Softbank - New Sprint - Discussion

linhpham2

Your knowledge of wireless history is one of my favorite things about this place.

Maybe we can all gather around the fireplace in The Lounge while I tell wireless licensing history stories.

AJ

• Like 5

Maybe we can all gather around the fireplace in The Lounge while I tell wireless licensing history stories.

AJ

Please, Daddy. Do tell us another bedtime story. But please leave out the Boogieman. Hearing of his glowing magenta eyes and greasy hair scare me ever so. Or, tell us the one where the Japanese Samaurai comes and slays the Boogieman! I like that one, Daddy!

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 13

Please, Daddy. Do tell us another bedtime story. But please leave out the Boogieman. Hearing of his glowing magenta eyes and greasy hair scare me ever so. Or, tell us the one where the Japanese Samaurai comes and slays the Boogieman! I like that one, Daddy! Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

hahah thats so close it hurts. We should give away a prize to the person who can find a picture of him smiling in a normal manner. I keep looking for fish hooks in the corners of his mouth holding the smile in place. At least he has a future career on Walking Dead. 

• Like 3

"Once upon a time when cell phones looked this..."

450px-2007Computex_e21Forum-MartinCooper

Meh you're kidding right :) That's just the handset! Wait till you see the battery.

cellpics-0.jpg

Can you imagine the Zerolemon for that? It would need to come with wheels. 

"Once upon a time when cell phones looked this..."

No, it would be more like "Back in my day..."

AJ

• Like 1

Eh, where are you located in Connecticut? That was SNET territory, which became SBC then Cingular then AT&T territory.

Are you in the northwest corner of the state? That is the only CMA where AT&TWS ever had native presence.

AJ

Yup, that's why I referenced the real AT&T :-)

Which I think was actually divested to altell when Cingular bought AT&T and later was sold off to vzw. If my memory is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, that's why I referenced the real AT&T :-)

Which I think was actually divested to altell when Cingular bought AT&T and later was sold off to vzw. If my memory is good.

Yes, then you must be located in Litchfield County, as it is a CMA unto itself.  And it is a Cellular A block CMA that was divested to Alltel in the Cingular-AT&TWS proceedings because Cingular already held a Cellular B block license in that CMA from its SNET legacy.  Alltel converted that lone CMA to CDMA2000, but it was hundreds of miles from the nearest Alltel property.  So, its sell off to VZW, which held the surrounding Cellular A block licenses in the state, was inevitable.  The Litchfield County sale to VZW was a separate transaction that just preceded the national VZW-Alltel acquisition.

AJ

• Like 2

If I recall SoftBank started to get ready to acquire TMO when Dish started to mess up the Sprint buyout.

My assumption is that SB always had a vision to cobble Sprint/TMO/ClearWire together.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Hesse and Son have history which we have discussed extensively in past posts when we would still refer to old craig mccaw

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One, I do not think my post "condescending."  I just say it like it is.

Two, I have to assume you are factoring in the $20 charge for "unlimited" data, correct?  So, exactly how much Sprint data do you use per month?  And do you have some sort of volume pricing discount on your current plan?

AJ

I'm on the Everything Plus referral plans, so there is a small discount, but I'm comparing old EPRP to new EPRP, not EPRP to regular plans.

I have two lines with smartphones and one line with a flip phone. The minimum bill under my current (old) Everything Plus Data 1600 plan is $95 + $14.99 + $14.99 for voice, text, and data, and $10 + $10 for required Premium Data, so my minimum bill is $144.98.

Under the EP My Way plans (which are the only currently offered EPRP plan as of today), I would pay $50 + $40 + $30 for voice and text, and $20 + $20 for the required smartphone data plan, so my minimum bill would be $160, and the flip phone would lose all data access.

Under the new Framily plan, if I understand it correctly, I would pay $45 + $45 + $45 for voice, text, and 1GB data, and $20 + $20 for my two smartphone lines to get unlimited data since they both go over 1GB per month on a regular basis, meaning my bill would be $175. This number is higher than both other options, AND I'm no longer getting a device subsidy. Now, Framily plans aren't offered under EPRP yet, so I can assume that if/when they are, this price will go down. But even if it goes down $30/month and becomes comparable to what I'm paying now, it still no longer includes a device subsidy.

Now, enough about my discounted plans; let's say I don't have an employee account and I'm just the average consumer. Even if I was moving from the consumer Everything Data 1500 plan to the Framily plan, it would still be a worse deal. Under that plan, I would pay $110 + $19.99 + $19.99 for voice, text, and data, and $10 + $10 Premium Data, for a total of $169.98. Or if I was moving from the consumer My Way plan, I would be paying $50 + $40 + $30 for voice and text, and $30 + $30 for smartphone data, for a total of $180.

So the Framily plan at $175 would be $5/month cheaper than the consumer My Way plan. But again, I lose the device subsidy, which is worth a lot more than $5/month.

