T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

Do T-Mobile calls hand over to different WiFi access points? I know they can do WiFi to LTE, but haven't seen WiFi to WiFi mentioned.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

it maybe possible :) i m not really sure 

Do T-Mobile calls hand over to different WiFi access points? I know they can do WiFi to LTE, but haven't seen WiFi to WiFi mentioned.

Typically, no.

However, I think you could go WiFi to VoLTE and then back to a (different) WiFi network.

In T-Mobile's 10-K filing, the company stated it made $247 million in net profit for the full year, with $101 million of that in the fourth quarter. Excluding MetroPCS decommissioning costs ($299 million), it would have had $546 million in net profit. Also of note, churn for the full year is 1.58% for postpaid, and 4.76% for prepaid. Postpaid ABPU was $60.73. Prepaid ARPU was $37.10. It added 8.3 million subscribers across 2014, 2.1 million of which were in the fourth quarter.

MetroPCS networks in Philadelphia, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Sacramento were fully decommissioned in the fourth quarter of 2014. So far in 2015, the MetroPCS networks have been fully decommissioned in Atlanta and Detroit metro area. The remainder of the markets (South California, Florida, New York, and the rest of Michigan) will be decommissioned in 2015.

As of the end of 2014, T-Mobile's LTE network covered 265 million POPs, according to the filing. It also released a revised coverage map showing the coverage as of December 31, 2014:

VcJ3ofM.jpg

• Like 2

Also from 10-K

Upon completion of the migration of the MetroPCS customer base, we expect to have approximately 61,000 equivalent cell sites, including macro sites and certain distributed antenna system (“DAS”) network nodes from the MetroPCS network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also from 10-K

Upon completion of the migration of the MetroPCS customer base, we expect to have approximately 61,000 equivalent cell sites, including macro sites and certain distributed antenna system (“DAS”) network nodes from the MetroPCS network.

didnt metro pcs have service in areas that t mobile didnt cover

In T-Mobile's 10-K filing, the company stated it made $247 million in net profit for the full year, with $101 million of that in the fourth quarter. Excluding MetroPCS decommissioning costs ($299 million), it would have had $546 million in net profit. Also of note, churn for the full year is 1.58% for postpaid, and 4.76% for prepaid. Postpaid ABPU was $60.73. Prepaid ARPU was $37.10. It added 8.3 million subscribers across 2014, 2.1 million of which were in the fourth quarter.

MetroPCS networks in Philadelphia, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Sacramento were fully decommissioned in the fourth quarter of 2014. So far in 2015, the MetroPCS networks have been fully decommissioned in Atlanta and Detroit metro area. The remainder of the markets (South California, Florida, New York, and the rest of Michigan) will be decommissioned in 2015.

As of the end of 2014, T-Mobile's LTE network covered 265 million POPs, according to the filing. It also released a revised coverage map showing the coverage as of December 31, 2014:

VcJ3ofM.jpg

That's weird, it doesn't show East Texas/Tyler under LTE any more on that map you posted.

didnt metro pcs have service in areas that t mobile didnt cover

Yes. TMO integrated those.

Most of the areas were integrated. A few were simply shut down, and are now no coverage / blocked roaming areas (so far).

Which areas?

Grand Rapids Charter Township (NE suburbs), Gull Lake, Williamston are the standouts.

It's not a huge problem by any means. But in West Michigan, there's something like 4 to 10 MetroPCS sites in suburban / rural areas that T-Mobile really needs to use as full macro builds, but has (so far) only downgraded, from working AWS LTE to either 'no service/ no roaming' or EDGE only.

One of them on the list appears to have finally gotten converted a couple of weeks ago (West Rivertown, Grandville). But the others have been in this downgraded/decommissioned state now for roughly 12-18 months now.

• Like 1

How do you know

I have family in Greenville and the surrounding areas like Bethel. That map shows the being covered in LTE and from contact with them they tell me all they get is 2G. My Aunt recently moved from Long Island down to North Carolina to be closer to family and she had to switch providers to Sprint because T-Mobile didn't give her good enough coverage.

