Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

I believe Sprint is willing to overbuild but is still OK with a nTelos deal if they can get it for a more than a fair price. Probably for less than nTelos can afford. But the negotiation window has to be closing soon. Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

The longer this goes on, the more customers flee from Sprint and go to nTelos or some other carrier.  Soon, Sprint will have no customers in the area at all and a very substandard native network or maybe no native network at all.  Then nTelos can maybe jack up the roaming rates for Sprint.  This is surely one of Sprint's biggest black eyes right now. The longer it goes on, the worse Sprint looks and the more customers they lose.

Can we find out if nTelos is installing the 800 band antennas and RRU's at their upgraded sites??? This may tell us something.

Are they even installing new antennas at all or just sticking with the old legacy 1900 antennas? Are they placing RRU's on the ground or top mounting them?? We need some good photos of an upgraded nTelos site. Does nTelos seem to have  a new CORE switch that will do what Sprint needs??

I am signed up to get notification of NTelos does anything in this area and probably have just good enough camera equipment and just good enough idea where the towers are to get photos. Hopefully somebody in an NTelos launch market like Beckley or Morgantown can get us what is needed,  though. I have a sinking feeling that Danville isn't even a priority to them -- they likely have more subscribers in the WV part of the territory.

I know my dad is going to absolutely flip when I think to talk to him about this. He splits time between Richmond and a non-launch WV market and has been very upset that LTE isn't on yet in so much of the area he travels in.

Edited by Jimmy James

The longer this goes on, the more customers flee from Sprint and go to nTelos or some other carrier.  Soon, Sprint will have no customers in the area at all and a very substandard native network or maybe no native network at all.  Then nTelos can maybe jack up the roaming rates for Sprint.  This is surely one of Sprint's biggest black eyes right now. The longer it goes on, the worse Sprint looks and the more customers they lose.

Can we find out if nTelos is installing the 800 band antennas and RRU's at their upgraded sites??? This may tell us something.

Are they even installing new antennas at all or just sticking with the old legacy 1900 antennas? Are they placing RRU's on the ground or top mounting them?? We need some good photos of an upgraded nTelos site. Does nTelos seem to have  a new CORE switch that will do what Sprint needs??

aruvubut.jpg

posted earlier.

That is a single ALU RRH enclosure and AWS/PCS antennas. Two RRHs of the older variant are in there so most likely 1 AWS + 1 PCS RRH in each enclosure for each sector. 

I did find b26 LTE in Sprint's West Virginia Market.  Further band 26 details posted here (premier): http://s4gru.com/ind...-45#entry294062

This seemed accurate...

AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile are waging price war, but where's Sprint? | Greenbot

http://www.greenbot.com/article/2107743/t-mobile-trumpets-its-continued-lte-coverage-rollout.html#tk.rss_all

Sent from my "Up All Night, Sleep All Day" 4.4KK DM Touchpad

Sprint did lower its pricing via Framily. But you have to recruit customers to get the savings. Some people don't want to do that. Others are saving a huge amount of money. So it's up to the customer. Also, this is off topic for this thread.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry about that. I was mostly focusing on Sprint's lack of speed rolling out LTE coverage (or Ntelos over build) such as here in Sw VA.

- please move or delete as appropriate.

Couldn't edit my own post... Didn't realize that. Apparently I posted the wrong link... This is the one that I meant

http://www.techhive.com/article/2106840/atandt-verizon-and-t-mobile-are-waging-price-war-but-wheres-sprint.html

Sent from my "Up All Night Sleep All Day" Nexus 5!

Couldn't edit my own post... Didn't realize that. Apparently I posted the wrong link... This is the one that I meant

http://www.techhive.com/article/2106840/atandt-verizon-and-t-mobile-are-waging-price-war-but-wheres-sprint.html

The writer has created a contradiction. He says Sprint isn't a part of the price war and then explains how Sprint is warring in the price war with Framily. It's not desperate, it's genius. And it appears to be working.

If you don't want to deal with a Framily plan, then don't. Some people will not want to put forth the effort. But they have other options. If it isn't successful, then Sprint will do something else. If Sprint doesn't meet your needs, we understand. You should find the best provider for you. However, you are continuing an off topic conversation.

• Like 1

The writer has created a contradiction. He says Sprint isn't a part of the price war and then explains how Sprint is warring in the price war with Framily. It's not desperate, it's genius. And it appears to be working.

If you don't want to deal with a Framily plan, then don't. Some people will not want to put forth the effort. But they have other options. If it isn't successful, then Sprint will do something else. If Sprint doesn't meet your needs, we understand. You should find the best provider for you. However, you are continuing an off topic conversation.

Seems his argument comes down to "Sprint isn't price warring the way I want them to, so they're not fighting at all."  

