Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

And now the MVNO's are going.... "wait!?!  that's what we do, just charge the service cost and not the service+device rolled into one!"  I think it's great except for all the programs that are further gouging the customers with financing their devices but hey if people are stupid then why not, it's their choice to pay for it or finance it. 

If it was up to you, wouldn't you want to go that route? 

Reminds me of those funny old Taco Bell commercial where the dog passes the TV that has Jeopardy and he gives the answer.

Otosan is sitting there watching a T-Mobile commercial and he blurbs out "Bullshit" or "baloney" (due to censors) and turns to Sparky and start a conversation about Framily, Now, etc.

Otosan and Sparky. the possibilities are endless. Come on Son make it so. :D

TS

Would Otosan speak English though? Remember that Otosan is a human turned dog. Would Sparky be the same as well? Also what breed of dog would Sparky be? I'm leaning towards golden retriever.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Would Otosan speak English though? Remember that Otosan is a human turned dog. Would Sparky be the same as well? Also what breed of dog would Sparky be? I'm leaning towards golden retriever.

Would that make Tmo a yappy Chihuahua?  :roflmao:

Robert

• Like 7

I can just see you chasing Sprint store reps now, exactly like this (except perhaps without the bike):

Better Off Dead is a good movie.  For some reason they were talking about it on the local sports radio (WWLS) this morning.  Just coincidence or was that old movie in the news for some reason?

I may have to watch it tonight while I do my taxes. 

Note to self - do a speed test tonight from home to post to show LTE performance from a tower at a distance of 4.7 miles at -108dBm. 

Is it bad that I imagined a chihuahua wearing a T-Mobile shirt with Legere's hairdo?

New Marketing Ploy....

Don't T-Mobile....#UnMagenta

• Like 2

You mean these phones do not cost $200?  WTF, I want my $200 phone!

;)

AJ

I actually hate this! I will never be buying a phone from sprint again.

When my upgrade was up i really wanted the HTC One, so i looked around and ended up getting up getting it from costco for $150.

When i went into sprint to talk about that framily thing i noticed that all the phones had a pay a small about now then pay the rest over 24 months. I asked if i could just do the one payment and the 2 year contract like before and they said no.

The Moto x was $20 now and $20 for the next 24 months.. So not only does that make my bill $20 more a month thats also $500! What a bad deal..

^ for some it may be a bad deal for others its' fine. Depends on the person and their finances.

What's that saying "When in Rome" well Otosan would speak English in US commercials. He is a multinational and multilingual. 

As for breed. hmmm good question. 

When my upgrade was up i really wanted the HTC One, so i looked around and ended up getting up getting it from costco for $150.

When i went into sprint to talk about that framily thing i noticed that all the phones had a pay a small about now then pay the rest over 24 months. I asked if i could just do the one payment and the 2 year contract like before and they said no.

The Moto x was $20 now and $20 for the next 24 months.. So not only does that make my bill $20 more a month thats also $500! What a bad deal..

You better hurry up and try to get a "cheap" phone from Verizon or AT&T.  Subsidies are going away.  AT&T has already started to open the door too.

Robert

• Like 2

You pay for the phone subsidy in the price of the plan. So really all this is doing is making what was implicitly built into the plan explicit.

• Like 3

There is very little if nothing to be excited about the end of subsidies for me.  And we can thank the magentans and all their "contract free" bliss for ushering it in so soon.  Interested to see how it plays out in comparison to the 3rd party retailer sales those of us who are savvy shoppers have become accustomed to...   If Best Buy wants to drop the price of a $650 device to $500 one weekend, will sprint be willing to easy-pay that lower amount, or is amount amortized by Sprint going to be rigid?   I've always paid a considerably lower subsidized cost for my devices than the cost if bought directly from sprint. 

• Like 3

There is very little if nothing to be excited about the end of subsidies for me.  And we can thank the magentans and all their "contract free" bliss for ushering it in so soon.  Interested to see how it plays out it comparison to the 3rd party retailer sales those of us who are savvy shoppers have become accustomed to...   If Best Buy wants to drop the price of a $650 device to $500 one weekend, will sprint be willing to easy-pay that lower amount, or is amount amortized by Sprint going to be rigid?   I've always paid a considerably lower subsidized cost for my devices than the cost if bought directly from sprint.

Agreed. Disguised price increases for those who use upgrades.

There is very little if nothing to be excited about the end of subsidies for me.  And we can thank the magentans and all their "contract free" bliss for ushering it in so soon.  Interested to see how it plays out it comparison to the 3rd party retailer sales those of us who are savvy shoppers have become accustomed to...   If Best Buy wants to drop the price of a $650 device to $500 one weekend, will sprint be willing to easy-pay that lower amount, or is amount amortized by Sprint going to be rigid?   I've always paid a considerably lower subsidized cost for my devices than the cost if bought directly from sprint. 

I was going to post this...Amazon/Best Buy might be hurting soon because they're going to be forced out of the commission they get from contract upgrades.  Bestbuy's very reliant on it's mobile section and with this removal I'm interested in seeing what they'll do.  The other bad is that with the removal of contracts (while still being bound by phone monthly payments), means Sprint/any other carrier can change terms and conditions on the fly because you're not in contract with them anymore.  And now if T-Mobile leaves, Sprint will no doubt raise prices.

