Sprint One Up program......breaking news (response to Jump/Edge/Next)

Rocket87

wouldn't it be 9 more months?

There are different levels that you can utilize with Upgrade Now. Obviously, you pay less 12 months in as opposed to 6 months in, but depending on the FMV for your phone, you can upgrade 6 months in without it being too painful.

I think it may stay. Doesn't it make more sense that the $15 just takes away the built in device subsidy so the customer doesn't double pay it with their monthly payments? That would explain why it goes away after it is paid off.

How does it explain it? Actually, it makes no sense. Sprint's plans prices already have the device subsidy baked in. Once you finish paying off the device, the discount goes away. Meaning you will continue to pay Sprint's regular plan price which includes a device subsidy for a device you have already paid off.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

How does it explain it? Actually, it makes no sense. Sprint's plans prices already have the device subsidy baked in. Once you finish paying off the device, the discount goes away. Meaning you will continue to pay Sprint's regular plan price which includes a device subsidy for a device you have already paid off.

I realize that, but I don't see the big carriers doing away with that built in subsidy since for all these years we have paid it and most have accepted that as a normal price for service. But, the big point on contention that has been brought up regarding Verizon and AT&T is that the plan includes that PLUS an additional monthly fee. That is paying two subsidies at the same time. Sprint is basically throwing customers a bone with the $15 credit by essentially canceling one of the two subsidies out.

• Like 1

by sense i meant the numbers add up... I would expect it to cost me more money, but I get a new phone each 12 months with out dealing with FleaBay :-)

• Like 1

Someone on another forum bought up a good point that we haven't seen yet because we haven't been studying the parent company. Softbank has initiated a $15 reduction in there plans or more like $14.958 dollars to be exact which Sprint is following suite with this upcoming plans.

Any way you slice it, I am going to opt for this plan. If you use a credit card, you pay interest on payments. There is no interest here. Less than a year into my Evo, LTE began to come out with Sprint. I still have a WiMAX phone, I wish I could use LTE right now. When I had tmobile, they added bands that my old phone didn't have. If you buy a phone now or recently, you can't take advantage of Triband. If you buy a Triband this fall and Sprint does something else to upgrade the network, would it be compatible? What if you buy an iPhone 5S thinking "I won't get TD-LTE here anytime soon" and find out 6 months from now you are bathed in band 41 goodness? At least in 6 months you can get an iPhone 6 without penalty or off contract cost. Those pissed off S4GRU nerds who want to boycott the Note 3 may end up getting one since they don't have 800 mhz or 2.6 ghz LTE now but next year when they are surrounded by it, they can step up to a Note 4. If Sprint makes a little extra off the program, so what? They are a business. At least I like Sprint as a business more than AT&T as a business. At least I would rather give them the profit over a company with an asshole for a CEO. Right? At least I can show off my fancy new flagship phone once a year instead of hiding in the corner silently cursing HTC for no longer pushing OS updates for their nearly two year old phone.

• Like 4

After thinking about it I might jump ship to this plan in the future. There's no device IMO worth getting right now. Yes the LG G2 will be Triband but they won't have TD LTE in my market for awhile and I don't see the need to invest in a Triband device now.

Plus I'm eligible for an upgrade in June so I can wait almost a year and most/all high end smartphones will be Triband starting next year.

I recommend this program for people who recently signed a contract and got maybe a 4s or any other smartphone that wants to get a Triband device quicker. Again you have to be on your current contract for 12 months to qualify for this offer

Shentel will not be doing Band 41 for awhile in your market. But what about all the Clearwire Protection Sites in Shentel markets? Sprint does have to ditch the Huawei equipment in those areas for National Security Concerns. They may end up with Band 41 on them. Not a lot of coverage, but they could be screaming fast where they are at.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

Check this out. Softbank offers 4G/LTE smartphone buyers a discount of 1480 yen. According to Google, it roughly translates to $14.958.

Posted Image

Google link to currency exchange for yen to US Dollars: https://www.google.com/search?q=1480+yen+dollar&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

It was the perfect opportunity to pull a "Softbank" here in the US. The transition has begun!

Someone on another forum bought up a good point that we haven't seen yet because we haven't been studying the parent company. Softbank has initiated a $15 reduction in there plans or more like $14.958 dollars to be exact which Sprint is following suite with this upcoming plans.

