Sprint One Up program......breaking news (response to Jump/Edge/Next)

Rocket87

Anyone actually thinking about doing this, please consider the actual math.  Koi did some calculations, but forgot something: you still owe $27 * 12 when you end your service since you haven't paid off your last phone yet.  Alternatively you can NOT use your 12 month upgrade the last year, but then it's an unfair comparison since that cost is factored into the current way of upgrading every 12 months.

I find it easiest to break it down monthly, so I take any cost and divide it by how often you pay it to get the true long-term monthly payment.  To make it fair, for both options I'll assume you get a new, $650 phone every 12 months, you will sell off any phone you have when you end your service (makes the math neater), and that you can get $350 for your 1-year old phones.  I'll use $80/month for service, but that's irrelevant since it is a constant between both methods. 

Option 1 - One Up:

You pay an $80 service fee every 1 month -> $80/mo.  

You pay $27 in phone payment every 1 month -> $27/mo

You get a $15 bill credit every 1 month -> -$15/mo

You pay a $36 activation fee every 12 months -> $3/mo

At the end of your Sprint service, you still owe $324, but you sell your phone for $350.

This gives $95/mo plus you net $26 at the end of your service.  Staying for 2 years this comes out to about $94/mo.  Staying for 10 comes out to about $95/mo. 

Option 2 - Traditional:

You pay an $80 service fee every 1 month -> $80/mo

You pay $200 to upgrade with subsidy every 24 months -> $8.33/mo

You pay a $36 activation fee every 24 months -> $1.50/mo

You pay $650 to buy a phone without subsidy every 24 months -> $27/mo

You make $350 selling your old phone every 12 months -> -$29.17/mo

At the end of your Sprint service you owe nothing.  Selling phone was already factored in above.

This gives $87.66/mo

Basically, you're paying about $7 a month on One Up to only have to deal with selling your old phone one time instead of every year.  It also stabilizes the payments.  A bonus with the traditional way is you can actually upgrade every 10 months and the price only goes up to $89.30/mo.  So One Up may be convenient for some people, but don't kid yourself into thinking they'd introduce a program that would save you money.  You'll spend more. 

• Like 1

To me its too much of a hassle trying to sell my device and if the difference is only $7.34 a month then I see that as a good thing (for me) and plan on taking advantage of the One up Plan. 

Btw, going back a few posts to this...

I contacted Sprint through chat and they said that the $15 discount applies to each line that subscribes to One Up.  :)

That is awesome. Epic awesomeness.

The FAQs does say that you can only have up to 3 devices on the One Up plan.

• How many Installment Agreements can an account have?
    A customer can have 1 or up to 3 Installment Agreements on an account, depending on their qualifying credit.

Plus you can use corporate discounts with it as well.

• Biz IL (NVP) discounting is combinable with this $15 Sprint One Up Service Discount on the Unlimited, My Way plan.
  • The My All-in plan will be eligible for the $15 discount, but continues not to be Biz IL eligible.

TS

• Like 2

I have credit union discount, so with the new plans and two lines I save $3*2 (10% off the data) and $15*2 (Up discount)=$114/month+payments on phones. If I get a flagship phone, it will be ~$27. My wife doesn't like really fancy high spec phones, so hers might be more like ~$21. Total=~$162/month plus taxes. Not too shabby. Plus free activation :-D

Edit: We all know this is a capitalist economy. Of course Sprint it going to make money. I don't expect them to come out with plans to purposely make you spend less money. However, Sprint has been a friendly and reliable company and this program is convenient. I don't mind giving them a little additional business. It's a win-win program for both parties in a way. I get easy access to early upgrades with little extra cost and they get a little more each month and keep me coming back for more.

