Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

pics show its at the bottom shooting down like the iphone.

The headphone jack is going to be on the bottom.  Pow!

AJ

The headphone jack is going to be on the bottom. Pow!

AJ

You are just making a joke right? I thought we had pictures showing it on top.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4

Yea it is a shame we are getting all these leaks prior to the official launch. It sucks that we already know so much about a device that we aren't supposed to know about yet. Damn leakers! If you are going to leak information please do it in a matter similar to the companies and their launch events to cover everything! Please spoil the launch even the companies pay to host, wasting their money and media coverage. As customers this information is a necessity to our lives functioning properly, our older smartphones just doesn't make calls, use fast enough data, have a high enough resolution, control my tv, have the latest 4.4 version of android.

As for the phone, nothing surprising in the video. It looks pretty good, if a little stripped down. It doesn't look like HTC One build-quality (this is clearly going to be an all plastic affair), but the screen looks pretty awesome, buttons are where you want them, and the dual speakers on the bottom are a nice bump up from what Android phones have generally had in the past. Couldn't care less about the lack of an IR blaster and I have a real camera for anything more than a quick snapshot (which nearly every phone could take decently two years ago).

As for the OS, it looks like KLP/KitKat will have some very solid improvements, if nothing humongous. A few you could see either in the most recent video or the TuttoAndroid pictures from a couple days ago:

It also sounds like Google's continuing with its fight against fragmentation by implementing the changes in a way that will allow old phones to get them as well (either through Play Services or directly as apps from the Play store).

Either way, it'll be nice to get them first on a Nexus device. Really hoping there are no surprises which keep this from being on Sprint and releasing fairly soon...

• Like 2

Does anyone know if Sprint will sell this device unlocked? If so, and assuming the price will be the same regardless of channel then one's best bet would be to buy it from Sprint (rather than any other carrier). That way the phone could be activated on either Sprint, AT&T or T-Mobile.

Since this is the first nexus to include sprint, tmo and att bands on one device nobody knows how its going to work.

It would seem like this device will sell through google directly and be unlocked for all gsm compatible + sprint.

Sprint could offer the phone at some point directly but I don't see why they would bother.

• Like 1

I can't see a reason that Google wouldn't sell this straight through their play store if it is truly pentaband for tmo, att & sprint.

I can't see a reason that Google wouldn't sell this straight through their play store if it is truly pentaband for tmo, att & sprint.

That is not the question.  The question is more of whether Sprint, Tmo and ATT will be allowed to sell the Nexus 5 through their corporate stores unlocked.  There is no doubt that the Nexus 5 will be sold through the Google Play store unlocked.

That is not the question. The question is more of whether Sprint, Tmo and ATT will be allowed to sell the Nexus 5 through their corporate stores unlocked. There is no doubt that the Nexus 5 will be sold through the Google Play store unlocked.

I thought the question was if Sprint would allow it on their network if bought unlocked through the google play store.

I thought the question was if Sprint would allow it on their network if bought unlocked through the google play store.

That's what I thought too, because of the issues that Sprint doesn't use a fluid SIM system, instead tying your number to a phone's hardware until you call them to activate or deactivate it. Hopefully Google has worked out a way for Sprint to relax their policy about it and make the tech work with it. 

That's what I thought too, because of the issues that Sprint doesn't use a fluid SIM system, instead tying your number to a phone's hardware until you call them to activate or deactivate it. Hopefully Google has worked out a way for Sprint to relax their policy about it and make the tech work with it. 

I am sure Sprint and Google have to work something out where Google has to provide the list of hardware ID information or whatever else Sprint, Tmobile, ATT needs to authenticate it on their networks so that the carrier's database systems have all the possible hardware IDs so that activation would be no problem.  The Galaxy Nexus wasn't sold that long ago on Sprint so I am sure Google and Sprint will have worked out a system so that there will not be hiccups on launch day.

The last thing Sprint wants to do for PR purposes is to do something stupid like what Verizon did with the Nexus 7 LTE version where Verizon didn't have the hardware IDs of the Google Play store bought Nexus 7 Verizon LTE versions and couldn't activate it on the Verizon network which caused a huge ruckus in the media about how Verizon was being a douchebag for not supporting it.

• Like 1

That is not the question.  The question is more of whether Sprint, Tmo and ATT will be allowed to sell the Nexus 5 through their corporate stores unlocked.  There is no doubt that the Nexus 5 will be sold through the Google Play store unlocked.

I don't think it will be sold outside of the play store but we shall see.

I don't think it will be sold outside of the play store but we shall see.

I don't think so either but I still hope the Sprint stores will still get a demo device so that customers can play with it before deciding to buy it.

• Like 1

Doubt it. Why would we pay for a demo of a device we can't even sell?

Because you still need wireless service in order to use the phone.  What good is a phone if you can't use it?  I know it isn't ideal because Sprint can't make money off of selling the device at the store but it can still be used as a marketing tool for customers to attract customers to the wireless service and they will make money off of that.  We all know that ATT, Sprint and Verizon charge customers wireless service with a built in subsidy cost whether we bring our own device or not so it actually helps Sprint that they don't need to pay for a subsidy.

Sprint would need to pay for a demo to be advertised at its stores??  I would have expected that Google would be covering the costs to get the word out as much as possible to get customers to buy it.  I mean there are people that are willing to buy phones without ever demoing it at a store but a lot of people like myself would like to play with the device to make sure the phone is for me.