Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

Just to echo what everyone else has been saying, the international chat is the way to go. They are shipping the sim now with no hassle. They asked if I wanted it 3-5 days or overnight for an extra $12.95. I went for the overnight since my nexus is already shipped.

Thanks S4GRU! You probably saved me a major headache.

• Like 1

So according to this, with the proper SIM card, we should be able to activate our Play Store N5's with no issue.

No, no, no, you have to buy the Sprint version Nexus 5.  Too much pressure.  Aaahhh!

s03e04_480.jpg

AJ

• Like 3

Just to echo what everyone else has been saying, the international chat is the way to go. They are shipping the sim now with no hassle. They asked if I wanted it 3-5 days or overnight for an extra $12.95. I went for the overnight since my nexus is already shipped.

Thanks S4GRU! You probably saved me a major headache.

Saves you a trip and dealing with workers at the sprint store

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Will be Sprint be offering the 32Gb as well if you plan on buying one from a Sprint store or is the 32GB version only from the Play Store?

Is not available now, I'd be surprised if Sprint or Best Buy ever have the 32gb version.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Woot~! I had placed my order for the 32gb white Nexus 5 & I finally got my tracking # at 3:20 this morning! :D. Got my 5gb T-Mobile SIM card ready to pop in. :D

• Like 2

Thats what I thought, but someone said LG G2 owners were having problems.....

G2 owners never had an issue activating (from all the following I have done in that thread too) but they had/have issues with LTE connectivity *which* may be because they were 2 + weeks ahead of the official launch date of the "Spark" network. I don't think there has been a definitive answer to why they had issues but the file that contains the connection and authentication info on their pre-launch devices was/is full of what looks like dummy and null entries.

They have SIM's but they had no activation issues as they all came with Sprint SIM's and we're able to activate like normal.

Sent from my d3rpONE using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

You guys might be forgetting the most important thing to do besides the sim;

fastboot oem unlock

don't forget, this will erase the phone, so do it first for least hassle.

• Like 4

You guys might be forgetting the most important thing to do besides the sim;

fastboot oem unlock

don't forget, this will erase the phone, so do it first for least hassle.

That unlocks the bootloader bit doesn't give you root correct? I saw an auto root chainfire had posted on Google plus. So do this then the root app?

If I buy it from the play store unlocked will I be able to activate it right away to Sprint?

Read the last 10 pages of the thread.

AJ

• Like 4

That unlocks the bootloader bit doesn't give you root correct? I saw an auto root chainfire had posted on Google plus. So do this then the root app?

Correct, it unlocks the bootloader only.

Once the bootloader is unlocked, you can leave it completely stock unrooted, push an appropriate recovery and/or root, or use an auto-root program/script.

It is better to unlock it first even if you don't plan to root, so you don't have the hassle of unlocking it later and have to completely reset it after you get it all set up.

• Like 2

Once the bootloader is unlocked, you can leave it completely stock unrooted, push an appropriate recovery and/or root, or use an auto-root program/script.

It is better to unlock it first even if you don't plan to root, so you don't have the hassle of unlocking it later and have to completely reset it after you get it all set up.

Thanks for clearing that up from me :)

If you are stock rooted and Google pushes out an update do you still get the auto update even though you are rooted? And if so, so you get to keep root?

Thanks =)

If you are stock rooted and Google pushes out an update do you still get the auto update even though you are rooted? And if so, so you get to keep root?

Thanks =)

That is more complicated question. Really all bets are off right now because know one knows how kitkat will affect root/super user.

Historically, if you are rooted, it depends on several factors whether or not OTA updates will work.

If you have a completely stock rom and did not flash a custom recovery but only pushed root, you can use SuperSU to allow you to 'disable' root, accept an OTA, and hopefully let itself re-root without having to re-flash.

Worst case if the update works, you just have to reflash root from adb.

If you have downloaded a pre-rooted rom, most often you will have to download an updated pre-rooted rom.

If you flashed a custom recovery, you can usually manually flash an update via recovery (being sure to disable root via supersu before hand).

Anyway, this kind of discussion is more suited to XDA, where a lot more information and more knowledgeable people than me is available.

• Like 3

I've never rooted before, so I'm not familiar with all this.

What's the benefit to unlocking the bootloader?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Straight from Sprint.com pre-order site:

"Who will love it: Tech-savvy users looking for the ultimate Google phone experience. Get the one up on your friends when your phone boasts Android™ 4.4 (KitKat) on a beautiful 5-inch HD display run with blazing speed and efficiency on a 2.3 GHz quad-core Snapdragon™ looking for a stripped down, bloat-free phone. "

Are they saying that the Sprint.com sold phone won't have anything preloaded from Sprint?  Will it truly be the identical phone that's coming from the Play store (minus a 2-year contract).

The nexus devices have an easily unlocked bootloader.

Unlocking the bootloader means you can root the stock rom, or flash any number of custom roms (see xda-dev forums for details on the various roms).

When the bootloader is unlocked, the device is completely wiped of user data. So you would have backup any pictures/music/data/whatever if you want to keep it. Once the bootloader is unlocked, you don't necessarily have to wipe your data any more (though that depends on what you are attempting to do)

That is why it is recommended to do it first before you start setting up all your apps and/or putting alot of pictures or other media on it.

Basically, when the bootloader is locked, the system partitions are READ ONLY. Unlocking the bootloader ALLOWS you but does NOT REQUIRE you to write to the system partitions if at some point you want to (ie root and/or custom roms).

Again, there is tons of informatio on XDA-DEV and google if you want to learn more about rooting and custom roms etc.

I was simply trying to remind everyone in the heat of all the excitement to remember to unlock your nexus first if you have any possibility of later rooting or trying a custom rom.

• Like 1

Are they saying that the Sprint.com sold phone won't have anything preloaded from Sprint?  Will it truly be the identical phone that's coming from the Play store (minus a 2-year contract).

yes, this has been mentioned multiple times in the thread.

One device for 3 different carriers. No bloatware. Updates from google. The end.

• Like 2

Oh man, oh man... my G2 pre-order at Best Buy is still pending, prob won't ship till Nob 8th. I really hope some decent reviews come out for the Nexus 5 this week so I can decide weather or not I want to cancel and go with the N5 instead.

The pressure!! :blink:

i mean... smaller battery and smaller storage as a trade off for pure Android. It's still tempting.

Edited by WhiteZero

So which one would of you will use the apn from a tri-band hotspot to create a functional tri-band apn for the Nexus 5 and G2.

I don't want to wait til "early 2014" to unleash this beast on Spark.

Just got my shipping confirmation also even though it said it would not ship until November 15.

Google learned their lessons from the Nexus 4 launch. They were probably waiting for the LG to manufacture enough units before release.