• Like 1

In some article, it said that once you upgrade after the 12th month, Sprint will waive the rest of the installment payments for that device. I finally found it after an hour of searching... lol. They linked their source to Sprint which validates it. http://support.sprint.com/support/article/SPRINT_GIVEBACK_PROGRAM_TERMS/0acfa831-7f79-47c6-a304-e43fb954ccdc

2.1 Value. Customers participating in the One UpSM program and who have an existing Installment Agreement can give back an eligible device (“Giveback Device”) any time after they have made 12 consecutive installment payments under their Installment Agreement.  In exchange, Sprint will waive the remaining balance of the customer’s Installment Agreement and allow the customer to select a new device for purchase under a new Installment Agreement. For the Sprint One UpSM customer exercising its annual upgrade option, the Giveback Device must be the device or authorized replacement device under the customer’s previous Installment Agreement.  Other eligible customers will be permitted to give back an eligible Giveback Device under certain circumstances to allow them to participate in the Sprint One UpSM program and purchase a device under a new Installment Agreement.

Anyone actually thinking about doing this, please consider the actual math. Koi did some calculations, but forgot something: you still owe $27 * 12 when you end your service since you haven't paid off your last phone yet. Alternatively you can NOT use your 12 month upgrade the last year, but then it's an unfair comparison since that cost is factored into the current way of upgrading every 12 months.

I find it easiest to break it down monthly, so I take any cost and divide it by how often you pay it to get the true long-term monthly payment. To make it fair, for both options I'll assume you get a new, $650 phone every 12 months, you will sell off any phone you have when you end your service (makes the math neater), and that you can get $350 for your 1-year old phones. I'll use $80/month for service, but that's irrelevant since it is a constant between both methods.

Option 1 - One Up:

You pay an $80 service fee every 1 month -> $80/mo.

You pay $27 in phone payment every 1 month -> $27/mo

You get a $15 bill credit every 1 month -> -$15/mo

You pay a $36 activation fee every 12 months -> $3/mo

At the end of your Sprint service, you still owe $324, but you sell your phone for $350.

This gives $95/mo plus you net $26 at the end of your service. Staying for 2 years this comes out to about $94/mo. Staying for 10 comes out to about $95/mo.

Option 2 - Traditional:

You pay an $80 service fee every 1 month -> $80/mo

You pay $200 to upgrade with subsidy every 24 months -> $8.33/mo

You pay a $36 activation fee every 24 months -> $1.50/mo

You pay $650 to buy a phone without subsidy every 24 months -> $27/mo

You make $350 selling your old phone every 12 months -> -$29.17/mo

At the end of your Sprint service you owe nothing. Selling phone was already factored in above.

This gives $87.66/mo

Basically, you're paying about $7 a month on One Up to only have to deal with selling your old phone one time instead of every year. It also stabilizes the payments. A bonus with the traditional way is you can actually upgrade every 10 months and the price only goes up to $89.30/mo. So One Up may be convenient for some people, but don't kid yourself into thinking they'd introduce a program that would save you money. You'll spend more.

You only sell your phone once in two years period or you need to factor end the purchase of a new phone at the end of to years, assuming your not giving up cell phones at the end of two years. So either the calculation is 350/24= -15.58 making 103.26 on option two or you need to add another 8.33 (200 for new phone) making it 95.99 depending on weather you end the upgrade/sell you phone cycle befor or after the two years. Either way option one is cheaper and you don't have to sell your phone.

You only sell your phone once in two years period or you need to factor end the purchase of a new phone at the end of to years, assuming your not giving up cell phones at the end of two years. So either the calculation is 350/24= -15.58 making 103.26 on option two or you need to add another 8.33 (200 for new phone) making it 95.99 depending on weather you end the upgrade/sell you phone cycle befor or after the two years. Either way option one is cheaper and you don't have to sell your phone.

No, my calculations are correct.  Traditionally you buy a phone every year, and you sell a phone every year, so you always have 1 phone.  350/12 is what you make (per month) selling your phone at the end of every year (when you buy a new phone).  $236/24 is what you spend (per month) buying your new phone + activating with the subsidy, which you only get every 2 years.  Since you only get that subsidized price half the time, every other year you're on your own so you have to spend full retail price (but they don't charge you activation), which comes out to $650/24 when broken down per month.  1 phone every 24 months plus 1 phone every 24 months = 1 phone every 12 months.  With the traditional way you don't ever have to give Sprint back your phone.  If you didn't sell one every year, you'd start accumulating extra phones. 

