Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

A friend of mine went and upgraded his phone yesterday at a Sprint store and he said that the employees were all talking about the LTE service in Charlottesville going live on 2/11/14. I'm contemplating making the switch to Verizon to same some money and consolidate some bills as I already have a LTE MiFi through them cause I needed high speed connectivity for work, and Sprint's 3G in the area just wasn't covering it....

• Like 1

My roommate recently received the standard network upgrade in the next month text. I, however, have not. Both on Sprint. This is in Roanoke, VA. Generally 240k down and 80k up using speed test. I normally don't venture in to the store often as they generally don't know anything useful, but all these posts have me hopeful for LTE soon in the area. 

My roommate recently received the standard network upgrade in the next month text. I, however, have not. Both on Sprint. This is in Roanoke, VA. Generally 240k down and 80k up using speed test. I normally don't venture in to the store often as they generally don't know anything useful, but all these posts have me hopeful for LTE soon in the area.

I received that text the other day and I'm in Morgantown WV. I can say with almost 100% certainty that Morgantowns NV upgrades are not going to be complete Amy time soon.

The Sprint text is a BS blanket text.

The Sprint text is a BS blanket text.

Yeah, that is kind of what I figured. I would think that Roanoke would be high on the priority list for Ntelos 4G upgrades though. It seems foggy at best on whether or not Sprint customers will immediately see the benefits of that upgrade, but it would be a start.

Yeah, that is kind of what I figured. I would think that Roanoke would be high on the priority list for Ntelos 4G upgrades though. It seems foggy at best on whether or not Sprint customers will immediately see the benefits of that upgrade, but it would be a start.

Same thing happened to you happened to me in Lynchburg.  Friend got the text but I didnt or my wife.  I can't find any information out there about potential upgrades either so I continue to have little hope.  I really hoped something would actually happen for us with the Shentel partnership since we're in their region but I dont see any activity on that either.  Our 3G speeds are horrific so I'd love to see something done soon.

shawneyboy123 and a few other forum members live in areas where nTelos LTE has been live for a couple of months now and as far as I can tell no Sprint customers have been able to access nTelos LTE.

The only instance I know of a Sprint customer accessing what I assume is the nTelos network is over in the Teays Valley west of Charleston. But as someone already stated it was likely just a case of them flipping a switch temporarily for testing purposes.

• Like 1

Same thing happened to you happened to me in Lynchburg.  Friend got the text but I didnt or my wife.  I can't find any information out there about potential upgrades either so I continue to have little hope.  I really hoped something would actually happen for us with the Shentel partnership since we're in their region but I dont see any activity on that either.  Our 3G speeds are horrific so I'd love to see something done soon.

Lynchburg is not in Shentel's Wireless footprint

shawneyboy123 and a few other forum members live in areas where nTelos LTE has been live for a couple of months now and as far as I can tell no Sprint customers have been able to access nTelos LTE.

The only instance I know of a Sprint customer accessing what I assume is the nTelos network is over in the Teays Valley west of Charleston. But as someone already stated it was likely just a case of them flipping a switch temporarily for testing purposes.

Here, along with all the usual caveats that accompany CS info, is a chat from nTelos this AM:

Laura: Hello! My name is Laura in the nTelos Care Center. How may I help you?

you: Good morning, Laura.

Laura: Good morning.

you: I'm interested in the rollout of 4Google service by nTelos in central Virginia

Laura: Did you mean 4G?

you: 4G

Laura: I do not have a list of when 4G will be available in what markets at this time. I am sorry!

you: Yes

you: Do You Know if Sprint users will have access through nTelos'partnership?

Laura: Are you asking if Sprint users can use nTelos towers?

you: Yes, especially when 4G becomes available

Laura: No, only nTelos customers can use 4G on our towers.

you: So, the partnership does not apply to 4G?

Laura: It does not.

you: Might there be a change in the future?

Laura: I have not heard anything but I doubt that.

you: Can nTelos customers use 4G on Sprints network?

Laura: No.

you: Ok. Sounds like the corporate decisions are leaving both customers in the cold. :(

Laura: Not at all. Only nTelos customers can use our 4G network. We only have a contract with Sprint on 3G.

you: Ok. Thanks for the information.

Laura: You're welcome. Did you have any other questions this morning?

you: No, thanks. Bye.

Laura: Thank you for chatting with us. We value your feedback. Please click the Close button at top right to answer a few questions about your experience with us today.

Thank you for chatting with us. Please click the "Close" button on the top right of the chat window to tell us how we did today.

I particularly liked her denial that customers are left out in the cold.

So, we Sprint folks in nTelos land may be left with hoping for a Sprint buyout or build out, not sure which.

DM

Sent from my CM 10.1 Touchpad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Lynchburg is not in Shentel's Wireless footprint

I took region to mean they did business there. In this case wired most likely cable. They have business at least down to wytheville, va. That is one of the reason I would like to see shentel over build along I-81.

Here, along with all the usual caveats that accompany CS info, is a chat from nTelos this AM:

Laura: Hello! My name is Laura in the nTelos Care Center. How may I help you?

you: Good morning, Laura.

Laura: Good morning.

you: I'm interested in the rollout of 4Google service by nTelos in central Virginia

Laura: Did you mean 4G?

you: 4G

Laura: I do not have a list of when 4G will be available in what markets at this time. I am sorry!

you: Yes

you: Do You Know if Sprint users will have access through nTelos'partnership?

Laura: Are you asking if Sprint users can use nTelos towers?

you: Yes, especially when 4G becomes available

Laura: No, only nTelos customers can use 4G on our towers.

you: So, the partnership does not apply to 4G?