It'll be interesting to hear the 2nd quarter earnings call after Framily has been fully in place for a quarter.  I wonder whether it's resulting in significant subscriber additions.  Also, how it's affected sprint ARPU, etc.

• Like 2

I also got a credit of $25 on my bill which is nice and all, but I pay them almost $35 a month for 2GB total data for each tablet and I passed by a nTelos Store and they had a sign up saying LTE is here so I called them and asked why I didn't have access to the LTE since nTelos has LTE here in Beckley. this is what I was told. That the LTE would be turned on in two days also they gave me a $25 bill credit for my trouble.

Anyone in Charleston, WV I was looking at sensorly I noticed a line of lte points following the road west of town. Ntelos LTE or a sprint overbuild? Maybe att or Verizon falsely showing as sprint?

That was discussed here a few months back. Most thought that it was nTelos opening up their system temporarily for testing purposes.
  • Like 1

Yesterday I had no 3G data for a minute on my phone while in Martinsville so I ran the Signal Check app and noticed that I was on eHRPD instead of the usual EV-DO that I always see in Ntelos areas on Sprint.  I remember reading somewhere that this could indicate LTE coming soon because eHRPD was needed to make the data seamlessly handoff?  What do ya'll think?

b88bj9.jpg

• Like 1

Yesterday I had no 3G data for a minute on my phone while in Martinsville so I ran the Signal Check app and noticed that I was on eHRPD instead of the usual EV-DO that I always see in Ntelos areas on Sprint.  I remember reading somewhere that this could indicate LTE coming soon because eHRPD was needed to make the data seamlessly handoff?  What do ya'll think?

Typically eHRPD goes through the LTE core instead of the switch.  I would think that you would need to be able to access the LTE network in order get eHRPD.  Maybe nTelos has opened up Sprint customers to use LTE now.  Or maybe you are experiencing a fluke.  :fingers:

Robert

• Like 2

Typically eHRPD goes through the LTE core instead of the switch.  I would think that you would need to be able to access the LTE network in order get eHRPD.  Maybe nTelos has opened up Sprint customers to use LTE now.  Or maybe you are experiencing a fluke.   :fingers:

Robert

I'm going to keep an eye on it.  I wish Ntelos would make some kind of announcement regarding their future LTE locations but anytime I ask nobody knows anything about it.  :fingers:

• Like 2

Yesterday I had no 3G data for a minute on my phone while in Martinsville so I ran the Signal Check app and noticed that I was on eHRPD instead of the usual EV-DO that I always see in Ntelos areas on Sprint. I remember reading somewhere that this could indicate LTE coming soon because eHRPD was needed to make the data seamlessly handoff? What do ya'll think?

My wife's LG Optimus G did the same thing off in on one day here in Roanoke VA last week where eHRPD showed under phone's status. Had to temporarily set it to 3g only vs "LTE (Recommended)" to get data to work (showed Roaming also).

I thought it was a fluke at the time. Didn't have Signal Check on her phone either, but I put it on my N5 afterwards and will keep an eye out as well.

• Like 1

My wife's LG Optimus G did the same thing off in on one day here in Roanoke VA last week where eHRPD showed under phone's status. Had to temporarily set it to 3g only vs "LTE (Recommended)" to get data to work (showed Roaming also).

I thought it was a fluke at the time. Didn't have Signal Check on her phone either, but I put it on my N5 afterwards and will keep an eye out as well.

This has happened since last August on my HTC One.  And yes, I just checked again, and it is still happening now.  I've had it on CDMA Only since it started.  My wife's Note 2 does not have this problem though when LTE is turned on or it at least knows how to fall back from failing eHRPD to CDMA better than my HTC.

Please see this thread:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4445-ntelos-ehrpd/&do=findComment&comment=185224

• Like 1

http://www.techzone360.com/topics/techzone/articles/2014/03/27/374510-sprint-moves-take-4g-lte-national-via-cca.htm

What does this stuff about the CCA and NAA tell us about our prospects in this area? Is NTELOS a member of those organizations, or are they made up of even smaller carriers?

Ntelos was on one of Son's slides in his keynote presentation, which is posted on the Sprint news page.

sent by tapatalk from my LS-980 (G2)

edit: Here is the video link:

• Like 6

I'm a little worried now that if this is what gives me LTE in this area, the phone I buy in September (iPhone 6) for Sprint won't even work on the proper band for it since apparently they won't be selling phones that work on the CCA band until January 2015. That would mean a wait until the iPhone 6S or in essence another year and a half. :(

I know that most of the messages that I get from Sprint are BS, general blanket messages regarding the progress of their network, but this one actually sounds legit? Anyone care to weigh in on this new message I got from them today?

post-33871-0-91671800-1396632211_thumb.png