MetroPCS or Cricket roaming on Sprint LTE?

MacinJosh

According to some FCC Documents I found, it appears that MetroPCS and/or Cricket are preparing phones for potential roaming agreements to use Sprint LTE. The LG MS/LW 870 is compatible and was tested on LTE Band Class 25.

Here is the test report document: LG Model 870

lg-ms870-fcc-3-jpg.jpg

I doubt MetroPCS would partner with Sprint for LTE Roaming. T-Mobile wouldn't like that.

But if the MetroPCS/T-Mobile merger went thru, then NewCo could in effect have a roaming agreement with Sprint.

It is entirely possible that a Sprint version of this phone is in the works with the AWS Radio disabled, though.

But if the MetroPCS/T-Mobile merger went thru, then NewCo could in effect have a roaming agreement with Sprint.

It is entirely possible that a Sprint version of this phone is in the works with the AWS Radio disabled, though.

Do you recall what LTE Band that MetroPCS is currently using and the LTE Band that T-Mobile is planning to use?

I can understand that Cricket will partner with Sprint for LTE Roaming. They currently have a 3G Roaming Agreement with Sprint. Did they ever came up with a resolution on the dispute over 3G Usage? They also have a 4G LTE Agreement with Clearwire, and Clearwire is possibly going to end up going straight to Sprint whenever the merger gets approved.

Do you recall what LTE Band that MetroPCS is currently using and the LTE Band that T-Mobile is planning to use?

MetroPCS is using Band Class 4 for their AWS LTE and T-Mobile is just migrating from UMTS band class 4 to LTE band class 4, as they are the same band with the same frequency limits.

I can understand that Cricket will partner with Sprint for LTE Roaming. They currently have a 3G Roaming Agreement with Sprint. Did they ever came up with a resolution on the dispute over 3G Usage? They also have a 4G LTE Agreement with Clearwire, and Clearwire is possibly going to end up going straight to Sprint whenever the merger gets approved.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch about Sprint/Clearwire. We won't know for sure until after the comment period ends on January 26th. As for 3G roaming disputes, I don't have details on that, and didn't even know there was a problem regarding that.

I don't believe that there is anything in stone in regards to LTE roaming. If a carrier is offering a phone with PCS & LTE, why not just put BC 25 on it? No harm done, and maybe, just maybe, begin a trend of the creation of LTE devices that are cross-carrier compatible.

But I'm only one man :P

I don't believe that there is anything in stone in regards to LTE roaming. If a carrier is offering a phone with PCS & LTE, why not just put BC 25 on it? No harm done, and maybe, just maybe, begin a trend of the creation of LTE devices that are cross-carrier compatible.

But I'm only one man :P

I understand that. The LG 840 model came in 3 flavors, 1 for MetroPCS, 1 for Verizon, & 1 for Sprint. Cost of manufacturing is higher to produce 3 different devices than to produce 1 with support for 3 or more carriers with just disabling the LTE frequencies to keep from roaming.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch about Sprint/Clearwire. We won't know for sure until after the comment period ends on January 26th. As for 3G roaming disputes, I don't have details on that, and didn't even know there was a problem regarding that.

Here was that dispute with Leap Wireless (Cricket) and Sprint:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/leap-we-wont-make-75m-payment-sprint-2012-network-access/2012-08-06

I read, and I believe it was a statement by a MetroPCS exec. BEFORE the T-Mobile/MetroPCS merger, but they said they were going to begin, around the end of this year, start integrating band 25 LTE in devices, in anticipation for roaming with Sprint.

Cricket is disputing the amount of money owed to Sprint under their roaming agreement.

Cricket is disputing the amount of money owed to Sprint under their roaming agreement.

A contract is a contract Cricket. Stick to what the contract says, you morons! Why are some companies so stupid that they dispute what they agreed to?

A contract is a contract Cricket. Stick to what the contract says, you morons! Why are some companies so stupid that they dispute what they agreed to?

Dont quote me but IIRC they were disputing how the amount was calculated.

Oh brother. Stupid little petty stuff, lol.

Josh, Leap has already been through one bankruptcy, so it is watching every penny.

And, honestly, it may have trouble meeting its financial obligation to Sprint. I believe that you can personally relate to that, yes?

AJ

Josh, Leap has already been through one bankruptcy, so it is watching every penny.

And, honestly, it may have trouble meeting its financial obligation to Sprint. I believe that you can personally relate to that, yes?

AJ

All to well. :wacko:

I wonder if allowing other providers to roam on Sprints LTE network is a legal move. As Sprints proposed acquisitions come up for FCC approval Sprint can argue that they have opened up their spectrum to other providers, something that the big two have not readily done. I am sure that's an argument that would resonate with the FCC.

AJ

I wonder if Cricket goes under if Sprint can nab the PCS spectrum from them as payment so that Sprint can bolster their PCS holdings. I feel like Cricket at some point will be bought out eventually and Sprint would be the perfect player since Cricket is already deploying CDMA 1x Advanced on its towers.