Sprint One Up program......breaking news (response to Jump/Edge/Next)

Rocket87

Interesting program especially with the $15 monthly service discount.  I wonder when this program is going into effect?  I haven't done the math yet to see if this is any better than the other programs in terms of total cost.

Well, let's do a little math, shall we?

You sign up for 24 payments of $27/month. This also gives you a discount of $15/month off. So you pay $12/month extra for this.

I have no idea why they're doing it that way. Is that discount going to be promotional? Anyways.

After 12 months, you've paid in $144 (or $324, depending on how you're counting), plus the initial cost of the activation fee. That's $180, and you can upgrade again. Of course, you have to trade in your device, which could be upwards of $400-$500 you're losing out on.

After that, you upgrade, and reset your cycle of 24 payments of $12 (or something). Do you still owe the other 12 months worth of payments on your previous device? Or does that just... "go away" when you "upgrade"?

Seems marginally okay to me, but still not really worth it, due to losing out completely on the device trade in - especially if you go with something that holds its value, like iPhones.

• Like 7

I got $16 trade for my Samsung Moment and when I checked last, my Evo 3D is worth less than $30 according to Sprint. I don't see trading my phone in as much of a loss. I admit, I don't have an iPhone, perhaps I would feel differently then.

• Like 1

Interesting program especially with the $15 monthly service discount. I wonder when this program is going into effect? I haven't done the math yet to see if this is any better than the other programs in terms of total cost.

It is better than vzw and AT&T, which is the same minus the 15 discount. Tmobile is 10 a month but it includes insurance, however on iPhones you have to put a down payment 150 for the 5s I think.

i am tempted to do this, but only problem is i have a small crack in the phone. small one on the edge above the usb port. so i probably wont be able to trade my s3 in. i have a pic below showing where the crack is. I drew a line where the crack is.

279714_zpsa4cbfaa6.jpg

If the $15/mo discount on the service goes away after you use your upgrade, than T-Mobile is still a better deal for those who change their minds and decide to continue to use their current phones, since you're just paying for the service at that point, which is lower since there's no device subsidy. Plus you can sell your current phone to whomever you want whenever you want to get a new phone. T-Mo's Jump! is an extra $10/mo but that includes device insurance, whereas during the period when the discount from Sprint applies this is a de facto $12/mo more.

It is true that it's better than AT&T or VZW's early upgrade programs, though.

i am tempted to do this, but only problem is i have a small crack in the phone. small one on the edge above the usb port. so i probably wont be able to trade my s3 in. i have a pic below showing where the crack is. I drew a line where the crack is.

Posted Image

I wouldn't worry about that. They are worried about shattered screens and pieces of the phone missing or water damage.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

I'm wondering how the $15 discount works on multiple lines. Would the $27 fee be for each line? $15 off each line?

We have 10 lines on the unlimited my way. i wonder how much discount to get 3 iPhone 5s.

I'll be 12 months into mine in October, but the phones I'm waiting for will be around November and the only variable I see in the bill will be the msrp of the phone you select. For example a $800 phone broken down over 24 months is $33.34 a month rounding up because it is 33.333333333333 so on, but that would be the high side.

I don't see this being beneficial unless you are the type of person who will buy a phone at srp just to get keep the newest device.  All of these plans have to same feel as a $0 down car lease.   

My other question is how does this effect EFTs?  If you view the MRC as including the subsidy cost of the phones, then aren't we really just paying extra for the phone?

You know what, it think I just figured out why Sprint is giving the $15 credit until the phone is paid off.... that is close to the amount of the subsidized price.

I'm thinking currently that a phone with a srp of $649 would cost us $199 up front.  Leaving Sprint to cover the other $450 over the 2 year contract which would be $450/24 = $18.75 per month.  I guess the extra $3.75 per month is a rounding error from the additional sales tax we pay on the full srp of the phone instead of subsidy price.

• Like 1

If I can still get 25% off the data plan for the my way then this plan does kind of sound pretty good because ill end up paying 84.5 a month before taxes and I don't have insurance. Which is still great compare to the big two.

But I don't switch my phones very often but with sprint always doing some new network change every year and of course you need a new device to use the new network this plan might sound pretty good.