Too bad tmo is not keeping the map at

https://maps.eng.t-mobile.com/pcc-customer.php

up to date with the lte 1900 gmo upgrades

1900 GMO? In the end it'll be worthless as their HSPA+ rollout they did in Pahrump a few years ago. My home ISP installer said he had TMO, and within 3 months of HSPA, he had problems streaming pandora throughout most of town. And there is less than 40,000 people where I live. 80% of them are on the Twin Bells.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk 3.1.1

1900 GMO? In the end it'll be worthless as their HSPA+ rollout they did in Pahrump a few years ago. My home ISP installer said he had TMO, and within 3 months of HSPA, he had problems streaming pandora throughout most of town. And there is less than 40,000 people where I live. 80% of them are on the Twin Bells.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk 3.1.1

Not a great solution but 10x10 gmo pcs lte is good for now.

Ask Fraydog.

Definitely good for travelers.

Typically, no.

However, I think you could go WiFi to VoLTE and then back to a (different) WiFi network.

That's kind of what I thought would happen. Its too bad, there are some stores here that seem like a RF black hole. One grocery store here has excellent WiFi inside, but its split among many different APs. When my family was here visiting Sprint WiFi calling would drop the call every time they moved to different parts of the store. It would be cool if they could get it to. work

That's kind of what I thought would happen. Its too bad, there are some stores here that seem like a RF black hole. One grocery store here has excellent WiFi inside, but its split among many different APs. When my family was here visiting Sprint WiFi calling would drop the call every time they moved to different parts of the store. It would be cool if they could get it to. work

Isn't the whole point of using APs that it's one contiguous network?

Isn't the whole point of using APs that it's one contiguous network?

I don't know enough about WiFi, but it wouldn't hand off when switching to different ones inside the store.

I have family in Greenville and the surrounding areas like Bethel. That map shows the being covered in LTE and from contact with them they tell me all they get is 2G. My Aunt recently moved from Long Island down to North Carolina to be closer to family and she had to switch providers to Sprint because T-Mobile didn't give her good enough coverage.

Yes TMo is worthless in Eastern NC. I'm from Greenville and my family owns a farm near Bethel. Greenville is a large city, Bethel is super rural. TMo has 2G only in the entire area, Sprint has nearly complete LTE coverage, including some B41. TMo isnt any good until you get as far west as Raleigh.

A friend of mine used to sell TMo in Greenville and just recently moved to Wilmington and still works for TMo. He never had problems getting sales though, people saw the commercials, came into the store, and signed up, never asking about LTE, just assuming they had coverage in the area, and he got his commission whether those customers ended up happy or not. Their marketing and spin is top notch.

• Like 2

Yes TMo is worthless in Eastern NC. I'm from Greenville and my family owns a farm near Bethel. Greenville is a large city, Bethel is super rural. TMo has 2G only in the entire area, Sprint has nearly complete LTE coverage, including some B41. TMo isnt any good until you get as far west as Raleigh.

A friend of mine used to sell TMo in Greenville and just recently moved to Wilmington and still works for TMo. He never had problems getting sales though, people saw the commercials, came into the store, and signed up, never asking about LTE, just assuming they had coverage in the area, and he got his commission whether those customers ended up happy or not. Their marketing and spin is top notch.

That's interesting.  Sprint's coverage map shows they only have roaming in the Bethel area.

That's interesting.  Sprint's coverage map shows they only have roaming in the Bethel area.

I should have clarified, nearly complete coverage in the Greenville area. However Sprint has the majority of Eastern NC covered well.

Looking at the Sprint coverage map, Conetoe is where my family's farm is. Minutes from Bethel, but yes Bethel is listed as roaming, you are correct. I have not been to Bethel itself in several years. I can confirm however that weak b25 and good/very good b26 is in the Conetoe area mere minutes away. B26 was just added in the Oct/Nov timeframe as it was not there at the beginning of the hunting season, but showed up several weeks in, not sure if the maps have been updated to reflect this increased coverage.

I was able to delightfully stream college football via WatchESPN perfectly while sitting in a deer stand in the middle of no where, on Saturdays in the second half of the season this past fall. 3 years ago phone calls and texts were unreliable/impossible in the exact same place and data was impossible.

• Like 1