Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

A few points I have to make.

1. First off, the 4FF Nano-SIM standard is the 4th form factor SIM approved by the GSMA and 3GPP. While it heavily involved what Apple wanted, once the decision was made, it became an industry standard. 
  2. The Moto X also uses the nano sim. The iPhone 5, 5S, and 5C are not the only phones using the nano standard. I'm sure more phones will use the nano sim eventually. 

I hope you realize this is minor nitpicking on my part but I feel like it needed to be said for the people reading the forum.

Point taken. Though I wouldn't be surprised if 4FF didn't show up on the Moto G...or any other Moto phone that comes out in the next year. Relegating the form factor to a bit of a standard-that-isn't-really.

I was getting a little bit nervous there for a moment, but I finally got my tracking information.

A few points I have to make.

1. First off, the 4FF Nano-SIM standard is the 4th form factor SIM approved by the GSMA and 3GPP. While it heavily involved what Apple wanted, once the decision was made, it became an industry standard. 
  2. The Moto X also uses the nano sim. The iPhone 5, 5S, and 5C are not the only phones using the nano standard. I'm sure more phones will use the nano sim eventually. 

I hope you realize this is minor nitpicking on my part but I feel like it needed to be said for the people reading the forum.

But why was the 4FF nano SIM even necessary?  Hey, we should take something already small enough and make it marginally smaller so that it is not as easily compatible with the vast majority of non Apple products.  The GSMA Kool-Aid drinkers who love their ability to swap phones should put that in their pipes and smoke it.

AJ

• Like 1

The thing that excites me about this device is the dual CDMA + GSM activation methods.

I'm guessing this won't work, but I'm going to try to activate it on the Sprint side, and then shove a T-Mobile sim card into it and see if I can trick the device to "fall back" to 1X/EVDO on Sprint when T-Mobile is in 'no service / no roaming' areas. Even if it's just data-only.

I'm also curious to see if it can be tricked onto MetroPCS CDMA+LTE. (The bands appear to match for PCS CDMA + AWS LTE, so if the dealer system accepts the device id for the 1x side, this might work. That would let a Nexus device get full compatibility with all of T-Mobile LTE + Metro LTE + Sprint 1x data roaming + Verizon voice/sms roaming.

I've always wanted a single device I could provision on every carrier, and just "pay for what's used" on each. The radio on this thing, being so open and supporting so many networks, is super exciting.

I got my tracking number 28 hours ago, but it still says ups could not locate shipping details.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Saturdays are slow days for UPS, I wouldn't get too worried. I bet your number will get updated when they origin scan it this afternoon/tonight.

The thing that excites me about this device is the dual CDMA + GSM activation methods.I'm guessing this won't work, but I'm going to try to activate it on the Sprint side, and then shove a T-Mobile sim card into it and see if I can trick the device to "fall back" to 1X/EVDO on Sprint when T-Mobile is in 'no service / no roaming' areas. Even if it's just data-only.I'm also curious to see if it can be tricked onto MetroPCS CDMA+LTE. (The bands appear to match for PCS CDMA + AWS LTE, so if the dealer system accepts the device id for the 1x side, this might work. That would let a Nexus device get full compatibility with all of T-Mobile LTE + Metro LTE + Sprint 1x data roaming + Verizon voice/sms roaming.I've always wanted a single device I could provision on every carrier, and just "pay for what's used" on each. The radio on this thing, being so open and supporting so many networks, is super exciting.

There are so many things that we are technically capable of achieving, but do to the nature of economics, will never truly realize.
  • Like 1

Saturdays are slow days for UPS, I wouldn't get too worried. I bet your number will get updated when they origin scan it this afternoon/tonight.

I think it mean the customer created the UPS label ,but the box didn't leave/picked up from the warehouse by UPS yet.

I called and or drove to 6 local stores. Nobody was willing to help me. They all claimed they don't have them....

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I seriously thought this was my post when I read it.  Yeah, the four stores I tried were all clueless, as as international chat.  So, I gave up and will try again Monday.  One guy even argued with me that 1.)  Sprint phones don't use SIMs, and that 2.)  Sprint doesn't and absolutely will not carry the Nexus 5.  Unfortunately, those are the type of people that when you pull up the pre order page for Sprint to show them, they just get all blustery and considerably less helpful than they were before.

I'm sure we'll all get them, and congrats to all of you that are ahead of the game and have them on the way already.  I guess this is one "good" thing about having my order still pending...it doesn't appear as though I'll be getting mine before Sprint orders go out on the 8th anyway.

ASC.jpg

INFORMATIONAL

Nexus 5 By Google 

Sprint and LG Electronics USA announced Nexus 5 from Google will be available from Sprint beginning Friday, 11-8-13, for $149.99 (16GB version) after a $50 mail-in rebate via reward card with a new line or eligible upgrade and two-year service agreement or $18.75 per month with Sprint One Up (excluding taxes).

The Nexus 5 will be available in all sales channels, including Sprint Stores, Web Sales and Telesales (1-800-SPRINT1). Customers can pre-order the device beginning Friday, 11-1-13, by visiting www.sprint.com/nexus5.

