COUNTDOWN!!! Nextel iDEN Shutdown

Now that we are down to the final week, what do you think Nextel iDEN will request for its last meal?  Perhaps a lunchpail sandwich and a thermos of coffee.  Or maybe some chicken wings and a vial of crack.

;)

Well, I guess that no one likes my send up of the two biggest contingents of Nextel iDEN users:  hardhat wearers and, via Boost Mobile, drug dealers.

Stereotypes may not be politically correct.  But they can be funny.  And their generalizations tend to contain more truth than people want to admit.

AJ

• Like 6

I bet everyone at sprint is going to have a party the day they shut Nextel down.

Except those that work on maintaining Nextel...

Bet they have zero issues getting work upgrading and maintaining network vision equipment. Anyone with experience will have a job tomorrow.

• Like 1

Well, I guess that no one likes my send up of the two biggest contingents of Nextel iDEN users:  hardhat wearers and, via Boost Mobile, drug dealers.

Stereotypes may not be politically correct.  But they can be funny.  And their generalizations tend to contain more truth than people want to admit.

AJ

Stereotypes do exist for a reason. ;)

While this is a great leap for technology, it closes a cell phone chapter that really had a strong foot hold and near cult following. Its a somber celebration for me. The old days of hacking our phones to put ring tones on, the late nights on Howard forums talking nationwide direct connect, so on and so forth.

Was anyone here a member of the transiden community?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

• Like 2

While this is a great leap for technology, it closes a cell phone chapter that really had a strong foot hold and near cult following. Its a somber celebration for me. The old days of hacking our phones to put ring tones on, the late nights on Howard forums talking nationwide direct connect, so on and so forth.

Was anyone here a member of the transiden community?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Now we wait for the last 2G based technology chapter to close: GSM. Hopefully in the next couple of years.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Now we wait for the last 2G based technology chapter to close: GSM. Hopefully in the next couple of years.

Eh, AT&T is still deploying new GSM as we speak.

AJ

Eh, AT&T is still deploying new GSM as we speak.

AJ

Idiots! Will they ever let go of the past?

Don't answer that please. I know they won't. They are the re-incarnation of Ma Bell. And they are trying to repeat the past and re-control the telecommunications industry.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I just posted on the S4GRU Calendar a chat scheduled next weekend to count down the end of the iDEN Network.  More details:  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/calendar/event/25-s4gru-live-chat-countdown-the-final-hours-of-iden/

Also, don't miss you opportunity to Sponsor the final 24 hours of the iDEN countdown clock.  We have an E-Bay auction going on here:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300923642492

Hope to see you next week in The Lounge!

Robert

Wow, 36 bids already!

I have to say I was a huge Nextel user and love the quickness of the network. Worked great for the volunteer fire dept for non emergencies and between family members. That said I will have my i870 charged and on waiting for the last signal from the iden network. Will still use these phones for the great off network they have.

Has anyone found any cell sites in the Washington, DC area that have activated 800smr early?

We have had member reports of seeing CDMA 800 in Downtown DC and in the Maryland suburbs in the past.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

The only one I have seen is on Dupont Circle in downtown DC.

I have a question.  When Sprint shuts down the nextel network, will they keep the rural nextel towers to deploy NV?  Where my parents live, they currently have no Sprint coverage.  But according to Sprints coverage maps, there is Nextel coverage there.   So will Sprint re-purpose those towers as Sprint NV 800 1X (and maybe 1900 3G) towers?  Or will they just shut them down, going back to no Sprint coverage there?

I have a question.  When Sprint shuts down the nextel network, will they keep the rural nextel towers to deploy NV?  Where my parents live, they currently have no Sprint coverage.  But according to Sprints coverage maps, there is Nextel coverage there.   So will Sprint re-purpose those towers as Sprint NV 800 1X (and maybe 1900 3G) towers?  Or will they just shut them down, going back to no Sprint coverage there?

That's a good question, and I'm not sure if anyone has a definite answer.

My area is the same as you talk about, probably twice as many Nextel sites in the city (well used to be until the thinning), and many more sites covering areas where there is no Sprint CDMA.  We have heard a while back that they were looking at around 100 iDen only sites to convert to Sprint CDMA/LTE.  Things change quickly so that number could have gone to 0 or even gone to 200.  Just one of those things where we will have to wait and see.  I believe it's going to be your last option of, just continue to have no Sprint CDMA coverage there.  The only theory I do have is on sites where Nextel was the only carrier the tower owner will probably be begging Sprint to continue to keep equipment there.  This should allow Sprint to get a very good lease agreement on the site since the tower owner would either have to lose money or take the site down.

I wonder what Sprint's Nextel to Direct Connect FINAL recapture rate will be.

From Sprint's comments on this, it's not gonna be pretty.

I'm guessing right under 50%.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta