T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

T-Mobile is overvalued because their stock has been inflated by speculators trying to make a buck on the chance of T-Mobile being acquired. Let the merger talk die down and we will see how far down the stock will go. If Dish is smart and they really want to merge with T-Mobile, they will wait. But I think they want to partner up with Sprint instead!

• Like 2

Technology wise it will be great, but coverage is urban only. You get out of a population area and you are on 2G Edge, good luck downloading apps, streaming music, browsing the web on that dinosaur...

I looked up typical tmobile edge speeds are they are almost identical to what I get on Sprint 3G.  75-200kbps. I admit NV isn't complete in my area.  Nearby tower is NV upgraded, but backhaul has not been installed.

You have to actually use edge to see what its like. I use T-mo on a part time basis, its slower than 1xRTT.

That sounds specific to your market.

T-Mobile EDGE is usually a little bit slower than EVDO. But e-mail still comes through. 

1xRTT is a fancy term for "no data". In my experience, I've literally never gotten data to transfer over 1xRTT, in any market.

The closest equivalent on T-Mobile side would be their GRPS coverage, which is roughly identical in speed to 1x (in that, neither of them work at all for data in practice, and they both have a similar theoretical max data speeds of approx 150kbit)

• Like 4

T-Mobile EDGE is usually a little bit slower than EVDO. But e-mail still comes through.

1xRTT is a fancy term for "no data". In my experience, I've literally never gotten data to transfer over 1xRTT, in any market.

The closest equivalent on T-Mobile side would be their GRPS coverage, which is roughly identical in speed to 1x (in that, neither of them work at all for data in practice, and they both have a similar theoretical max data speeds of approx 150kbit)

When I was with T-Mobile edge was completely unusable while traveling at highway speeds. Nothing would ever load. It was absolutely terrible.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I looked up typical tmobile edge speeds are they are almost identical to what I get on Sprint 3G.  75-200kbps. I admit NV isn't complete in my area.  Nearby tower is NV upgraded, but backhaul has not been installed.

Wow, pulled a post that was 18 months old...

I disagree. I have seen edge at better speeds than sprint 3G numerous amounts of times. I have also seen Sprints 1x speeds out do there evdo during peak hours.

You have to actually use edge to see what its like. I use T-mo on a part time basis, its slower than 1xRTT.

No one can really defend Tmo EDGE.  Whether Tmo or AT&T EDGE, it runs between 0kbps (completely times out) to approximately 100kbps.  And occasionally you may find a freak EDGE site that runs at 250kbps.  But that's like praising Sprint 3G because you can occasionally find a 2Mbps site.  Viaero's EDGE network in Nebraska does run really well, so we know it can be done.  Almost always over 200kbps.

Besides, Sprint has more rural LTE than Tmo even has 100kbps EDGE.  Most EDGE times out.  And you're lucky if you get EDGE.  I have never had data go above 30kbps on Tmo GPRS.  90% of the time on Tmo GPRS, data just times out.

The big problem with audio streaming on Tmo EDGE, is the inconsistency from site to site.  You will not likely get enough throughput on each site to keep a good audio streaming experience in Tmo EDGE for a decent commute length or highway trip.  And seeing how it's on PCS 1900, it just doesn't do very well.  I'll take 1x on 800 any day over falling off the EDGE.  Thank you very much.

Robert

• Like 5

I disagree. I have seen edge at better speeds than sprint 3G numerous amounts of times. I have also seen Sprints 1x speeds out do there evdo during peak hours.

Everybody, give a round of applause for the comedy duo of maxgentasilver and T-Mobilerrell352.  They are so funny and the opening act every night for the John Legere clown show.  But, as a reminder, we ask that you please not throw rotten eggs and tomatoes at them for their cherry picking of experience in their piddling little markets.

AJ

• Like 1

350,000 metro I wouldn't say is little. Although far from big but even in Orlando I have seen this happen. All I hear is crickets because that joke was lame bro.

Everybody, give a round of applause for the comedy duo of maxgentasilver and T-Mobilerrell352. They are so funny and the opening act every night for the John Legere clown show. But, as a reminder, we ask that you please not throw rotten eggs and tomatoes at them for their cherry picking of experience in their piddling little markets.

AJ

350,000 metro I wouldn't say is little. Although far from big but even in Orlando I have seen this happen. All I hear is crickets because that joke was lame bro.

You and your top posting are "lame, bro."

And Robert told you how it is.  Plenty of members on this site travel more than you do, have a greater national wireless network perspective than someone in Ocala, FL.

AJ

You and your top posting are "lame, bro."

And Robert told you how it is. Plenty of members on this site travel more than you do, have a greater national wireless network perspective than someone in Ocala, FL.

AJ

c49796b6c621518258526335e26febeb.jpg

And I live in a 925,000 person metro that T-Mobile only serves via a protection network...

• Like 4

Everybody, give a round of applause for the comedy duo of maxgentasilver and T-Mobilerrell352. They are so funny and the opening act every night for the John Legere clown show. But, as a reminder, we ask that you please not throw rotten eggs and tomatoes at them for their cherry picking of experience in their piddling little markets.

AJ

Not quite sure what name calling and belittling of people's experiences and markets adds to the discussion.

Just because they have had good experiences on GSM platforms/bad experiences on CDMA platforms, doesn't put a magenta T on their chest (Scarlet Letter reference). Peoples' experiences are legitimate.