And I get what you're saying about the "unsustainable" business model, and if I as a consumer cared about that, I would still argue that they already raised prices there once by requiring Premium Data for all smartphones. So between My Way and Framily, this will be the third time in the last 5 years that they are raising prices on unlimited customers. But my concern about using this as an opportunity to opaquely raise prices is still valid, as I can see purely by the bottom line that my bill would increase under the new plan even if I started paying cash for every future device.

Maybe if I had 10 lines on my account it would be a different story.

But Framily and pricing belong in another topic.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Dang you daddy Robert! hehehe, this discussions certainly do belong in other threads but the basic takeaway I am seeing here is that in certain (or many cases) depending on the number of devices on an account and type of old plan one falls under, these new plans, whether Framily, My Way, All-in, etc (regardless of disappearing discounts) are actually more expensive.

Certain aspects of this discussion do belong here if related to changes that resulted from post-SB New Sprint as the thread implies.  i certainly don't agree with some of the whining, complaints or other things we frown upon here.  It is hard for one to extract context from pure text unfortunately so some will get their panties in a wad.

I for one am happy with Sprint and have been a long time supporter even through the growing pains and headaches we have seen in the last 15 years.  Would I want to leave my old/present plan for one of these new ones? Of course not, but that is because the value is there at my price point for the number and types of devices I have (all smartphones, tablets or hotspots) which my "Everything Whatever" plan of the past provides me. $450/mo is not a small sum but for some and at least for me any changes to a newer post-Softbank plan would result in an additional $100 or more dollars per month.

piggybacking on what you said earlier, everyone should make decisions based on what is the best for their particular circumstances, whether another carrier or plan that is the best fit for them.

P.S.  I still love these sometimes horrifying campfire stories that go on around here.

I am honestly beginning to dread this merger. I don't want T-Mobile customers to think that Sprint hasn't done anything with their rollout. Everywhere I read, its Sprint has had the slowest rollout of all...But none of them know the facts and limiting factors behind the rollout. It'll go, "Sprint-Tmobile merger approved, T-Mobile management steps in to save Sprint" and everyone will hail T-Mobile and Legere like he's the god of cellular networks. Meanwhile, Sprint will already have been on its final stages of NV 1.0 and we all know there's only improvement from there... all of which is no thanks to Tmobile lol.

I guess extremely good for marketing and getting new subs or #unsubs as a Sprint Tmobile combination might really push people from ATT and Verizon, but not too good for Sprint's name I feel.

• Like 1

I am honestly beginning to dread this merger. I don't want T-Mobile customers to think that Sprint hasn't done anything with their rollout. Everywhere I read, its Sprint has had the slowest rollout of all...But none of them know the facts and limiting factors behind the rollout. It'll go, "Sprint-Tmobile merger approved, T-Mobile management steps in to save Sprint" and everyone will hail T-Mobile and Legere like he's the god of cellular networks. Meanwhile, Sprint will already have been on its final stages of NV 1.0 and we all know there's only improvement from there... all of which is no thanks to Tmobile lol.

I guess extremely good for marketing and getting new subs or #unsubs as a Sprint Tmobile combination might really push people from ATT and Verizon, but not too good for Sprint's name I feel.

Thing is Sprint has had the slowest roll out! No matter why or how much better it will be. It's the slowest - customers, analysts or the press don't care why.

In all honesty Sprint needs TMO And TMO needs sprint. Why? Because SoftBank wants it that way.

Thing is Sprint has had the slowest roll out! No matter why or how much better it will be. It's the slowest - customers, analysts or the press don't care why.

In all honesty Sprint needs TMO And TMO needs sprint. Why? Because SoftBank wants it that way.

Has it really been that slow though, or is it just slow compared to TMO because  a lot more is involved with Sprints NV. I thought they were only a quarter behind?

Edit: I also have to partially disagree with the TMO needs Sprint and Sprint needs TMO. TMO needs sprint more than sprint needs TMO I feel. Sprint will be fine in the end. Triband will be a huge marketing factor, along with WAY better coverage area than Tmobile's islets style coverage. 

• Like 2

I remember reading about the Network Vision proposal back in 2011. It feels like ancient history now, but it's only been a couple of years. I have only gone through one contract renewal since the start of this. During the length of just one contract, Sprint upgraded about 32,000 towers and added LTE across about half the network. There were issues with both Light Squared and Clearwire, the decommissioning of iDen, the buyout from Softbank, the purchase of Clearwire and the possible merger with T-Mobile. That's a lot considering it has all happened within the scope of just a couple of years.

• Like 10

Sprint started late. The roll out has not been slow. In fact it is much faster that ATT of vzw. The problem with sprint's roll out is they missed their own dead line and had to push the project completion date back 6 months. But even with this their progress has been very fast.

• Like 1

I agree with everyone here... my point was/is those are great reasons but still an excuse.  And many many people will never use Sprint again.  That is why I think Sprint needs TMO (network wise no way - Sprint with a tri band network will rock!) 