Laura: It does not.

you: Might there be a change in the future?

Laura: I have not heard anything but I doubt that.

you: Can nTelos customers use 4G on Sprints network?

Laura: No.

you: Ok. Sounds like the corporate decisions are leaving both customers in the cold. :(

Laura: Not at all. Only nTelos customers can use our 4G network. We only have a contract with Sprint on 3G.

you: Ok. Thanks for the information.

Laura: You're welcome. Did you have any other questions this morning?

you: No, thanks. Bye.

Laura: Thank you for chatting with us. We value your feedback. Please click the Close button at top right to answer a few questions about your experience with us today.

Thank you for chatting with us. Please click the "Close" button on the top right of the chat window to tell us how we did today.

I particularly liked her denial that customers are left out in the cold.

So, we Sprint folks in nTelos land may be left with hoping for a Sprint buyout or build out, not sure which.

DM

thanks for posting the chat transcript. It verifies everything we've heard so far. It certainly is not looking good for us Sprint customers in nTelos territory.
  • Like 1

thanks for posting the chat transcript. It verifies everything we've heard so far. It certainly is not looking good for us Sprint customers in nTelos territory.

If the info in the "Chat" is correct, then it does not look good.  HOWEVER, if NTELOS does upgrade all their sites to 4G, even though Sprint customers may not be able to use it, the 3G at those NTELOS sites will probably start getting real good.  When they upgrade the backhaul for their 4G, the 3G should perform much better.  3G can actually be fairly good if the backhaul is not constrained.

Another thought, they may actually have an agreement with Sprint for 4G that the CS rep is not aware of or allowed to announce.

It actually may be better to withhold access to this 4G from Sprint Customers for awhile until they get all the technical issues worked out.   Turning up one 4G site in a sea of non-upgraded sites is not always wise. Looking at this situation from a distance and without all the facts, I do not think anybody can figure out how to straighten out the mess.  I would predict that the upgrade to 4G will be unsuccessful for NTELOS if they do not have an agreement with Sprint.  They need the traffic and finances involved in a Sprint agreement.   Going it alone is not going to work well for them,  Too much expense and too few customers.

• Like 2

I took region to mean they did business there. In this case wired most likely cable. They have business at least down to wytheville, va. That is one of the reason I would like to see shentel over build along I-81.

They do have Cable TV services in that area, but they cannot expand their wireless footprint any further south then what it is. Sprint will not allow it. I wish they could, but it will not happen unless the agreement between Sprint and Shentel changes. I have not heard of any such changes.

Edited by bbostwick8

They do have Cable TV services in that area, but they cannot expand their wireless footprint any further south then what it is. Sprint will not allow it. I wish they could, but it will not happen unless the agreement between Sprint and Shentel changes. I have not heard of any such changes.

One can only hope now that ntelos overbuild agreement ended last month 18 months prior to July 31, 2015. Not sure if sprint will be limited to 800 MHz and 2500/2600 mhz until July 31, 2015.

If sprint does overbuild I would hope it divides conquer it would be faster. I forgot you worked at shentel you would hear before it would happen though.

I live in Morgantown/Fairmont area in WV.  I have Sprint.  I have an iPhone 5s.  I received a text from Sprint saying the network is being upgraded.  Something about the "new network"  I called and asked Sprint she did say it was LTE being deployed in Morgatown this month!  I then asked an Ntelos rep and he said it was Ntelos doing it not Sprint and that Sprint would benefit from this from what he has heard.

Update:

To further prove my story this popped up on my sprint account..

post-34116-0-87772600-1391695598_thumb.png

One more....

post-34116-0-58658900-1391695744_thumb.png

Edited by johnathonnehls
  • Like 1

I live in Morgantown/Fairmont area in WV. I have Sprint. I have an iPhone 5s. I received a text from Sprint saying the network is being upgraded. Something about the "new network" I called and asked Sprint she did say it was LTE being deployed in Morgatown this month! I then asked an Ntelos rep and he said it was Ntelos doing it not Sprint and that Sprint would benefit from this from what he has heard.

Update:

To further prove my story this popped up on my sprint account..

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif Capture.PNG

One more....

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif Capture2.PNG

We've heard so much contradictory info about LTE in nTelos areas, we just can't get excited. But please keep us posted.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Anyone travel near Smith Mountain Lake?  What's coverage like there, particularly 3G?  My family and I will be vacation there in July and there is no internet at the rental house - hoping we can bring our hotspot.

I've never been there personally but, looking at nTelos' own maps it looks fine coverage wise. No idea if you'll get NV like speeds or not.

Just looked at the nTelos website to see if they had added any new phones that will supposedly work on their 4g LTE. They have three new phones added and they are the HTC Desire, the Moto X and the LG Optimus 7. It appears their 4g LTE net work will be on the PCS 1900 mhz according to the LTE description on those three phones.

• Like 1

Just looked at the nTelos website to see if they had added any new phones that will supposedly work on their 4g LTE. They have three new phones added and they are the HTC Desire, the Moto X and the LG Optimus 7. It appears their 4g LTE net work will be on the PCS 1900 mhz according to the LTE description on those three phones.

Now all we need are some radio waves to hook them (and my phone!) up to! :-)

Posted Image Wow, nTelos just constructed this site about a week ago it's only about 30 feet off the ground. Those panels and RRU's are gigantic! Now I understand why they call them beast panels! They were hooking up the fiber when I took this picture earlier. Too bad I can't enjoy the LTE once it's competed. ):

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk