Sprint has inked LTE Roaming deals

marioc21

So according to FierceWireless, Sprint has inked both incoming and outgoing roaming deals.  However, sprint has not confirmed any details of who the partners are.  But it sounds like it's with smaller regional players.  

http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/story/sprint-ushers-lte-roaming-era-3-inbound-2-outbound-agreements/2013-09-27?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Editor&utm_campaign=SocialMedia

Sprint (NYSE:S) currently has a total of three operational inbound LTE roaming agreements, and has inked contracts with two providers for outbound roaming, according to internal Sprint documents obtained by FierceWireless.

Sprint spokeswoman Kelly Schlageter confirmed the existence of LTE roaming agreements but declined to provide additional details, including which wireless providers the agreements are with.

• Like 5

So according to FierceWireless, Sprint has inked both incoming and outgoing roaming deals.  However, sprint has not confirmed any details of who the partners are.  But it sounds like it's with smaller regional players.  

http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/story/sprint-ushers-lte-roaming-era-3-inbound-2-outbound-agreements/2013-09-27?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Editor&utm_campaign=SocialMedia

If the article is on track C-Spire and Leap. I imagine the other might be (and I hope is) USCC. Although I would question Leap as they are being digested by the Death Star...

I've noticed a few C Spire LTE Sensorly tracks where C Spire does not have LTE coverage but Sprint does.  I also noticed my phone was trying to connect to C Spire LTE in McComb, MS last weekend but my device didn't have authorization.

EDIT: Interesting... I just checked C Spire's LTE coverage map and indeed they are using Sprint's LTE coverage in Louisiana on their map.  It matches up perfectly.

• Like 8

You can likely mark my words.  The two outbound roaming agreements will be with C Spire and USCC.

Since both of Sprint's LTE FDD bands are supersets, those capable UEs also support C Spire's and USCC's LTE deployments.  Sprint's original band 25 LTE 1900 equipment supports C Spire's band 2 LTE 1900 deployment.  And Sprint's upcoming band 26 LTE 800 equipment supports USCC's upcoming band 5 LTE 850 deployment.

Recall that -- due to handset procurement and 700 MHz interoperability issues -- USCC is shifting its focus away from band 12 LTE 700 to band 5 LTE 850.  This will allow USCC to offer at least one LTE capable iPhone model.  And in its Cellular 850 MHz markets, USCC should have enough spectrum to run LTE in a 5 MHz FDD configuration alongside five CDMA2000 carriers.

AJ

• Like 5

I've noticed a few C Spire LTE Sensorly tracks where C Spire does not have LTE coverage but Sprint does.  I also noticed my phone was trying to connect to C Spire LTE in McComb, MS last weekend but my device didn't have authorization.

EDIT: Interesting... I just checked C Spire's LTE coverage map and indeed they are using Sprint's LTE coverage in Louisiana on their map.  It matches up perfectly.

Does C Spires LTE coverage map show more than just regional coverage (or in other words, roaming on all of Sprint LTE network)?

You can likely mark my words.  The two outbound roaming agreements will be with C Spire and USCC.

Since both of Sprint's LTE FDD bands are supersets, those capable UEs also support C Spire's and USCC's LTE deployments.  Sprint's original band 25 LTE 1900 equipment supports C Spire's band 2 LTE 1900 deployment.  And Sprint's upcoming band 26 LTE 800 equipment supports USCC's upcoming band 5 LTE 850 deployment.

Recall that -- due to handset procurement and 700 MHz interoperability issues -- USCC is shifting its focus away from band 12 LTE 700 to band 5 LTE 850.  This will allow USCC to offer at least one LTE capable iPhone model.  And in its Cellular 850 MHz markets, USCC should have enough spectrum to run LTE in a 5 MHz FDD configuration alongside five CDMA2000 carriers.

AJ

It would be interesting to see if USCC and C Spire decide to change to the superset bands.

Unless we are going to get an Alltel-esque network sharing alliance out of this, LTE roaming with 100mb or 300mb to spare is nothing to get excited about.

Sent from my Note II. Its so big.

True. At least the possibility is there...

I'm sure Ntelos would be one also since they just agreed on new contract terms.   And Ntelos is suppose to role out their 4g this 4th quarter also.

Totally forgot about them in this discussion.

Unless we are going to get an Alltel-esque network sharing alliance out of this, LTE roaming with 100mb or 300mb to spare is nothing to get excited about.

Ah, I see. So, checking e-mail, browsing the Web, and downloading an app update or two on CDMA1X is as good as on EV-DO or LTE?

This idea that fast data is good only if you have a high quota is nonsense, and I really want to disabuse you people of the notion.

AJ

• Like 6

This idea that fast data is good only if you have a high quota is nonsense, and I really want to disabuse you people of the notion.

I don't think anyone can disagree that faster is better.

However the real usefulness of such speed is also directly related to how much of it you can use without worry or micromanagement.

• Like 3

I am not sure if this deal would count as roaming off network or as a partner and not against your 100 mb cap,  but if anyone is worried about going over, it is easy to disable data roaming in the settings screen and only turn it on in an emergency need to check email or something.

• Like 2

I like how you can change the color of the different coverages on their maps. Unless I am looking at it wrong, it does appear to cover many (but not all) of the Sprint launched markets

Cspire -Sure looks like they are roaming on Shentel's great 4g coverage in parts of Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania.

AJ

Band 12 LTE is likely to make a comeback given AT&T's deployment of MFBI and the clearing of Ch. 51 in the upcoming incentive auctions. Since both C Spire and USCC own 700 MHz A block licenses, it would be best if Sprint requested that band be added to its future devices. Band 4 inclusion would also be conducive for LTE roaming, as C Spire, nTelos, and of course several of the major carriers will be using it.

I really wish 3GPP would discontinue these older subset bands (2, 5, 17, etc.) for future devices. LTE band fragmentation is bad enough as it is without having redundant subset bands added to the mix.

• Like 1

It looks nearly nationwide. A few markets missing here and there. Like, Memphis and Nashville. It's almost like they're a few market launches behind or something. 

That was my impression. New York (well parts of the city) and some Michigan markets stuck out as missing to me when I looked at it.

It looks nearly nationwide. A few markets missing here and there. Like, Memphis and Nashville. It's almost like they're a few market launches behind or something.

Memphis is one of CSpire's few non-Mississippi native markets, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have disabled LTE roaming there.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

Ah, I see. So, checking e-mail, browsing the Web, and downloading an app update or two on CDMA1X is as good as on EV-DO or LTE?

AJ

I mentioned it was nothing to get excited about. However, a very light data user could certainly appreciate it. The real source of my statement is my hope another reciprocal roaming alliance can be found.

If LTE roaming is enabled and results in complaints from customers who are forced to leave Sprint due to high usage, I would in fact rather sprint not get LTE roaming with its current roaming nuances. Acceptable modifications would be 1) throttle or disconnect LTE after cap is met 2) Allow us to buy additional roaming buckets.

I currently use less than 200mb cspire ev-do roaming a month. It is usually slow due to their users burdening the network, but sufficient.

Sent from my Note II. Its so big.

that's cool.  nice to see smaller operators playing together.  would current phones work once they flip the roaming switch or does phone hardware need something else?  For example, could by photon Q connect to USCC LTE?

How is LTE roaming handled?  Not PRL obviously...just some sort of authentication?

For example, could by photon Q connect to USCC LTE?

No, since USCC is deploying neither band 2 nor band 25 LTE (at the moment anyway). In theory, a tri-band or dual band (iPhone 5S/5C) should be able to roam on USCC's band 5 LTE if there is a roaming agreement in place.