COUNTDOWN!!! Nextel iDEN Shutdown

The end is nigh.  Hundreds of thousands of iDENites are huddled in churches, synagogues, and temples, trembling with fear, expecting the apocalypse.  Others have renounced wireless and headed for the hills of West Virginia to live out the rest of their days in the National Radio Quiet Zone.  And some stand on rooftops, precipices, and soon to be decommissioned towers, waiting to jump and be caught by PTT angels swooping down from the heavens at midnight.

Cole_Thomas_The_Course_of_Empire_Destruc

AJ

• Like 6

The end is nigh. Hundreds of thousands of iDENites are huddled in churches, synagogues, and temples, trembling with fear, expecting the apocalypse. Others have renounced wireless and headed for the hills of West Virginia to live out the rest of their days in the National Radio Quiet Zone. And some stand on rooftops, precipices, and soon to be decommissioned towers, waiting to jump and be caught by PTT angels swooping down from the heavens at midnight.

AJ

I'll bring the popcorn! Popcorn chicken, that is.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 3

I'll bring the popcorn! Popcorn chicken, that is.

Mmmmm popcorn chicken

Do you prefer caramel, cheese, or cinnamon?

:P

AJ

• Like 1

Not sure if this means anything. My tower was upgrades to LTE 3 months ago. It is 3/4 of a mile away.

About 1/2 hour ago, my signal jumped to roaming and it also jumps between a tower 4 miles to the north with a weak Sprint signal. Could it be They are about to turn on 800smr on this tower? BTW i did not loose the LTE signal from the close tower just 3g..

Edit: signal is back to full strength. Getting 1.5 down and .75 up on 3g.

• Like 1

Loose LTE again. Uh oh!

Lest anyone think that computer viruses cannot be transmitted to humans, I offer up this affliction.  Since the rise of Web based message boards about a decade ago, "lose/loose" has become a pandemic.  Many of you are going to die -- of poor writing.

AJ

My store hadn't seen any idenites in months but I look forward to some interesting arguments tomorrow there. I'm sure at least one person will come in oblivious to everything wondering why their phone won't work.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I was in the Bahamas and just got back... I got in the bidding around the 165 mark... missed the end of the auction since I wasn't paying the GSM rate for roaming on the ship and we went to an island with no CDMA (even with CDMA data roaming from BaTelCo I still blew through damn near 200 bucks roaming over a week)...

When will Sprint learn to cater to us dorks who like to sit at the front of the ship (where CDMA roaming signals from shore make it out quite far) and drink and surf forums and chat--and pay dearly for it? lol lol (yeah I should have found a cheap SIM but didn't think that far in advance and BaTelCo seemed to be a pain in the ass to deal with anyway) - - maybe 50 bucks for 200 megs for a week lol

Sorry Robert!

:)

A soothing north wind has come upon the Kansas City area today, sending the iDEN nonsense south so that the almighty Southern Company can deal with it.

The winds of change are afoot...

Mr. Hesse, tear down that network!

AJ

• Like 1

I am sending in my periodic $50 donation to the cause tonight.  To make things a bit more interesting, my donation will be credited to the account of the member or sponsor who comes up with the best iDEN postmortem quip.

I will announce the contest in The Lounge, too, and the winner will be decided by 12:30am CDT.

AJ

• Like 4

I am sending in my periodic $50 donation to the cause tonight. To make things a bit more interesting, my donation will be credited to the account of the member or sponsor who comes up with the best iDEN postmortem quip.

I will announce the contest in The Lounge, too, and the winner will be decided by 12:30am CDT.

AJ

They'll have to top my "WiDen WiMax Why Not?" quip

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

So wait will they start at midnight est or pst or later in the day??? I'm working till 4am and wanna get home and turn my i870 on to watch?

To quote from the Sprint Newsroom 

Sprint remains on schedule to decommission the iDEN Nextel National Network beginning at 12:01 am Eastern time on June 30.

• Like 1

They'll have to top my "WiDen WiMax Why Not?" quip

Oh, I have my quip ready to go.  It is topical, sophisticated, humorous, and multi lingual -- thus, difficult to beat.

AJ

So wait will they start at midnight est or pst or later in the day??? I'm working till 4am and wanna get home and turn my i870 on to watch?

To quote from the Sprint Newsroom

Sprint remains on schedule to decommission the iDEN Nextel National Network beginning at 12:01 am Eastern time on June 30.

I wonder if animals everywhere will go: "there's a disturbance in the force!" when iden stops broadcasting.