Looking at it another way, with One Up you lose your phone subsidy ($450 every 24 months), but you gain the $15/mo bill credit and you spend $36 more every other year since activation is charged twice as often.  You also lose the money you'd make selling your phone ($350 every year), but you save $27/month in payments when you turn in your old phone (Sprint waives the due balance so you're not paying off 2 phones at once).  $450/24 - $15 +$36/24 + $350/12 - $27.08 = $7.34 per month you are losing compared to the old way. 

There's the math in 2 different ways, coming out to the exact same amount of savings by doing it the old way.  Either way, One Up is about $7 more expensive per month.

Here's a quick third way:  Take Koi's math but add in the outstanding balance he forgot to add for One Up at the end of two years gives you $2280 + $27.08 x 12 = $2605 for One Up for two years.  That's $149 more than he had for the traditional way.   $149/24 = $6.20 more per month. 

This is the closest the prices will be.  Since you make money every time you resell and renew your traditional contract, that $6.20/mo ends up over $7/mo the longer the time frame you use.  Expand his example to 10 years instead of 2:

Traditional monthly payments + buy & activate every year you get a subsidy + full price phone every year you don't - selling your phone every time you get a new phone: 80*120 +236*5 + 650*5 - 350*9 = $10,880

One Up monthly payments + phone payments - bill credit + yearly activation plus outstanding balance at the end of 10 years: 80*120 +27.08*120 -15*120 + 36*10 + 27.08*12 = $11,734.56

Traditional method savings = $854.56.  Divided over the 10 years: 854.56 / 120 = $7.12/mo. In his example he had you keep your last phone but sell or give back every other phone, so that is what I did for this math.  If you want it like my other examples where you sold your last phone, that profit is the same both ways and cancels out. 

But you don't pay the remiaing 12 months nor can sell your phone at trade in time.

I agree one up has a premium cost. But it's small and I can enjoy modern technology with less headaches...

Maybe I'm not following.

I know you'll have to continue paying the monthly phone rent after trading in but that's on the new device only.

Anyone actually thinking about doing this, please consider the actual math.  Koi did some calculations, but forgot something: you still owe $27 * 12 when you end your service since you haven't paid off your last phone yet.  Alternatively you can NOT use your 12 month upgrade the last year, but then it's an unfair comparison since that cost is factored into the current way of upgrading every 12 months.

Oh come now, give me a little more credit :P I didn't forget, I intentionally left that out. My post assumed that you would be upgrading once a year on the year, and that you weren't leaving Sprint. Yes, if you wait longer than a year to upgrade, it becomes a hideously bad deal. Yes, if you're trying to cancel, you have to pay off the remaining balance. However - if you cancel service with 12 months left on a contract, you have to pay $240 in ETFs, so please don't forget that.

Of course, all of this discussion is a little silly in and of itself, as it assumes a stable market for used phones. Like I said at the end of my post on the matter, one advantage you can't put a price on is not having to deal with Craigslist/eBay. It's less time and energy that you personally have to spend.

If you're a smart consumer, you could use your last annual upgrade on a cheapo phone and cancel immediately. Example:

One year before you leave, you get an iPhone 8S (hypothetical here) for a 649.99 over 24 months, or $27/month. After one year, you want to cancel, so you suddenly owe $27*12 = $324. Ouch! But wait - there's that phone by ZTE over in the case. You decide to pick up one of those, and use your "annual upgrade" on your day of cancellation to get a $210 (+$36 activation fee) device. You just saved $78, plus however much you can sell it for. Or, since you're going elsewhere and we're assuming that phones aren't unlocked, you could just sell that 8S for $350 and be ahead $26.

• Like 1

No, my calculations are correct. Traditionally you buy a phone every year, and you sell a phone every year, so you always have 1 phone. 350/12 is what you make (per month) selling your phone at the end of every year (when you buy a new phone). $236/24 is what you spend (per month) buying your new phone + activating with the subsidy, which you only get every 2 years. Since you only get that subsidized price half the time, every other year you're on your own so you have to spend full retail price (but they don't charge you activation), which comes out to $650/24 when broken down per month. 1 phone every 24 months plus 1 phone every 24 months = 1 phone every 12 months. With the traditional way you don't ever have to give Sprint back your phone. If you didn't sell one every year, you'd start accumulating extra phones.