I posted that here in this forum with a screenshot bright and early this morning. I find it all too coincidental.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I posted that here in this forum with a screenshot bright and early this morning. I find it all too coincidental.

I knew I read it somewhere. My apologies.

I knew I read it somewhere. My apologies.

That's ok. I'm surprised nobody caught on yesterday to it. I actually looked at Softbank's page the other day and saw that. I was quite surprised. I'm glad to see that Sprint is preparing to attack the other carriers. It sucks that I have to wait until next March to join this program though. I'm only 6 months in on my contract. :/

Oh how convenient to launch the new One Up program on the same day when the iPhone 5S and 5C are up for sale.

Convenient? Nah...Sprint isn't sneaky and awesomely competitive like that...how convenient that they named it "One Up", though...

• Like 3

Convenient? Nah...Sprint isn't sneaky and awesomely competitive like that...how convenient that they named it "One Up", though...

One would think they would use their name into it like Sprint Up.

Oh how convenient to launch the new One Up program on the same day when the iPhone 5S and 5C are up for sale.

Not convenient at all. The carriers are making these programs because manufactures keep releasing phones so often. Sprint made the UpgradeNow program when the iPhone 4s first launched and people were stuck on none iPhone devices, it just wasn't advertised and initially only customer care could do it, not store reps. T-Mobile was the first to advertise earlier upgrading and the others created their own version to advertise. Also, how upset do you think people were when the iPhone 5 was announced and they were outside the return period? I remember they were pretty pissed.

Shentel will not be doing Band 41 for awhile in your market. But what about all the Clearwire Protection Sites in Shentel markets? Sprint does have to ditch the Huawei equipment in those areas for National Security Concerns. They may end up with Band 41 on them. Not a lot of coverage, but they could be screaming fast where they are at.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

Not sure yet Robert. The director of engineering for shentel said they plan to keep the existing wimax sites on for now. But once I learn more I'll message you

The activation fee is included on the comparison chart under the "walkout price" row, at least in the version AndroidCentral has.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

But I think sprint's competitive research is pretty bad though. The say that AT&T next includes an activation fee and it does not.

Its exactly like a car lease. They are double dipping. $12 times 12 is 144 dollars vs the 199 dollars you would usually pay. The difference is they get the device back with no compensation and then they sell it off again as either a refurb, a boost/virgin phone or some other MVNO.

Aha, but I don't see where it specifies that hey are taking your old phone back, without compensation. The Upgrade Now program required you giving your phone back to Sprint, but it also used the Buyback program to pay you for that device. Now, no one will argue that the buyback amount obviously wasn't a competitive amount, and you could likely get more elsewhere, but it was there. I haven't seen anything saying the One Up program does not utilize the Buyback program as the Upgrade Now program did, unless I've totally missed it.

Aha, but I don't see where it specifies that hey are taking your old phone back, without compensation. The Upgrade Now program required you giving your phone back to Sprint, but it also used the Buyback program to pay you for that device. Now, no one will argue that the buyback amount obviously wasn't a competitive amount, and you could likely get more elsewhere, but it was there. I haven't seen anything saying the One Up program does not utilize the Buyback program as the Upgrade Now program did, unless I've totally missed it.

now this is how I understand it... please correct any part(s) that are out of whack :-) 

OPTION 1

but its not "your" phone untill its paid for at month 24, if traded at month 12... about $325 has been given to Sprint - trade it in and you get the next shinney phone with no out of pocket money no dealing with selling/trading your phone.  

NOW if Sprint does give a $15 credit @ 12 months you gave Sprint $144.

OPTION 2

My s4 phone:

$199 at launch 

I might get $250 for it in 12 months  - so I made $50 (maybe I get $400 on ebay in that case $200 in my pocket)

so I sell my s4 and either break even or have $200 in my pocket, but no phone as the s5 sells for lets say $650 - which would cost me about $400 on a good day. 

NOW don't get me wrong my math above is not very accurate.  And Its not for everyone... 

BUT to me I'd rather take option 1... unless I actually don't get it and if that's the case please educate me :-)  as I don't know it all!  

