COUNTDOWN!!! Nextel iDEN Shutdown

I meant confirmation that at 11:59 there was a Nextel signal and that now, there is no more signal.

LOL misunderstood, my bad.  :wacko: I was asking the same earlier this evening in regards to the time zone. 

We welcome your first post.  But the naming rights opportunity is over.  In fact, the iDEN countdown clock is counting down its own existence as we speak.

AJ

Thanks for the quick reply and for the warm welcome, most happy to be part of a great group and site like this one. 

Alright, so the contest is continued from The Lounge tonight.  Keep them coming, guys.  The best Nextel iDEN postmortem wins my $50 donation.

I have already submitted mine:  "LeRoy is dead.  Vive le Roi!"

AJ

Well, that's it then.

I dragged out my old Nextel i35s, the first mobile phone I ever owned, I got my i35s in the fall of 2003 so it is 10 years old.

The battery ain't so good no more, but I plugged it in and this is what it still looked like @ 00:54 (EDT) on 06/30/13...

photo.jpg

Unfortunately, It got power cycled a few times, so it lost it's clock function on it's last reboot, when there was no network available to give it a time code, it looked like this...

photo.jpg

The second shot was from about 01:50 on 06/30/13.

It seems the coverage maps have been updated to reflect the new Nextel coverage,

Earlier on Saturday evening, it showed this for Nextel coverage...

Coverage+n.jpg

But, by 02:00 on Sunday morning, there is no longer an option for Nextel coverage.

Coverage+S.jpg

No official word from Sprint, but I predict a logo change too!

nextel+All+done.jpg

On a side note, this evening helped me to remember one thing I will miss about Nextel, this i35s boots up in about 10 seconds, that's about 60 seconds less than my EVO 4G LTE, although the EVO is better than my old BlackBerry 9330, that sucker took over 5 minutes to become usable.

• Like 13

:~(

Even though I never used iDEN, it's sad to see such a built out network like Nextel's go away. I hope Sprint will put those towers to good use.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Edited by wyattwalter
  • Like 1

No, Sprint is pulling the plugs on the iDEN MSCs.  But the RF signals may last for a few days while crews make the rounds to pull the plugs on the individual sites.

AJ

I wonder if there will be a blip downward in the rollout as people are reassigned to yank the guts out of IDEN.

• Like 1

At midnight-30 last night iDEN was still running in Fredericksburg, TX. As of this morning, the i450 and i425 that my mom dug out of my big boxes o' phones (yes, I have those) registered four bars but no service. Looks like the San Antonio MSC is indeed offline.

NEXTEL. DONE. |

• Like 3

I wonder if there will be a blip downward in the rollout as people are reassigned to yank the guts out of IDEN.

I believe they said that there are seperate contractors that are dismantling the IDEN system

Goodman Networks, Overland Contracting, Inc., a construction affiliate of Black & Veatch, Pyramid Network Services LLC and WesTower Communications Inc. will decommission the company’s iDEN network.

Source: http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-continues-network-vision-progress-selects-vendors-to-decommission-the-iden-network.htm

:~(

Even though I never used iDEN, it's sad to see such a built out network like Nextel's go away. I hope Sprint will put those towers to good use.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

They're removing most of them from its network: 68k towers to 39k towers. That's where much of the cost savings from NV is coming from: removing redundant towers. With Direct Connect on CDMA SMR 800 MHz, Sprint has no need for the Nextek towers. Also, Direct Connect will be available even while roaming on VZW albeit with possibly some additional latency in the call setup.

Also, you know they don't own any of those, right? They lease them.

I don't think Sprint outright owns any of its towers.

Someone else on forums said some of the Nextel lease agreements were really bad and that on many of the towers, Sprint was sole leasee. So, maybe once the site owner sees that they have an empty tower, they'll give Speint better lease rates and Sprint will come back to that tower.

• Like 1

No bars on the "i phones" as of just now. Looks like the network is completely offline. Now the countdown begins for SMR 1x and LTE in that area.

sent via my SIII on Tapatalk 4 beta

• Like 1