Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

If they merge I almost hope they pick a new name without Sprint or T mobile in it. Maybe ditch some of the "they suck" I hear if I mention either name.

Sent from my SPH-L900

• Like 4

If the merge I almost hope they pick a new name without Sprint or T mobile in it. Maybe ditch some of the "they suck" I hear if I mention either name.

Sent from my SPH-L900

Maybe ... Nextel ... I know I didn't just say that out loud did I? :mellow:

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

If they merge I almost hope they pick a new name without Sprint or T mobile in it. Maybe ditch some of the "they suck" I hear if I mention either name.

Uh, yeah, just rename it Moving to the West Coast and Screwing Over Kansas City Mobile.

AJ

• Like 2

I really think softbank will get rid of the sprint brand and just keep tmobile. People will be supportive if the two merge but keep tmobiles core philosophies and marketing strategies.

Ill support softbank if they favor the tmobile brand over sprints

I really think softbank will get rid of the sprint brand and just keep tmobile. People will be supportive if the two merge but keep tmobiles core philosophies and marketing strategies.

Ill support softbank if they favor the tmobile brand over sprints

Hello?  The T-Mobile brand belongs to Deutsche Telekom.  Not gonna happen...

AJ

• Like 5

Hello? The T-Mobile brand belongs to Deutsche Telekom. Not gonna happen...

AJ

Ok they might keep the name sprint but best believe SoftBank will probably keep tmobiles exec team over sprints or mix and match. Not hating on sprint but tmobile is winning they are doing something right. Sprint has all the tools they need but I feel they don't have a "sense of urgency" like the other 3 when it comes to their network

Ok they might keep the name sprint but best believe SoftBank will probably keep tmobiles exec team over sprints or mix and match. Not hating on sprint but tmobile is winning they are doing something right. Sprint has all the tools they need but I feel they don't have a "sense of urgency" like the other 3 when it comes to their network

I doubt the few remaining customers left in T-Mobile's vast GPRS/EDGE wilderness are feeling much of that "sense of urgency." Sprint itself is feeling quite urgent to get NV done, believe me, but unfortunately many of their backhaul providers are not.

The exec team (or at least the network team) that remains would probably be a reflection of which 2G/3G platform they'd intend to keep around longer- GSM or CDMA? I hope and expect GSM & W-CDMA will be phased out first, with CDMA 1xA on SMR persisting due to its superior propagation, spectral efficiency, and voice quality, with (Vo)LTE occupying the rest of their holdings. Hopefully they at least move to using CSIMs and allowing domestic unlocks to nullify the portability argument for the GSM ecosystem.

That leaves only the question of who Son will hand the reigns at the top to- the amicable and seasoned Hesse, or the belligerent but popular Legere?

• Like 1

Son would have to insure there would be a 4th carrier option... The simple fact that both tmobile and Sprint didn't participate in the h block auction even though they both have adjacent spectrum was a move to allow dish to secure its own reserve... Sprint simply needs to host dishes intial roll out, host some tower agreements in aws pcs frequency till dish can support its own build out independently... Same way tmobile at&t did when they had a network share agreement... to allow the 4 carrier set up to continue if that is what the fcc wants..... Operate as mvno in initial stages till it can bring profit... Get device support for its lte frequency with chipset support for its independent network maybe have roaming agreements in place with the new Sprint tmobile combined network.... Fcc would be open to that possibly?

Transfering ownership of duplicate tower coverage as well would be a good start ....

The whole scenario is really complicated and has layers, but that is the only way it seems; as tmobile as made themselves looks like very capable singularly to get regulators to even have a inkling to consider....

