Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

That is the factor that most people are forgetting. As more sites come onair in clusters, and are optimized with tilt and direction, we will see a better experience.

I wish this were true in all markets. It's just the known fact that 5mhz isn't cutting it in many places regardless of being a 100% LTE area. Band 26 will help a bit but that band 41 build out is needed quickly in many areas but that is a ways away for many.

• Like 2

Dumping the Sprint brand is nuts. The T-Mobile brand? Who says DT is going to own anything of the combined company in order to keep magenta branding.

Where I live TMobile's name is mud.

Same Here, T-mobile in East Texas is absolute garbage. I have to advise people not to go with them, unless they live very close to the towers, or where they work. It sucks, because I work for target, and Target has a T-mobile branded service, and have to sell it. But I think If a possible merger took place, a New Name would not be a bad name, possibly drop both T-mobile and sprint. At first maybe have it as SprinT-Mobile, and then drop that name for something New.

Look forward, not backward

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

That's looking forward.  That's not even me thinking of past performance indicating future results.

Robert

Meaning if this was Dan and Cos idea then yeah I'd be fearful. But SoftBank is betting a fortune on this working.

That's my fear.  I fear either that this will fail and Tmo gets a lot of money and possibly spectrum that relegates Sprint to a Number 4 position for a generation, or they pull it off and it's poorly done.

I really like the idea of a SoftBank controlled new branded entity with oodles of spectrum and a combined kickass network that can truly compete with the duopoly.  They finish out an organic nationwide build out that matches or exceeds coverage of the duopoly.  And that the new entity actually steals enough customers from the duopoly that the other two want to steal them back and kicks off massive competition.  Prices come down and there are three solid networks to choose from.

That second paragraph is possible.  But it's not likely.  That's exactly what AT&T said would happen too, and we didn't believe it.  Sprint would more likely do it than AT&T, but you shouldn't hold your breath.  They will not do one thing more than what is mandated by the Feds.

So if it had a good chance of going down like my preference, I'd support it.  But with what is known today, I'm against it.  Sprint has too much to lose if it is not successful.  And I'm not feeling good about what success will mean for all of us, either.

Robert

• Like 9

No Sprint/T-Mobile merger. Softbank acquires T-Mobile and then makes the two companies share networks. They enable this by using Brightstar to leverage the manufacturers to make handsets that support all frequencies and technologies on both networks. The two cooperating companies compete against each other on price, perks, and customer service, and with the big 2 on price, coverage, and capacity.

• Like 3

I wish this were true in all markets. It's just the known fact that 5mhz isn't cutting it in many places regardless of being a 100% LTE area. Band 26 will help a bit but that band 41 build out is needed quickly in many areas but that is a ways away for many.

I agree and with sprint's current band 41 plans I don't see that since of urgancy.

• Like 1

$45 billion.. imagine what kind of build-out they could accomplish with that kind of money. I-90 would be blanketed with B41 from coast to coast in no time ;)

That's assuming there is a Republican FCC, of course.. But even with another Democratic administration, I imagine they'd allow a TMUS buyout if they were that outgunned.

The FCC/DOJ can stop them from merging, but it can't FORCE TMUS to stay in business, can it. If the shareholders decide TMUS is worth more dead than alive ... they might elect to break themselves up and sell the pieces to various regional providers, or investors who want to become a regional provider, or they could simply liquidate their spectrum and gear on the open market. 

• Like 1

...or they could simply liquidate their spectrum and gear on the open market. 

Magentans might go for that.  They already think Neville Ray is a "rock star," and John Legere behaves like one.  They could buy pieces of their beloved T-Mobile as priceless memorabilia.  Maybe Ray and Legere could even start autographing antennas and Flexis.  Every purchase gets a free pink T-shirt thrown in, too.

AJ

• Like 5

That's my fear. I fear either that this will fail and Tmo gets a lot of money and possibly spectrum that relegates Sprint to a Number 4 position for a generation, or they pull it off and it's poorly done.

I really like the idea of a SoftBank controlled new branded entity with oodles of spectrum and a combined kickass network that can truly compete with the duopoly. They finish out an organic nationwide build out that matches or exceeds coverage of the duopoly. And that the new entity actually steals enough customers from the duopoly that the other two want to steal them back and kicks off massive competition. Prices come down and there are three solid networks to choose from.

