COUNTDOWN!!! Nextel iDEN Shutdown

I never understood this message, and it always made me laugh!

I got it a lot with my girlfriend when she would forget to plug her handset in to charge and it would run out of juice.  I guess the polling time on a Nextel cell was a lot less then current ones..

Akin to using wire hanger for broadcast television! Im sure id get at least -10dBm better reception with one of those glued to my HTC ONE internally.

To get -10 dBm reception, you would have to be hovering right in front of the sector's antenna.  On the other hand, if you want -10 dB "better" reception, well, I will be happy to give you -$10.

;)

AJ

just having voice on the 800 band will be great, much better building reception for voice is awesome!

I agree. Hopefully if sprint does get access to the 600mhz spectrum they can just use the 800mhz strictly for voice so LTE will be 600/1900/2500.

• Like 1

I agree. Hopefully if sprint does get access to the 600mhz spectrum they can just use the 800mhz strictly for voice so LTE will be 600/1900/2500.

Which would be awesome for those of us in the Canadian IBEZ  <_< 

Which would be awesome for those of us in the Canadian IBEZ  <_<

This wouldn't happen any time soon. It's going to be a few years at the earliest before this happens. By that time they will have worked out a permanent arrangement for 800MSR that allows Sprint to use at least some of its 800 spectrum in IBEZ areas.

I still kind of think the IDEN teardown will slow the roll out a little for a while. I know they are using different contractors but there are only so many people qualified to climb towers and take down panels on sites with live ones up. Taking out the other stuff wouldn't be an issue heck I could load a cabinet in a pickup. 

I still kind of think the IDEN teardown will slow the roll out a little for a while. I know they are using different contractors but there are only so many people qualified to climb towers and take down panels on sites with live ones up. Taking out the other stuff wouldn't be an issue heck I could load a cabinet in a pickup. 

I'm still pretty sure the iDen removal won't affect the NV rollout, unless they somehow schedule both teams to be at a site at the same time, which I think is fairly unlikely.

• Like 1

It should only use 800 if it loses 1900 signal.  Try going into underground garage or known area that doesn't have 1900 signal.  Use SignalCheck app to check.

For 1xA it actually varies depending on your phone's PRL. iPhones prioritize 1900 as you describe, but most Android devices (including my S4) scan for 800 first and stay on it until only PCS or roaming is available. I'm not sure why the discrepancy, but it seems to me they would like to make SMR the primary (only?) band for voice eventually but they're not quite ready to put all the iPhone users on it full-time.

LTE will follow a more strict 2600-->1900-->800 handoff for all devices, since LTE priority is not determined by PRL.

Does anyone know if there will be any active load balancing between the bands (other than iPhones to 1900 and everyone else to 800)? Years ago on VZW you'd acquire 850 first and then the site could bounce you to 1900 (I think it was based on a hash code from your MEID, or ESN at the time)--I'd think Sprint would do something similar?

Does anyone know if there will be any active load balancing between the bands (other than iPhones to 1900 and everyone else to 800)? Years ago on VZW you'd acquire 850 first and then the site could bounce you to 1900 (I think it was based on a hash code from your MEID, or ESN at the time)--I'd think Sprint would do something similar?

Welcome to S4GRU.  While it does not exactly answer your question, a good place to start reading for background is this article:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-318-can-toggling-airplane-mode-actually-improve-your-3g-data-speeds/

AJ

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Nextel site closest to my house has had the panels removed within the two weeks I was out of town. I took pictures of that site almost a year ago. I'll try and get some without Nextel on it.

Only thing left on that site now is Leap/Cricket.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...