Broad generalizations also exist for a reason, because GPRS/EDGE on T-Mobile often does suck. Same can be said for 1xRTT/EvDO on Sprint.

Hell, I was at the beach and tethered my T-Mobile iPhone to my computer and pinged 8.8.8.8 and though it truly was a dead data connection. In fact, it was 15-20s latency. Sprint had a weak LTE signal if I needed it.

Other times I will find latency in the order of 300-500ms. I have even completed a functioning FaceTime video call over an EDGE data connection on my iPad before.

Yes, I am a T-Mobile customer. I have used Virgin Mobile in the past. I have a Freedompop LTE hotspot now. I use what works for me, where I am, and within my budget.

I prefer the 3GPP networks for various reasons. It doesn't mean it's always superior, but it's what I prefer.

Yes Sprint has more LTE coverage in the in between. T-Mobile has more/better metro LTE coverage at this point. And it's paying off. The networks cater to two different sets of customers. Hopefully within a year, that disparity will become parity and there will be more competition in the market.

• Like 3

Not quite sure what name calling and belittling of people's experiences and markets adds to the discussion.

Just because they have had good experiences on GSM platforms/bad experiences on CDMA platforms, doesn't put a magenta T on their chest (Scarlet Letter reference). Peoples' experiences are legitimate.

It does put a magenta "T" on their chests when they do this shtick over and over again.  We tire of it.  Their experiences are largely limited to their local markets, yet they generalize.

AJ

And I live in a 925,000 person metro that T-Mobile only serves via a protection network...

I have a 300k metro area that gets the dreaded iwireless, Tmo just passed the whole state to an affiliate. T-Mo wants nothing to do with this area either.
  • Like 1

I can use broad explanations of Tmo EDGE/GPRS because I have used it in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas, Utah, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Illinois, Minnesota, South Dakota, Iowa, Pennsylvania, Florida, California, Nevada, Georgia and Idaho in the past 18 months.  

And my results are consistent.  Being stuck on EDGE only really sucks.  And in most places where Tmo has EDGE only, Sprint 3G works great.  Because these are low use areas.  And half of them even already have Sprint LTE.

People, I have all four national providers.  I use them extensively when I travel.  I can't rave about Sprint service everywhere I go.  But I can call BS on folks who try to tell me Tmo EDGE is acceptable.  Because I have never found uniform or consistently good EDGE performance site after site after site.  You find one, you better not move.

Robert

• Like 10

I have a 300k metro area that gets the dreaded iwireless, Tmo just passed the whole state to an affiliate. T-Mo wants nothing to do with this area either.

Yep they're terrible in Nebraska and Iowa and that is the point. We have several members that continue to extrapolate Carrier X, Y, or Z's performance in City 1,2,3 to make broad generalizations about carriers national networks. That needs to quit.

I think it is crazy that T-Mobile didn't build out Omaha, but I don't carry over any assumptions based on that to their network in other places.

First iPhone was Edge on AT&T. It was usable for email, maps and even streaming at a low rate...

How is 2007 relevant at this point? If it were, T-Mobile would still be GSM only garbage, while VZW and Sprint would be cruising along on EV-DO. But most people have short memory, have little perspective -- they have moved on, forgiven, and forgotten.

AJ

• Like 6

How is 2007 relevant at this point? If it were, T-Mobile would still be GSM only garbage, while VZW and Sprint would be cruising along on EV-DO. But most people have short memory, have little perspective -- they have moved on, forgiven, and forgotten.

AJ

:goodpost:

First iPhone was Edge on AT&T. It was usable for email, maps and even streaming at a low rate...

That was before everyone and their 2nd, 3rd, & 4th cousins joined in because the iPhone was exclusive, and trust me, AT&T edge was horrible before 3G was deployed in Pahrump. Also, I think Apple was compressing data on the original iPhone to make it worth the crappy EDGE data.

People, I have all four national providers.  I use them extensively when I travel.  I can't rave about Sprint service everywhere I go.  But I can call BS on folks who try to tell me Tmo EDGE is acceptable.  Because I have never found uniform or consistently good EDGE performance site after site after site.  You find one, you better not move.

Robert

This.  I have T-Mo fanboys at work and the make fun of Sprint's 3G all the time and that their Edge is still faster.  I don't see the point because I can load Pandora and forums fine over Sprint's 3G in nearly any location I frequent.

Yep they're terrible in Nebraska and Iowa and that is the point. We have several members that continue to extrapolate Carrier X, Y, or Z's performance in City 1,2,3 to make broad generalizations about carriers national networks. That needs to quit. I think it is crazy that T-Mobile didn't build out Omaha, but I don't carry over any assumptions based on that to their network in other places.

Exactly right.

And just like my experience of having usable data on HSPA with T-Mobile at the 2013 College World Series while all of the CSpire customers were stuck roaming on Sprint's 1x at TD Ameritrade Park.

This was before Sprint had Network Vision there. Also before T-Mobile modernized there as well.

But the knife cuts both ways where my phone became a brick when we drove out to Brother Sebastian's outside of 680. And I use my freedompop hotspot for car rides through Mississippi where T-Mobile has GPRS for a good stretch of I-59 from Slidell to Meridian.

I know where it works well and where it doesn't. The EDGE on US-45 from Meridian, MS to US-82 is surprisingly usable.

And on I-12 between Hammond and Covington, LA you have 2 EDGE only sites that are useless for data.

Highly localized. It's completely YMMV.

• Like 4