Son would have to insure there would be a 4th carrier option... The simple fact that both tmobile and Sprint didn't participate in the h block auction even though they both have adjacent spectrum was a move to allow dish to secure its own reserve... Sprint simply needs to host dishes intial roll out, host some tower agreements in aws pcs frequency till dish can support its own build out independently... Same way tmobile at&t did when they had a network share agreement... to allow the 4 carrier set up to continue if that is what the fcc wants..... Operate as mvno in initial stages till it can bring profit... Get device support for its lte frequency with chipset support for its independent network maybe have roaming agreements in place with the new Sprint tmobile combined network.... Fcc would be open to that possibly?

Transfering ownership of duplicate tower coverage as well would be a good start ....

The whole scenario is really complicated and has layers, but that is the only way it seems; as tmobile as made themselves looks like very capable singularly to get regulators to even have a inkling to consider....

Read my earlier posts as to what I think it will take take for this merger to be concluded sucessfully. Basically, they have to make it appear as if Dih will be a viable 4th competitor: Namely, they have to spinoff T-Mobile's network minus the spectrum after they have incorporated T-Mobile's antennas in their Vision 3.0/4.0. Then they have to spin off EBS to Dish. 

Hello?  The T-Mobile brand belongs to Deutsche Telekom.  Not gonna happen...

AJ

Not so fast, it appears as if it could happen. My guess is that maybe sprint does want the tmo name? 

I hope they change the colors regardless of whatever the new name is.

It also appears tmo wants another breakup fee....

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20140128-712885.html

"The parties are working through remaining issues including the size of any breakup fee that would be paid if the deal falls apart, who would lead the combined company and whether it should be branded T-Mobile or Sprint, the people said. Those issues could take time to resolve, they said."

Read my earlier posts as to what I think it will take take for this merger to be concluded sucessfully. Basically, they have to make it appear as if Dih will be a viable 4th competitor: Namely, they have to spinoff T-Mobile's network minus the spectrum after they have incorporated T-Mobile's antennas in their Vision 3.0/4.0. Then they have to spin off EBS to Dish. 

Wouldnt that be alot of valuable spectrum to give up??? I can see spinning off whatever tmo towers they dont need, as well as some of tmos aws, but dish does own some 700 already. Maybe give up some aws, and some ebs? Then give up some of tmo prepaid customers?

Uh, yeah, just rename it Moving to the West Coast and Screwing Over Kansas City Mobile.

AJ

"I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.. "

Not so fast, it appears as if it could happen. My guess is that maybe sprint does want the tmo name? 

I hope they change the colors regardless of whatever the new name is.

It also appears tmo wants another breakup fee....

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20140128-712885.html

"The parties are working through remaining issues including the [/size]size of any breakup fee that would be paid if the deal falls apart, who would lead the combined company and whether it should be branded T-Mobile or Sprint, the people said. Those issues could take time to resolve, they said."

I hate to break it to you and everyone else who seems to have the idea that the T-Mobile brand is going to remain. Once DT sells, it is gone. T-Mobile as a name belongs to DT. Sprint/Softbank have no say in using the T-Mobile name.

That being said, I hope it remains Sprint. The Sprint brand has a lot of history and Sprint has played an important role in the telecommunications and networking industry. Just because a few trolls living at home who have nothing better to do than crap on everything from behind a screen like to bash Sprint doesn't mean that Sprint's name is tarnished or a liability. AT&T didn't have to ditch their name after the iPhone brought their network to its knees. Why should Sprint?

• Like 10

I hate to break it to you and everyone else who seems to have the idea that the T-Mobile brand is going to remain. Once DT sells, it is gone. T-Mobile as a name belongs to DT. Sprint/Softbank have no say in using the T-Mobile name.

That being said, I hope it remains Sprint. The Sprint brand has a lot of history and Sprint has played an important role in the telecommunications and networking industry. Just because a few trolls living at home who have nothing better to do than crap on everything from behind a screen like to bash Sprint doesn't mean that Sprint's name is tarnished or a liability. AT&T didn't have to ditch their name after the iPhone brought their network to its knees. Why should Sprint?

