Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

Well I got my nexus 5 and promptly went to my local sprint store.

They said "Sorry, we do not have Nexus 5 SIM cards yet."

I said I just need a microSIM and they told me "no, you need the Nexus 5 SIM and we don't have them yet."

*sigh*

Came back with the SKU and finally got them to give me a SIM (they had TONS in stock but had to convince them the nexus 5 sim wasn't special).

Now, the MEID doesn't seem to be in the Sprint database yet - they told me that I can't activate it until November 8th.

Sprint sometimes really drops the ball.

• Like 3

Came back with the SKU and finally got them to give me a SIM (they had TONS in stock but had to convince them the nexus 5 sim wasn't special).

Now, the MEID doesn't seem to be in the Sprint database yet - they told me that I can't activate it until November 8th.

Meanwhile, over at T-mobile... :P

-Luis

Ouch... that sucks.

Can we get some unboxing pics?

Wow this is amazing...nothing against the early pioneers but hopefully this is resolved before my SIM shows up...very tough luck!

What is the SKU you used? Same run around from the sprint stores in my area and I'm really getting frustrated. One store wanted to charge me $39.99 FIRST to try a Galaxy S4 SIM just to "see if it would work".

Can the phone be activated without a store employee after you get a SIM?

I have a friend on at&t that went from gs2 to gs3. Which was mini to micro sim(out something like that) ask she had to do was trim it to fit. Found a template online to trim it to. Otherwise at&t was going to charge her for a new one.

In other words. If it fits I don't see why it wouldn't work. I don't think I would attack my sim with a scissor, but that's me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

What is the SKU you used? Same run around from the sprint stores in my area and I'm really getting frustrated. One store wanted to charge me $39.99 FIRST to try a Galaxy S4 SIM just to "see if it would work".

no, see:

Are you serious?  

Are you serious?  

Yes sir.  I am opening up a ticket right now.

I don't know why Sprint hasn't received the MEIDs yet.

If you try and activate online you get this error:

New device to activate

Not the right device? Select an inactive device from your account or enter new device.

Hmmm… this number doesn't match our records, please try again.

760492013536 CZ2102LWR

SIMGLW206R is the Part # on mine with the same barcode...

You can call first and ask them to check inventory first (and check other stores).

• Like 1

I ordered a 32 gb from the Play Store, and a 16 gb from Sprint on upgrade discount.

I was originally planning to just take the 16 gb and then refuse shipping on the one from Google and get a refund. However, now the 32 gb is showing as shipped and if it shows up before the order from Sprint I'm going to get ancy and have a hard time not opening up that sucker.

First world problems...

Edited by smorcy11
  • Like 1

Meanwhile, over at T-mobile... :P

-Luis

Oh me too.  I just tossed my t-mobile SIM in now that it is clear it won't work on Sprint (right now).

Nice fat 125MB update out of the gate - google was in a rush on this one.

On a side note, I am guessing that MEIDs will be loaded in less than 24 hours.

• Like 2

Yes sir.  I am opening up a ticket right now.

I don't know why Sprint hasn't received the MEIDs yet.

If you try and activate online you get this error:

New device to activate

Not the right device? Select an inactive device from your account or enter new device.

Hmmm… this number doesn't match our records, please try again.

If I try to swap my Nexus 5 with my GS3 online it will accept my IMEI (without the 0 at the end). It recognizes it as Model: LG D8201G WH XCVR SGL and asks for the SIM information.

Of course I don't have a SIM so...

• Like 2

If I try to swap my Nexus 5 with my GS3 online it will accept my IMEI (without the 0 at the end). It recognizes it as Model: LG D8201G WH XCVR SGL and asks for the SIM information.

Of course I don't have a SIM so...

Let me guess, 16GB model...?

You obviously have more wireless engineering knowledge in your pinky finger than I do in my entire body, but this is what wiki says:

LTE, an initialism of Long Term Evolution, marketed as 4G LTE, is a standard for wireless communication of high-speed data for mobile phones and data terminals. It is based on the GSM/EDGE and UMTS/HSPA network technologies, increasing the capacity and speed using a different radio interface together with core network improvements.

While there was a fair amount of GSM left in W-CDMA at the core network level, there is basically no GSM left in LTE.  Circuit switched voice is completely gone.  So, saying that LTE is based on GSM is akin to saying that UMB would have been based on CDMA2000.  Neither is really true.  Instead, 3GPP, which absorbed GSM into its standards body, adopted LTE, and 3GPP2, which is the CDMA2000 standards body, was going to adopt UMB until VZW defected to LTE.

AJ

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken, only GSM phones can be activated via SIM only. Sprint will have to authenticate the device through their systems first.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

-Luis

All indications are that this is true for Sprint right now, but it doesn't have to be that way. With Verizon LTE devices, you can just swap the SIM between them.

While there was a fair amount of GSM left in W-CDMA at the core network level, there is basically no GSM left in LTE.  Circuit switched voice is completely gone.  So, saying that LTE is based on GSM is akin to saying that UMB would have been based on CDMA2000.  Neither is really true.  Instead, 3GPP, which absorbed GSM into its standards body, adopted LTE, and 3GPP2, which is the CDMA2000 standards body, was going to adopt UMB until VZW defected to LTE.

AJ

Dont know what that means, but it sounds good.  I'll STFU now.

Please someone more knowledgable correct me, but I believe all of the phones that can access all three bands will be able to as those bands come online.  But I believe the conversation everyone has been having is about "Spark" which if I understand it correctly combines upload and download (not sure about both) across all three bands to increase your speeds.

If so the N5 will have to wait for the update.  

Is this true? Robert, can you comment?

My understanding is that the Nexus 5 CANNOT access Band 41 LTE on launch (or 800 mhz). I thought we had to wait for an update on that.

Is this true? Robert, can you comment?

My understanding is that the Nexus 5 CANNOT access Band 41 LTE on launch (or 800 mhz). I thought we had to wait for an update on that.

Update is what has been communicated officially but who knows...