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm really getting tired of people whining "Sprint's gonna ruin tmobile!!!11!!!111eleven" or "They're just gonna use the T-Mobile brand and pricing and management (and if they don't, I'll leave and start my own provider)!" or even "It's a reverse takeover!". I used to support the merger, but now I just want to see Sprint carry on on its own, as do the rabid T-Mobile users.

Yeah, I'm really getting tired of people whining "Sprint's gonna ruin tmobile!!!11!!!111eleven" or "They're just gonna use the T-Mobile brand and pricing and management (and if they don't, I'll leave and start my own provider)!" or even "It's a reverse takeover!". I used to support the merger, but now I just want to see Sprint carry on on its own, as do the rabid T-Mobile users.

With blackjack! And hookers! You know what? Screw the provider!

• Like 5

Triband will be a important factor depending on how fast they can roll it out. 800 lte is already late and alot of the country doesnt have 800 cdma either. Lots of the country is still waiting on backhaul that is out of Sprints control and vendors like Ericsson are moving a snails pace. Ericsson has the least sites to work on and they still have the least sites complete. There is no excuse for Ericsson dropping the ball like that and they are making Sprint look bad in the process.

Has it really been that slow though, or is it just slow compared to TMO because a lot more is involved with Sprints NV. I thought they were only a quarter behind?

Edit: I also have to partially disagree with the TMO needs Sprint and Sprint needs TMO. TMO needs sprint more than sprint needs TMO I feel. Sprint will be fine in the end. Triband will be a huge marketing factor, along with WAY better coverage area than Tmobile's islets style coverage.

• Like 3

Normally I would agree that perception trumps reality. In this case the perception is factual wrong and short sighted. Frankly, it is disappointing that the "tech journalist" have gotten this wrong.

• Like 1

I agree with everyone here... my point was/is those are great reasons but still an excuse.  And many many people will never use Sprint again.  That is why I think Sprint needs TMO (network wise no way - Sprint with a tri band network will rock!) 

Those reasons are not an excuse.  Those reasons are a product of a fast implementation.  If this was planned for a longer setup, say 4 years, we would then have the ability to say "those reasons are excuses, 4 years is long enough." The execution has been fast and extreme and being behind 3 months on a national sacale is very impressive considering their resources at the time. 

As for people not coming back, yeah right.  People, Americans, have such a short memory that they will come back if the price and service is better for their bottom line.  This is just pure economics.  If people don't come back, then might as well enjoy the unrestrictedness of the network while we have it.

• Like 3

For those of us in favor of a buyout, we have to be realistic with the regulatory climate Son will be facing.  It is my belief that the best way to minimize a magentan coup (100k+ complaints to the FCC and Justice Department) as well as win support from the FCC and JD will be to not just charm the magentan messiah with a golden parachute, but also offer him a senior position at the combined entity which allows him to continue to pander his maverick persona and emulate a late life rock and roll star.  Film some commercials with him, telling us how amazing this new "un-carrier" creation will be just as soon as the offer is accepted.  As he has the loudest voice, turn him into the spokesman for the merger. 

If Sprint goes for Tmo, it won't matter whether what the magentans are saying about Sprint is true or not.  All that will matter is whether they can coalesced to have faith in the company that results early and well enough.  We are going to see the Verizon and ATT lobbyist nests ignite at least a dozen puppet senators to staunchly oppose a merger and theres nothing we can do about that.  

Sprint will suffer extreme reputation damage if it goes for Tmo and is denied by our government. So, making peace with the magentans (and letting them think whatever they need to think to be happy about it) becomes a top priority in a merger. 

• Like 1

For those of us in favor of a buyout, we have to be realistic with the regulatory climate Son will be facing.  It is my belief that the best way to minimize a magentan coup (100k+ complaints to the FCC and Justice Department) will be to not just charm the magentan messiah with a golden parachute, but also offer him a senior position at the combined entity which allows him to continue to pander his maverick persona and emulate a late life rock and roll star.  Film some commercials with him, telling us how amazing this new "un-carrier" creation will be just as soon as the offer is accepted.  As he has the loudest voice, turn him into the spokesman for the merger.  If Sprint goes for Tmo, it won't matter whether what the magentans are saying about Sprint is true or not.  All that will matter is whether they can coalesced to have faith in the company that results early and well enough.  We are going to see the Verizon and ATT lobbyist nests ignite at least a dozen puppet senators to staunchly oppose a merger and theres nothing we can do about that.

Many magentans died to bring us this information. Good riddance.

AJ

• Like 10

What will the Tmo Koolaid drinkers say if this deal gets formally announced and Legere starts running around talking about how good this deal is going to be.  Will they reject him for that line of thinking, or will the embrace their Messiah and go along with the buyout message being good for their souls merely because the Pied-Magenta-Piper says so?  It will be interesting.

Robert

• Like 15