T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

Google isn't in the infrastructure business to make money from infrastructure but from eyeballs.

There's lots of theories why google is doing this from people smarter than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Care to point me to some of the theories. I'm tentatively intrigued.

That's incorrect. The block that my high school was on got FiOS last year for the first time. One of my friend's homes got FiOS late last year for the first time. He said that they set up a booth and everything in order to advertise their service.

If you're saying that they're done expanding out of their service area, then I'd agree with you. They cover virtually every borough but if you tell them that you want FiOS, they'll build it out to your home.

not incorrect. Verizon has not finished build outs in any city or locality they have agreement with. They have gotten out of the requirement every time

Every state, city,county, town you name it. Verizon is done and the sooner you accept it the better. . 

not incorrect. Verizon has not finished build outs in any city or locality they have agreement with. They have gotten out of the requirement every time

Every state, city,county, town you name it. Verizon is done and the sooner you accept it the better. .

I don't know why you're trying to convince me of them not doing something which in the past 6 months I've seen them do multiple times. NYC is their largest market and you severely understate the power of NYC's government.

• Like 1

If this keeps up, I am going to change the title of this thread to "Verizon FiOS/Google Fiber Discussion."  Everyone is on notice.

AJ

• Like 3

I really am tempted to take T-Mobile's network for a spin, just to get a real world use case to compare with my own service. I do have a Nexus 5 sitting around, have to see what would be the cheapest way to do so, and not blow through my data cap :)

• Like 1

I really am tempted to take T-Mobile's network for a spin, just to get a real world use case to compare with my own service. I do have a Nexus 5 sitting around, have to see what would be the cheapest way to do so, and not blow through my data cap :)

Cheapest way is the walmart $30 5GB of data/100 minutes plan.

It's a really great value.  I just stopped my auto-pay last week, actually.  Used it for about two years while sprint was rebuilding in Boston.  It was great to compare networks, swap sims at my leisure, etc.

T-Mobile has the test drive program. No commitment.

T-Mobile has the test drive program. No commitment.

His nexus 5 with the $40 tmo sim from Walmart (including $30 to start service) is way cheaper than the $650 or whatever hold they put on your card for a week. Unless he doesn't mind a credit hold. It's 5gb of data which is perfect for a monthly test. That, and, speed tests don't count towards data, so hammer away.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• Like 1

Cheapest way is the walmart $30 5GB of data/100 minutes plan.

It's a really great value.  I just stopped my auto-pay last week, actually.  Used it for about two years while sprint was rebuilding in Boston.  It was great to compare networks, swap sims at my leisure, etc.

Interesting, what would I need to do to sign up?

His nexus 5 with the $40 tmo sim from Walmart (including $30 to start service) is way cheaper than the $650 or whatever hold they put on your card for a week. Unless he doesn't mind a credit hold. It's 5gb of data which is perfect for a monthly test. That, and, speed tests don't count towards data, so hammer away.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Awesome, and I believe the N5 supports all of T-Mobile's LTE bands (short of B12)

The glory of prepaid.

All you need is a sim

http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-Complete-SIM-Kit/39081494

Just head down to your local WalMart, buy the t-mobile sim kit, follow the instructions on activation found inside.  Took me all of about 3 minutes.  Very easy to do.

actually you just need to pick up a prepaid tmobile sim. I've purchased them at Target, BestBuy and even at CVS. the activation is done online. During online activation, you  are shown a variety of plans to go with. Only new activations have the $30, 100Minute/5GB plan option. This is the only time you can pick that plan. 

edit: I see the Walmart option bypasses the need to activate online. its all in one step.

The glory of prepaid.

All you need is a sim

http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-Complete-SIM-Kit/39081494

Just head down to your local WalMart, buy the t-mobile sim kit, follow the instructions on activation found inside.  Took me all of about 3 minutes.  Very easy to do.

Is that any different from the old T-Mobile offer of a free SIM? I ordered one last year which is still sitting around somewhere.

Is that any different from the old T-Mobile offer of a free SIM? I ordered one last year which is still sitting around somewhere.

Oh, yeah if you ordered the sim from t-mobile.com you have access to the 30/month plan

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

100 minutes talk | Unlimited text | First 5GB at up to 4G speeds

Includes unlimited international texting from the US to virtually anywhere included in your plan—at no extra charge.

This plan is only available for devices purchased from WalMart or devices activated on T-Mobile.com.

I use google hangouts voice dialer, so never had any issues with the 100 minute cap.  It's arguably the best value in the prepaid space.

Oh, yeah if you ordered the sim from t-mobile.com you have access to the 30/month plan

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

100 minutes talk | Unlimited text | First 5GB at up to 4G speeds

Includes unlimited international texting from the US to virtually anywhere included in your plan—at no extra charge.

This plan is only available for devices purchased from WalMart or devices activated on T-Mobile.com.

I use google hangouts voice dialer, so never had any issues with the 100 minute cap.  It's arguably the best value in the prepaid space.

Time to dig up that old SIM card :)

Thanks!

It was brought up on another thread, so I'll continue the discussion here:

I almost wonder if the Omaha T-Mobile thing will be dealt with this year. Since T-Mobile has most of their CapEx also going to rural modernization and expansion, maybe they could build more capacity in Omaha to handle the whole metro then let a TPR partner like Wireless Vision come in and market the service.

It was brought up on another thread, so I'll continue the discussion here:

I almost wonder if the Omaha T-Mobile thing will be dealt with this year. Since T-Mobile has most of their CapEx also going to rural modernization and expansion, maybe they could build more capacity in Omaha to handle the whole metro then let a TPR partner like Wireless Vision come in and market the service.

What thread are you referring to? Is there some action starting in Omaha?

What thread are you referring to? Is there some action starting in Omaha?

It was brought up on the Project Cedar thread, if I recall correctly.

T-Mobile has gone advertising crazy here in Los Angeles for their $40 Unlimited Plan.  It's almost impossible to look anywhere without seeing magenta on billboards, buses, buildings -- basically all OOH advertising.

Has T-Mobile been as aggressive elsewhere?

T-Mobile has gone advertising crazy here in Los Angeles for their $40 Unlimited Plan. It's almost impossible to look anywhere without seeing magenta on billboards, buses, buildings -- basically all OOH advertising.

Yes. Everywhere I go online.

Yes. Everywhere I go online.

They've been masterful with their online ad placement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

They've been masterful with their online ad placement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well to be fair I visit tech sites and TMOnews religiously so my cookies would make me prone to such ads.

I wonder for normal people ie those who don't go to ars, anand, cnet, fierce, etc how often they see TMO ads.

• Like 1

T-Mobile has gone advertising crazy here in Los Angeles for their $40 Unlimited Plan. It's almost impossible to look anywhere without seeing magenta on billboards, buses, buildings -- basically all OOH advertising.

Over the summer I was at a pretty large L station in the Chicago Loop that was completely magenta, on 2 stories and down each corridor. In your face T-Mobile girl smirking at you as you ride up/down the escalator. If you could imagine a T-Mobile themed haunted house, that would be it.

It was so magenta it burned my eyes.

• Like 1

Well to be fair I visit tech sites and TMOnews religiously so my cookies would make me prone to such ads.

I wonder for normal people ie those who don't go to ars, anand, cnet, fierce, etc how often they see TMO ads.

I don't see many Tmo online ads. Targeted advertisements to me are typically Verizon and Sprint.