The sleek, powerful new LG tri-band capable device featuring Android 4.4 will allow users to take advantage of Sprint Spark technology for improved 4G LTE speed and capacity

The full press release is available on Sprint.com.

Note: Google Play Stores and UICC Cards

• Preferred Retailers with an ASC
    • Google Play stores will be selling 16GB & 32GB Google Nexus 5 in their stores.
    • These devices are un-kitted and require a Sprint 4G UICC card in order to activate Sprint service.
    • These ESN's will be recognized by Sprint.
    • Since stores may not have inventory of these UICC cards we are going to ship 5 4G UICC cards (SKU = 760492013536) at no charge to each Preferred Retailer with an ASC.
    • This will allow you to insert the card and activate the device for the customer.
    • All locations should expect these UICC cards to arrive by or before the 11-8-13 launch of the device.
  • Dealers with No ASC
  • Sprint suggests Dealers with no ASC to send these customers to Sprint Corporate Owned Stores or Preferred Retailer ASC locations.
  • Standard activation commissions apply.
  • Sprint will also have these available in Ingram soon for Dealers to purchase as needed.
  • Like 4

: I see you are inquiring about a SIM card, is that correct?
chat_agent.png Alejandra M.: To confirm, this is for a Nexus, correct?

I never even mentioned the Nexus.  Looks like Sprint is on it now :)

• Like 2

Thanks for the international chat tip.

Ordered my sim a few minutes ago with no hassle.

Now if only Google decide to change my order status from PENDING to shipped. I ordered a white 16gb 20mins after the sale went online on the 31, and still no ship confirmation.

: I see you are inquiring about a SIM card, is that correct?

chat_agent.png Alejandra M.: To confirm, this is for a Nexus, correct?

I never even mentioned the Nexus.  Looks like Sprint is on it now :)

I convinced Alejandra to send me a sim when they opened at 10.  I guess they are prepared now.

Thanks for the international chat tip.

Ordered my sim a few minutes ago with no hassle.

Now if only Google decide to change my order status from PENDING to shipped. I ordered a white 16gb 20mins after the sale went online on the 31, and still no ship confirmation.

My order time was 2:15pm est on thursday and I just got my tracking info this morning.

• Like 1

I also got my sims ordered through the international chat, took all of 2 minutes, I did have to pay for overnight shipping though($12.95)

• Like 1

I went to my local spirit store which is also a repair center, they were clueless. They did admit they had Sims for the iPhone, I said I'd take one or those, but they didn't want to hand it over.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I haven't read this entire thread but I would say this confirms that you can buy the 5 from Google play and use it. If this was already posted I apologize.

uploadfromtaptalk1383497687888.jpg

Try online chat following this link: http://sprintworldwide.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch

It worked for me!

Thanks for the link . it worked for me too(less than 2 min it took).I even made it easy for his when I typed the SKU = 760492013536 number :-)

Edited by AMD64

ASC.jpg

INFORMATIONAL

Nexus 5 By Google 

Sprint and LG Electronics USA announced Nexus 5 from Google will be available from Sprint beginning Friday, 11-8-13, for $149.99 (16GB version) after a $50 mail-in rebate via reward card with a new line or eligible upgrade and two-year service agreement or $18.75 per month with Sprint One Up (excluding taxes).

The Nexus 5 will be available in all sales channels, including Sprint Stores, Web Sales and Telesales (1-800-SPRINT1). Customers can pre-order the device beginning Friday, 11-1-13, by visiting www.sprint.com/nexus5.

The sleek, powerful new LG tri-band capable device featuring Android 4.4 will allow users to take advantage of Sprint Spark technology for improved 4G LTE speed and capacity

The full press release is available on Sprint.com.

Note: Google Play Stores and UICC Cards

• Preferred Retailers with an ASC
    • Google Play stores will be selling 16GB & 32GB Google Nexus 5 in their stores.
    • These devices are un-kitted and require a Sprint 4G UICC card in order to activate Sprint service.
    • These ESN's will be recognized by Sprint.
    • Since stores may not have inventory of these UICC cards we are going to ship 5 4G UICC cards (SKU = 760492013536) at no charge to each Preferred Retailer with an ASC.
    • This will allow you to insert the card and activate the device for the customer.
    • All locations should expect these UICC cards to arrive by or before the 11-8-13 launch of the device.
  • Dealers with No ASC
  • Sprint suggests Dealers with no ASC to send these customers to Sprint Corporate Owned Stores or Preferred Retailer ASC locations.
  • Standard activation commissions apply.
  • Sprint will also have these available in Ingram soon for Dealers to purchase as needed.

I haven't read this entire thread but I would say this confirms that you can buy the 5 from Google play and use it. If this was already posted I apologize.

posted just above your post.

So according to this, with the proper SIM card, we should be able to activate our Play Store N5's with no issue.

That's been the case all along. ;)

Sent from my d3rpONE using Tapatalk 4