I am not sure if you read the whole article, however it seems that they are talking to DT about it in some way. We know the name belongs to DT, The article seems to imply that it is part of the negotiations- Who knows maybe DT is trying to sell the name and Sprint doesnt want it, according to the article the name is somehow being tossed around.

Sprint does have a lot of history, that being said sprint is losing customers and many people don't seem to believe in Sprint like they do other carriers. Hopefully, Mr Son will come up with some kind of new marketing plan to bring some of those people back.  

Having been with Sprint since they first popped up here in Mass, I don't care if they change the name or not as long as I have good service for a decent price.

Its a lot more that a few trolls my dude. Every article your youtube video i see that do with 3g or lte and sprint well they never have anything good to say

Its a lot more that a few trolls my dude. Every article your youtube video i see that do with 3g or lte and sprint well they never have anything good to say

I will refer you to comment #922.  Attentions are short sighted, people will come back if the buck is what they want to save.

• Like 2

Let them say what they will.

tmp_Screenshot_2014-01-30-11-46-451780638523.png

• Like 6

They never have anything good to say?

There are alot of anti-Sprint trolls that seem to be stuck in a loop.

The reality is that the trolls are running out of ammo so they keep bringing up items that are almost non-issue now.

I have seen people get attacked by saying that Sprint sucked for them but now the service is better than carrier X.

Perception has already started to change for the better.

• Like 2

I will refer you to comment #922.  Attentions are short sighted, people will come back if the buck is what they want to save.

I agree completely, As soon as Sprint gets a "catchy" new marketing campaign going people will come back if the price is right. Framily is a good start, but I think there is a little more to go on the front end.

• Like 1

They could start by bringing back the 30-day trial period that they had before they shortened it to 14 days. The return of the Sprint Premiere program to offer subsidies for more valuable customers once they change everything over to Easy Pay would be a nice perk as well once the other cellular providers do away with subsidies.

• Like 5

They could start by bringing back the 30-day trial period that they had before they shortened it to 14 days. The return of the Sprint Premiere program to offer subsidies for more valuable customers once they change everything over to Easy Pay would be a nice perk as well once the other cellular providers do away with subsidies.

RIght on! Sprint needs to go on the offensive and GO GET those people back. I hope if this tmo thing doesnt go through they have a real aggressive plan b. 

U.S. Cellular, and very aggressive pricing and policies. If Sprint doesnt get tmo I would def bring back 30 days- but I would also take advantage of  Brightstar and start giving customers money off these new phones. Something to stir up the Sprint name

The 30-day window would bring in people who are attracted by Sprint's pricing but are wary of what they've heard about the service. If they can try it out risk-free they'll be more likely to give the new network a try.

• Like 2

RIght on! Sprint needs to go on the offensive and GO GET those people back. I hope if this tmo thing doesnt go through they have a real aggressive plan b.

U.S. Cellular, and very aggressive pricing and policies. If Sprint doesnt get tmo I would def bring back 30 days- but I would also take advantage of Brightstar and start giving customers money off these new phones. Something to stir up the Sprint name

The industry standard is 14 days and i don't see that changing. Sprint takes a pretty hard line on it and i've seen people turned away on day 15 many times.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

The 30-day window would bring in people who are attracted by Sprint's pricing but are wary of what they've heard about the service. If they can try it out risk-free they'll be more likely to give the new network a try.

No contract is better than a 30 day window. Buy a cheap phone and try the service out.

Rather than a subsidy what about giving loyalty bonuses like free 1gb hotspot or a voucher code that is tied to users Framily ID that gives 1 month mrc to the new subscriber.

No contract is better than a 30 day window. Buy a cheap phone and try the service out.

Rather than a subsidy what about giving loyalty bonuses like free 1gb hotspot or a voucher code that is tied to users Framily ID that gives 1 month mrc to the new subscriber.

Contract or no, if they can bring their phone back within 30 days and get a full refund for the device, that is a huge incentive to take a chance. I like the loyalty bonus instead of a subsidy.

• Like 1