Looking at it another way, with One Up you lose your phone subsidy ($450 every 24 months), but you gain the $15/mo bill credit and you spend $36 more every other year since activation is charged twice as often. You also lose the money you'd make selling your phone ($350 every year), but you save $27/month in payments when you turn in your old phone (Sprint waives the due balance so you're not paying off 2 phones at once). $450/24 - $15 +$36/24 + $350/12 - $27.08 = $7.34 per month you are losing compared to the old way.

There's the math in 2 different ways, coming out to the exact same amount of savings by doing it the old way. Either way, One Up is about $7 more expensive per month.

It is more costly to leave sprint, but if you don't leave sprint you are wrong. You choose the one example that would make the traditional way more cheaper that one up. In any case 350 for a sold phone is not garrenteed and you assign no cost for the time and effort to sell your phone. This maybe a subjective cost but there is still a cost to it. One up is cheaper as long as you are staying with sprint and are going to keep using a cell phone. Both our maths are right are assumptions are different.

No one is talking about what happens when you lose or break the phone. If you're the type of person that doesn't normally opt for insurance you're taking on more risk with the One Up program.

Exactly. Until we have some first hand account or evidence of leniency towards an identical device with a non-tep blessed esn swap, I am not willing to jump on this.

Sent from my Note II. Its so big.

Business accounts are weird. I work at Best Buy and we can't do anything with those accounts, no upgrades or anything.

This message brought to you in part by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4

We can do Sprint business accounts at my Best Buy. In Beast look at the bottom of the upgrade drop down.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Oh come now, give me a little more credit :P I didn't forget, I intentionally left that out. My post assumed that you would be upgrading once a year on the year, and that you weren't leaving Sprint. Yes, if you wait longer than a year to upgrade, it becomes a hideously bad deal. Yes, if you're trying to cancel, you have to pay off the remaining balance. However - if you cancel service with 12 months left on a contract, you have to pay $240 in ETFs, so please don't forget that.

You can't compare outstanding balance to ETFs.  There are no ETFs when you leave after a contract.  There is remaining balance on One Up regardless of when you leave if you are someone who upgrades every year.  If you want to compare not upgrading the last year to not upgrading the last year (the only way to get no outstanding One Up balance), you can do that. Then with One Up, you don't pay that $325 at once, but you're paying the extra $12/mo to be on One Up -> $181 better off for not upgrading.  The traditional way, this means you don't pay the $650 for your last year's phone, but don't make the $350 from selling the year old phone when you would have bought that -> $300 better off for not upgrading.  So again, that makes One Up even worse than the previous comparison because you aren't taking advantage of the upgrade you are paying for. 

As for ETFs, you always have the option of staying on your contract to avoid them, which was what both of our calculations assumed (ending at the end of a 2-year cycle).  Not to say there's no risk or cost involved since you can't always plan ahead (e.g. job moving overseas) and avoid them, but there is also risk with One Up since you have even more outstanding balance if you don't leave at the end of a year.  So the One Up plan has the advantage of a 1 year commitment before minimizing exit fees (vs the traditional 2), but it still carries some risk for unplanned leaving. 

It is more costly to leave sprint, but if you don't leave sprint you are wrong. You choose the one example that would make the traditional way more cheaper that one up. In any case 350 for a sold phone is not garrenteed and you assign no cost for the time and effort to sell your phone. This maybe a subjective cost but there is still a cost to it. One up is cheaper as long as you are staying with sprint and are going to keep using a cell phone. Both our maths are right are assumptions are different.