That second paragraph is possible. But it's not likely. That's exactly what AT&T said would happen too, and we didn't believe it. Sprint would more likely do it than AT&T, but you shouldn't hold your breath. They will not do one thing more than what is mandated by the Feds.

So if it had a good chance of going down like my preference, I'd support it. But with what is known today, I'm against it. Sprint has too much to lose if it is not successful. And I'm not feeling good about what success will mean for all of us, either.

Robert

I agree with that!

To play the flip side. What if Softbank fails at buying TMO... And we pretty much know (at least think) DT wants to unload TMO faster than a McDump after eating a super sized meal :-) and the uncarrier event I think is proof of that...

So who is up if not Softbank... Many have speculated VodoPhone which might want to take on its old partner VZW which might explain why vzw hasn't been to vocal against the Softbank deal....

What ever happens its going to be an excited 18 months....

So who is up if not Softbank... Many have speculated VodoPhone...

Do not rule out "FrodoPhone:  The Desolation of T-Mobile."

AJ

• Like 3

Do not rule out "FrodoPhone:  The Desolation of T-Mobile."

AJ

Damn it AJ, I'm sending you another bill for another keyboard. lol

As for those still wishing for Softbank to keep the T-Mobile name and dumping Sprint, I do believe it was already mentioned numerous times that that will never happen. Why do folks still feel that will be a possibility.  :wacko:

TS out (getting another keyboard)

• Like 4

What can I say?  People have a hell of a time spelling "Vodafone."  So, that gives me plenty of prime opportunities for punchlines.

AJ

• Like 2

As for those still wishing for Softbank to keep the T-Mobile name and dumping Sprint, I do believe it was already mentioned numerous times that that will never happen. Why do folks still feel that will be a possibility.  :wacko:

TS out (getting another keyboard)

It's not that it won't ever happen, it's just that it is unlikely to. It's not like DT hasn't licensed the brand out to those it doesn't control before...

My biggest objection to a merger is the absence of change timeframd which will follow it. There wont be any overnight progress or quicker network evolution than the upgrade path already laid out by each company for the next 1-2 years. How long was it after softbank closed its purchase of sprint that the media expected something dramatic to occur? 60-90 days later.

It would be interesting to see a map of the sites/areas currently served by one carrier but not the other.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Further fodder that will support an argument that sprint needs the magenta http://www.jdpower.com/content/press-release/2rlA1q4/2014-u-s-wireless-customer-care-full-service-performance-study-and-u-s-wireless-customer-care-non-contract-performance-study-vol-1.htm

And I hate it.

• Like 1

Further fodder that will support an argument that sprint needs the magenta http://www.jdpower.com/content/press-release/2rlA1q4/2014-u-s-wireless-customer-care-full-service-performance-study-and-u-s-wireless-customer-care-non-contract-performance-study-vol-1.htm

And I hate it.

The studies always amuse me. As far as the postpaid carriers go, they ALL got a "C".

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Right. And network vision issues are likely the most common reason of late that customers are contacting care....and also the issue that care is least equipped or able to resolve.

• Like 1

I always thought that having a Tri-Band device was enough of a challenge but adding T-Mobile's AWS spectrum to the mix would make things even more complex than necessary. At best I see Sprint keeping T-Mobile and Metro PCS' 1900 spectrum and selling off AWS to Verizon to get cash for all that spectrum. 

In any case, I would much rather see Sprint/Softbank use all that money towards accelerating the Network Vision rollout rather than buying T-Mobile. 

• Like 1

I always thought that having a Tri-Band device was enough of a challenge but adding T-Mobile's AWS spectrum to the mix would make things even more complex than necessary. At best I see Sprint keeping T-Mobile and Metro PCS' 1900 spectrum and selling off AWS to Verizon to get cash for all that spectrum.

Supporting numerous LTE bands was once deemed difficult, but that is no longer the case.  The Nexus 5, case in point, supports all of the present LTE bands that Sprint and T-Mobile combined both use -- plus even two extra, band 5 and band 17, for AT&T.

Regardless, there is no way that Sprint-T-Mobile would divest all of T-Mobile's acquired AWS spectrum.  That would effectively pull the plug on the T-Mobile-MetroPCS network.

AJ

• Like 6