them where they use their phones the most often, then go for it. For me, 3G and 4G have been getting better and better over the past year so I'm happy.  :tu:

• Like 3

If 200 million was covered sprint would have said something. Tmobile targeted big markets while sprint targeted smaller markets so while sprint has more lte markets there's not as many customers. There probably close though.

Does anybody know if 200 million people are covered by 4G now . 300 markets covered now but coverage for 200 million people realistic at this time ?

If 200 million was covered sprint would have said something. Tmobile targeted big markets while sprint targeted smaller markets so while sprint has more lte markets there's not as many customers. There probably close though.

Sprint didn't target smaller markets, they started on the big ones well before any smaller ones, the smaller ones are just quicker to complete. 

I stand corrected but you have to agree if sprint hit there goal of coverage they would have said something. I doubt they hit their goal to have 200 million covered by the end of 2013. They also missed there 800 lte deadline but thats no big deal to me unless its March and it still didnt launch.

Sprint didn't target smaller markets, they started on the big ones well before any smaller ones, the smaller ones are just quicker to complete.

I stand corrected but you have to agree if sprint hit there goal of coverage they would have said something. I doubt they hit their goal to have 200 million covered by the end of 2013. They also missed there 800 lte deadline but thats no big deal to me unless its March and it still didnt launch.

What 800 deadline? There was no 800 LTE deadline. They never made a promise of an 800 LTE launch before the end of the year. They wanted 3-5000 sites with 800 LTE ready, and they have that, it's just not switched on yet. That should happen pretty quickly in the next couple weeks, so long as the 800 LTE cores are ready to go tomorrow like they are supposed to be.

As far as pops coverage, I don't know. Not sure the best way to calculate that. And I'm not sure they would have said anything. You could add up the populations for all the markets listed here if you want: http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/4glte-launchedmarkets.htm

We shall see. Like I Sprint they still have much work to be done. I have yet to see them hit a deadline that they announce. Not to hate on Sprint because while my friend was on edge with is moto g last night in the boons i had fair 3G and LTE from time to time and the nearest tower to there house has yet to go live with lte but the work is done on it. I mean the middle of nowhere too and this is before lte or voice on 800 i cant wait to see coverage after they fire it up. Definitely getting impatient

What 800 deadline? There was no 800 LTE deadline. They never made a promise of an 800 LTE launch before the end of the year. They wanted 3-5000 sites with 800 LTE ready, and they have that, it's just not switched on yet. That should happen pretty quickly in the next couple weeks, so long as the 800 LTE cores are ready to go tomorrow like they are supposed to be.

As far as pops coverage, I don't know. Not sure the best way to calculate that. And I'm not sure they would have said anything. You could add up the populations for all the markets listed here if you want: http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/4glte-launchedmarkets.htm