Please re-read my post comparing it monthly.  I'm not wrong at all - I factored in everything significant other than unexpected leaving, which has costs for BOTH plans.  I posted all assumptions before the numbers.  I mention the unmeasurable cost of selling your phone.  There are countless other immeasurable things such as the opportunity cost of your money.  I mention staying for 2 years and staying for 10 years.  Staying for 50 years will result in the same scenario - One Up costs about $7/month more.  Let me try it this way:

ONE UP GENERALLY COSTS MORE PER MONTH THAN A NORMAL PLAN ASSUMING YOU CHANGE PLANS AT THE END OF A TWO YEAR CYCLE. 

If you're gonna say I'm wrong again, quote my text and highlight where I am wrong.  I'm not posting every single possible scenario because that's stupid.  I plan ahead and use up my contracts.  I understand that year-old iPhones sell for $350+.  And I know people comparing to One Up want to change phones every year, or they shouldn't be considering it.  If you think it's a great plan, that's great!  If the time and energy you spend posting a phone on ebay, throwing it in a box, and mailing it is worth well over $100 that's definitely something to consider (not being sarcastic; at times in my life it's definitely worth more than that).  If you have a volatile living situation and can't avoid ETFs then you might avoid traditional plans, and probably shouldn't be with Sprint in that case.  I was comparing from an economic perspective the dollar amounts for a frugal individual that still wants a yearly new phone.  

It seems like these upgrade concepts are a lot like leasing.

I'm really begining to like the concept of prepaid. I'll buy my own phone and when I'm done with it sell it.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Please re-read my post comparing it monthly. I'm not wrong at all - I factored in everything significant other than unexpected leaving, which has costs for BOTH plans. I posted all assumptions before the numbers. I mention the unmeasurable cost of selling your phone. There are countless other immeasurable things such as the opportunity cost of your money. I mention staying for 2 years and staying for 10 years. Staying for 50 years will result in the same scenario - One Up costs about $7/month more. Let me try it this way:

ONE UP GENERALLY COSTS MORE PER MONTH THAN A NORMAL PLAN ASSUMING YOU CHANGE PLANS AT THE END OF A TWO YEAR CYCLE.

If you're gonna say I'm wrong again, quote my text and highlight where I am wrong. I'm not posting every single possible scenario because that's stupid. I plan ahead and use up my contracts. I understand that year-old iPhones sell for $350+. And I know people comparing to One Up want to change phones every year, or they shouldn't be considering it. If you think it's a great plan, that's great! If the time and energy you spend posting a phone on ebay, throwing it in a box, and mailing it is worth well over $100 that's definitely something to consider (not being sarcastic; at times in my life it's definitely worth more than that). If you have a volatile living situation and can't avoid ETFs then you might avoid traditional plans, and probably shouldn't be with Sprint in that case. I was comparing from an economic perspective the dollar amounts for a frugal individual that still wants a yearly new phone.

I am replying from a phone so that is not an option for me. In any case your original post had both customers with out phones and one paying the remaining balance for no apparent reason. I did not say you where wrong I said you choose assumption that where made your comparison work out the way you wanted to. Comparing apples to apples

2yr phone 1 200

Phone 2 300 (650-350)

Phone 3 -150 (200-350)

Phone 4 300 (650-350)

From then on 3 and 4 alternate

One up

Phone 1 144

Phone 2 144

Phone 3 144

Phone 4 144

Ect...

This still is not counting the time cost of selling your phone. So stop where you want to make it come out the way you want. In any case no need to get so tilted over this. If you will sooth your ego.. You are right you are always right. Good?

There is no etf or contact except to make 24 payments. We completely skip the contract page in rms because it is blank. After the customer pays the tax they sign an agreement on an iPad agreeing to the one up terms and fianancing. There is so no tradational etf or contract. Just the agreement to pay off the phone.

Source :I've done 10 one up sales the last 2 days, half of which were ipads. Customers are really liking the not having to pay up front for an iPad.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

• Like 4

There is no etf or contact except to make 24 payments. We completely skip the contract page in rms because it is blank. After the customer pays the tax they sign an agreement on an iPad agreeing to the one up terms and fianancing. There is so no tradational etf or contract. Just the agreement to pay off the phone.

Source :I've done 10 one up sales the last 2 days, half of which were ipads. Customers are really liking the not having to pay up front for an iPad.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

I'll buy my iPad that way, for sure!

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2