How to Spot Sprint Antennas and RRUs (Samsung)

lilotimz

Question regarding Samsung RRUs, are they mixed mode, as in a single RRU can do both PCS and SMR or are separate RRUs needed for the separate bands?

By mixed/dual mode they mean the RRU can do both CDMA and LTE (or WiMax and LTE in the case of 2.6 Ghz RRUs). So in Sprint's case, you have RRUs for PCS, 800SMR, and eventually BRS/EBS.

By mixed/dual mode they mean the RRU can do both CDMA and LTE (or WiMax and LTE in the case of 2.6 Ghz RRUs). So in Sprint's case, you have RRUs for PCS, 800SMR, and eventually BRS/EBS.

I'd say PCS/SMR and CDMA/LTE at the same time.  I.E. CDMA/LTE on PCS and CDMA/LTE on SMR on a single RRU.

I'd say PCS/SMR and CDMA/LTE at the same time.  I.E. CDMA/LTE on PCS and CDMA/LTE on SMR on a single RRU.

On Samsung sites with both SMR and PCS, you usally see 2 RRU's per antenna, one for PCS and one for SMR. In the IBEZ you won't have any SMR RRUs of course, so on those sites you won't see a 2nd RRU. You also see SMR skipped on some sites in dense urban areas.

On Samsung sites with both SMR and PCS, you usally see 2 RRU's per antenna, one for PCS and one for SMR. In the IBEZ you won't have any SMR RRUs of course, so on those sites you won't see a 2nd RRU. You also see SMR skipped on some sites in dense urban areas.

I need to make a closer visit to my new local site, when I drive by on the freeway I swear there is only 1 RRU. With the site spacing in West Michigan, they need SMR on basically every tower.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

I need to make a closer visit to my new local site, when I drive by on the freeway I swear there is only 1 RRU. With the site spacing in West Michigan, they need SMR on basically every tower.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Confirmed only a single RRU, next visit I'll have my SLR and take pics to find out what is going on with this site.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you guys know what these are (marked by Red arrows)? There were guys working on my tower, then they left 3 days ago. This is what they added (3 total of them). I haven't seen this in other threads. I'm 99% sure that's where Sprint's equipment is located. This is in Madison, WI so a Samsung market.

Posted Image

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

Do you guys know what these are (marked by Red arrows)? There were guys working on my tower, then they left 3 days ago. This is what they added (3 total of them). I haven't seen this in other threads. I'm 99% sure that's where Sprint's equipment is located. This is in Madison, WI so a Samsung market.

Ericsson RRUS11. 

• Like 1

Ericsson RRUS11.

Huh. How about that. There are 5 of them actually, it looks like. I'll go over to that thread to do some learnin.

Edit: are there other markets like this? Is this really an ATT rack? Strange. I'll get some closer pics tomorrow when the light is better and I have my DSLR. I want to see the bottoms of the antennas and the plugs.

Huh. How about that. There are 5 of them actually, it looks like. I'll go over to that thread to do some learnin. Edit: are there other markets like this? Is this really an ATT rack? Strange. I'll get some closer pics tomorrow when the light is better and I have my DSLR. I want to see the bottoms of the antennas and the plugs. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

That's a verizon setup. 

ATT's typical setups look like this

yGC2vD4h.jpg

That's a verizon setup.

ATT's typical setups look like this

Posted Image

Is that second rack VZW? Third down is ATT? (pic from when they were working. Their truck had a Samsung rru antenna setup sitting in the back. That's why I thought it was Sprint for sure.)

There's a 4th rack that has like 2 pencil thin antennas on it that don't match anything I've seen.

Posted Image

Alright. I think I've clarified things today with better pictures.

Here's that Top Rack - not Sprint, look at antenna wire arrangement

Posted Image

Here's the whole tower

Posted Image

Here's where I believe NV will appear when they're ready (bottom rack), right there in the middle of the skinny ones. As I got real close to the tower, it's clear this is what's going on based on other towers I've stalked.

Posted Image

For the whole tower, top to bottom, I'd guess AT&T, VZW or USCC, T Mobile, then Sprint?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so let me get this straight... Both Ericsson and Alcatel-Lucent use 3 RRUs, and the Samsung setups only use two RRUs, correct? Also, what does RRU stand for? For some reason I feel like radio responder unit is the correct answer there.

Ok, so let me get this straight... Both Ericsson and Alcatel-Lucent use 3 RRUs, and the Samsung setups only use two RRUs, correct? Also, what does RRU stand for? For some reason I feel like radio responder unit is the correct answer there.

Remote Radio Heads / Remote Radio Units

• Like 1

Thanks! And as for the # of RRUs, Samsung has 2 while both Alcatel-Lucent and Ericsson have 3, right?

ALU has 2 RRUs with their new PCS model. Ericsson has 3 or 4 depending on if it's a high capacity site or not. 

ALU has 2 RRUs with their new PCS model. Ericsson has 3 or 4 depending on if it's a high capacity site or not. 

Ok thanks! I couldn't quite tell if the one ALU is 2 RRUs back to back, or 1 large one. Thanks for your help!

• 1 month later...

lilotimz

I was out getting some pics of this new site in SLC SL25XC135 which I believe is replacing another site due to construction. Anyways there is a antenna on it as well that is cone shaped would that be microwave? I thought NV is getting away from microwave? Its on the right?

kelpjsZ.jpg

lilotimz

I was out getting some pics of this new site in SLC SL25XC135 which I believe is replacing another site due to construction. Anyways there is a antenna on it as well that is cone shaped would that be microwave? I thought NV is getting away from microwave? Its on the right?

Posted Image

Microwaves are usually rectangular and have a lot of buttons on the front. ;)

Yes that looks like microwave backhaul. WiMax markets have a lot of that on the WiMax gear.

Microwaves are usually rectangular and have a lot of buttons on the front. ;)

Yes that looks like microwave backhaul. WiMax markets have a lot of that on the WiMax gear.

very clever digi!! I thought it might be but as this site is a new site not a remodeled site I didn't think it would have microwave? So does that mean they will use microwave on some NV sites?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

very clever digi!! I thought it might be but as this site is a new site not a remodeled site I didn't think it would have microwave? So does that mean they will use microwave on some NV sites?

Approximately 10% of Network Vision sites will utilize microwave backhaul. If they can easily and cheaply get fiber to the site then they will but if not then microwave will work just fine. 

Approximately 10% of Network Vision sites will utilize microwave backhaul. If they can easily and cheaply get fiber to the site then they will but if not then microwave will work just fine.

huh interesting as fiber is all through downtown where this site is.