I was going to post this...Amazon/Best Buy might be hurting soon because they're going to be forced out of the commission they get from contract upgrades. Bestbuy's very reliant on it's mobile section and with this removal I'm interested in seeing what they'll do. The other bad is that with the removal of contracts (while still being bound by phone monthly payments), means Sprint/any other carrier can change terms and conditions on the fly because you're not in contract with them anymore. And now if T-Mobile leaves, Sprint will no doubt raise prices.

I think the end of subsidized phones could be what puts Radio Shack out for the count. I read the are really hurting lately.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I was going to post this...Amazon/Best Buy might be hurting soon because they're going to be forced out of the commission they get from contract upgrades.  Bestbuy's very reliant on it's mobile section and with this removal I'm interested in seeing what they'll do.  The other bad is that with the removal of contracts (while still being bound by phone monthly payments), means Sprint/any other carrier can change terms and conditions on the fly because you're not in contract with them anymore.  And now if T-Mobile leaves, Sprint will no doubt raise prices.

Exactly.  We've picked around this conversation already, but gone will be the days of squirreling out of service with Sprint for $0 because they "raised the admin fees" or "stopped giving my company a discount!".  Technically , "I'm moving my residence where you don't have service" isnt going to even matter.  All can be answered with, "no prob, just pay off your device fianancing!".  "Oh you don't want to, oh I'm sorry.  Just sell it to us for less than its worth"  "Oh you don't want to, I'm sorry..... I guess you will have to just try to re-sell it yourself AFTER you pay it off"    

So imagine you financed $500 after a $150 downpayment... and 6 months later, found out you have to move into some abyss without Sprint. No problem, you've made 6 months of payments, just spend the $380 and pay off your device.  

To me, the costs are logical and still recoverable.  The public's clamor over these changes is just so short sighted.  Softbank's scale will deliver us aggressive retail prices... the saving factor. 

• Like 1

Didn't Softbank recently purchase a controlling stake in Brightstar? I wonder if that combined with these new plans will give Sprint the muscle to bring down the cost of phones and tablets.

Some phones msrp dropped today. G2 went from 550 to 500,nexus 450 to 400, and kona 209 to 99. Were the ones i noticed.

Also here is a picture of the new price strips.yhanepuj.jpg

Sent from tapatalk

That's good. I was worried that the MSRP+financing would end up higher than the older subsidy model. Hopefully the larger economy of scale will balance in a way to allow the prices to continue to drop to a more Nexus-like price tag as an average.

I was going to post this...Amazon/Best Buy might be hurting soon because they're going to be forced out of the commission they get from contract upgrades. Bestbuy's very reliant on it's mobile section and with this removal I'm interested in seeing what they'll do. The other bad is that with the removal of contracts (while still being bound by phone monthly payments), means Sprint/any other carrier can change terms and conditions on the fly because you're not in contract with them anymore. And now if T-Mobile leaves, Sprint will no doubt raise prices.

They can change prices but you are free to leave.

Exactly. We've picked around this conversation already, but gone will be the days of squirreling out of service with Sprint for $0 because they "raised the admin fees" or "stopped giving my company a discount!". Technically , "I'm moving my residence where you don't have service" isnt going to even matter. All can be answered with, "no prob, just pay off your device fianancing!". "Oh you don't want to, oh I'm sorry. Just sell it to us for less than its worth" "Oh you don't want to, I'm sorry..... I guess you will have to just try to re-sell it yourself AFTER you pay it off"

So imagine you financed $500 after a $150 downpayment... and 6 months later, found out you have to move into some abyss without Sprint. No problem, you've made 6 months of payments, just spend the $380 and pay off your device.

To me, the costs are logical and still recoverable. The public's clamor over these changes is just so short sighted. Softbank's scale will deliver us aggressive retail prices... the saving factor.

Yeah, welcome to the world where you pay for your mobile device. It is much like the world where you pay for your car, tv or anything else. If you move to the middle of SF or New York and the car your financing becomes impractical you sell it and move on with your life.

• Like 2

Yeah, welcome to the world where you pay for your mobile device. It is much like the world where you pay for your car, tv or anything else. If you move to the middle of SF or New York and the car your financing becomes impractical you sell it and move on with your life.

With this change to paying for your phone, shouldn't the monthly service fee go down to compensate and ETFs go away? It frustrates me that I don't think either happened... Except on T-mobile.

With this change to paying for your phone, shouldn't the monthly service fee go down to compensate and ETFs go away? It frustrates me that I don't think either happened... Except on T-mobile.

It depends on the plan you look at. On the everything data plans the savings are marginal on the framily plans. With the max framily tier and five lines on everything data it's 45 vs 48 per line. But it is clear sprint wanted to raise prices and did so with their my way plans. When you compare these plans with framily the savings are more substantial. Further these plans give people who don't use much data more options so they are a bit more flexible. Either way these plans keep sprint right where they have been with regards to price, higher than tmobile but lower than ATT and verizon and I think that is where they want to be.

The framily plans are lower.

Sent from tapatalk

The monthly service costs have gone down on Framily plan pricing.  And Framily plans are no contract, hence no ETF.

AJ

• Like 1