Google Press Event - Chromecast

dstar2002

I ordered mine.  Ships before August 7.  Anyone else watch the event?  Android 4.3 not overly exciting, Chromecast looks like it could be the "next big thing", especially since it works on Android, iOS, Mac and Windows.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=chromecast

http://www.youtube.com/google

• Like 2

I ordered mine.  Ships before August 7.  Anyone else watch the event?  Android 4.3 not overly exciting, Chromecast looks like it could be the "next big thing", especially since it works on Android, iOS, Mac and Windows.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=chromecast

http://www.youtube.com/google

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/24/google-chromekey/

So, I haven't followed the release at all... Does it do direct screen mirroring? If so, it's a cheap, less crappy way of doing allshare cast (I think that's what it's called). I want my emulators on the big screen!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

does it work with mkv, mp4, dlna, etc?

So, I haven't followed the release at all... Does it do direct screen mirroring? If so, it's a cheap, less crappy way of doing allshare cast (I think that's what it's called). I want my emulators on the big screen!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I don't think it does mirroring yet. Or its very limited. And it can't send local files per Se. You basically "cast" a link to the device. So YouTube and play music and Netflix works. Local files get sent via a network path link. But can't play all formats. Yet.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I don't think it does mirroring yet. Or its very limited. And it can't send local files per Se. You basically "cast" a link to the device. So YouTube and play music and Netflix works. Local files get sent via a network path link. But can't play all formats. Yet.

Ehhh I'm wary of anything that says "yet" without anything real in the works I can look at. It'll probably be exactly as it is forever. Nexus Q anyone?

• Like 1

Ordered mine interested to see compatibility. As I use VLC Streamer to stream movie collection from HTPC to tablet/phone. would be cool to be able to  send that to non-internet enabled TV via Chromecast as well.

Ehhh I'm wary of anything that says "yet" without anything real in the works I can look at. It'll probably be exactly as it is forever. Nexus Q anyone?

If you use Netflix, it pays for itself, and you risk nothing. Which is why I was an instant adopter. If it's junk, i loose all of 10 bucks.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

So, I haven't followed the release at all... Does it do direct screen mirroring? If so, it's a cheap, less crappy way of doing allshare cast (I think that's what it's called). I want my emulators on the big screen!Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It is an awesome device. It is not direct mirroring. For example, I was using it with my nexus 7. I started a video on Netflix through the chromecast and then started watching YouTube videos on my nexus 7 all at the time. Essentially the phone/tablet is telling the chromecast what to play and it streams directly from your home WiFi. I even tested it by starting a video on the chromecast and then turned off my tablet while it was playing. My phone was able to gain control without interfering with the video.

It is an awesome device. It is not direct mirroring. For example, I was using it with my nexus 7. I started a video on Netflix through the chromecast and then started watching YouTube videos on my nexus 7 all at the time. Essentially the phone/tablet is telling the chromecast what to play and it streams directly from your home WiFi. I even tested it by starting a video on the chromecast and then turned off my tablet while it was playing. My phone was able to gain control without interfering with the video.

How's the chrome tab mirroring? Any stuttering when playing local files? If you know what "TV portal" for android is can you see if works with that?

Sent from my Android HP Touchpad using Tapatalk 4

How's the chrome tab mirroring? Any stuttering when playing local files? If you know what "TV portal" for android is can you see if works with that?

I haven't used the mirroring too much yet, it does seem a little shuttery. Hopely there will be an update to improve that. The mirroring is only used with a computer, no mirroring with a phone or tablet.

I picked one up from Best Buy the other day as well, it was hard to find but I grabbed one.  Haven't gotten my Netflix code they promised, but I know Google ran out of them so I might be out of luck on that one.  Didn't stumble across this thread until today.

If you're aware of the device's capabilities, it's a steal for $35.  The dongle is small, and like others said, if you have HDMI 1.4 you don't even need USB power.  I wasn't aware of the power issue and was a bit annoyed at first, but in the end it was no big deal.  The device is very easy to set up, you just need a computer handy and your wi-fi password.

Casting from Chrome works better than I thought; on my newer Vizio LCD, I watch live streaming baseball games through MLB.tv with it and it looks like regular HDTV, no issues whatsoever.  On my older Panasonic plasma, the video is HD-quality but a little choppy.  Once you watch for a minute or two you don't even notice it.  Hopefully MLB.tv comes out with direct ChromeCast support soon and that issue is resolved.  Overall, the casting feature seems to work excellent.  If you're not doing streaming HD video, picture quality is excellent.  There is about a short delay from the time you do something on your PC to when it shows on the screen, probably about 1 second on average.

One interesting thing is that there is no security on the device itself.  I don't think there is anything stopping my neighbor (whose wi-fi network is in range) from adding my ChromeCast to his wi-fi network and streaming whatever he chooses to my house.  During setup, it searches for all ChromeCasts in range.  It could make for some fun pranks, especially in dense areas.

-Mike

The only apps with support are YouTube, Netflix, and Google Play movies/TV/music.  I assume many more apps will include this soon because of the crazy popularity at launch.  Chrome tab mirroring is better than I expected (see my last post), and solves issues if you want almost anything on the Internet to be on your TV, including streaming video from other sites.  You can use file:// URI's to play local files I believe as well.

-Mike

I picked one up from Best Buy the other day as well, it was hard to find but I grabbed one. Haven't gotten my Netflix code they promised, but I know Google ran out of them so I might be out of luck on that one.

-Mike

Look on your receipt.

Look on your receipt.

Ordered online, did in-store pickup.. didn't get a regular register receipt, just the full-sized piece of paper saying what I had picked up.  Nothing was on any of the online order confirmation e-mails either.

-Mike

Ordered online, did in-store pickup.. didn't get a regular register receipt, just the full-sized piece of paper saying what I had picked up. Nothing was on any of the online order confirmation e-mails either.

-Mike

Well crap, I know in store sales the code printed on the receipt. Unfortunately I don't know how it was handled for in store pickup.