• Like 1

now this is how I understand it... please correct any part(s) that are out of whack :-)

OPTION 1

but its not "your" phone untill its paid for at month 24, if traded at month 12... about $325 has been given to Sprint - trade it in and you get the next shinney phone with no out of pocket money no dealing with selling/trading your phone.

NOW if Sprint does give a $15 credit @ 12 months you gave Sprint $144.

OPTION 2

My s4 phone:

$199 at launch

I might get $250 for it in 12 months - so I made $50 (maybe I get $400 on ebay in that case $200 in my pocket)

so I sell my s4 and either break even or have $200 in my pocket, but no phone as the s5 sells for lets say $650 - which would cost me about $400 on a good day.

NOW don't get me wrong my math above is not very accurate. And Its not for everyone...

BUT to me I'd rather take option 1... unless I actually don't get it and if that's the case please educate me :-) as I don't know it all!

I would only add on more thing to your math. You are not going to sell you s4 and not have a phone, at least the vast majority of people will not. So if you sold it on eBay for 400 then you would pocket 200 minus a new phone. With the fact that you need more than likely need a new phone when you trade in the device you still owe 12*27=324 this gets wiped out so you "sell" the phone back for this price. The best way to look at this plan I think is that you pay 88 dollars more if you decide not to upgrade or spend 144 a year for a new phone.

With all these 'deals' the cell companies are offering, we'll need to take a special mathematics course just to understand the 'savings' we'll all get.

This is another bad one.

When in doubt, assume you're getting the royal screw.

I've found the rule is especially helpful when financing comes into play.

Anyone who has shopped for a car knows what Im talking about.

• Like 1

When in doubt, assume you're getting the royal screw.

I've found the rule is especially helpful when financing comes into play.

Anyone who has shopped for a car knows what Im talking about.

I think this deal is good and definitely the best in the industry. The worst case is you hold on to your for two years and you pay 88 more for it. 88 dollars over two years is not much of a down side. Now if you want to upgrade every year or there about there no cheaper way to do it. Say you buy an iPhone (199) in a year you could probably get 400 for it maybe 500 (it is an iPhone) and that only if you kept it in near perfect condition. So best case you are up 300 now your new phone is 650 so total cost to you is 350 for a new phone under the best case (all in a one year time frame and this doesn't take into account the cost of time selling your phone) Under the new program you spend 144 over a year and 288 over two years. Either way it is less than 350 and no time or effort to sell your phone. The last option is sprint's upgrade now option. At a year I think the fee is 150, so 199 for the first phone, second phone is 350 minus the trade in value which for iPhone is 270. 199+350-270=280.

• Like 1

I think this deal is good and definitely the best in the industry. The worst case is you hold on to your for two years and you pay 88 more for it. 88 dollars over two years is not much of a down side. Now if you want to upgrade every year or there about there no cheaper way to do it. Say you buy an iPhone (199) in a year you could probably get 400 for it maybe 500 (it is an iPhone) and that only if you kept it in near perfect condition. So best case you are up 300 now your new phone is 650 so total cost to you is 350 for a new phone under the best case (all in a one year time frame and this doesn't take into account the cost of time selling your phone) Under the new program you spend 144 over a year and 288 over two years. Either way it is less than 350 and no time or effort to sell your phone. The last option is sprint's upgrade now option. At a year I think the fee is 150, so 199 for the first phone, second phone is 350 minus the trade in value which for iPhone is 270. 199+350-270=280.

It may be the best in the industry, but that doesnt mean it's financially prudent.

You also arent taking into account how they force you into their new plans, which for many people is a price hike.

I have an iPhone 4S and am 22 months into my contract. Can I sell the iPhone, reactivate my Evo 4g and then upgrade under this plan? I've got an upgrade coming to me anyways.

If I bring my own phone, like a nexus 5, do I still get discounted pricing?

Can I pay off he phone all at once instead of installments?

How would an ETF work if you've already paid off phone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

It may be the best in the industry, but that doesnt mean it's financially prudent.

You also arent taking into account how they force you into their new plans, which for many people is a price hike.

The new plans are a problem for the math if you have more than three phones, like me. This is why I am not going to use this option. But if you have 3 or fewer phones or are already on the new plans this is a better option.