T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

ATT and Verizon are such impactful carriers Herr they need the extra sites.

I'd argue the opposite. if AT&T and Verizon need the extra sites, then *everyone* actually needs the extra sites (including Sprint and T-Mobile).

I'd hazard a guess that Sprint / T-Mobile phones have spotty service in or near these areas, dropping down to EVDO/1x/EDGE often when indoors. These sites probably fix that. (This obviously isn't universal everywhere. But AT&T / Verizon don't buy sites just for fun. If they need the density, then everyone probably actually needs that level of density in that area).

Is ATT using PCs LTE in high site density as a way to keep LTE speeds higher?

Sometimes, yes absolutely.

Extra site density is the most efficient way to improve both speeds and coverage.

It also happens to require no new/additional spectrum :)

• Like 1

I believe that was going to be AT&T's solution for boosting speeds in NYC but they had to cut the number of sites they're building down because it was too expensive.

Bryce, I was just reading your comments over on the Fiercewireless article that came out the other day when sprint bailed from the merger deal. Those people are such trolls. I commend your ability to try and reason with them, but their minds are superglued shut. Nothing gets in unless it was already in there. 

• Like 6

Bryce, I was just reading your comments over on the Fiercewireless article that came out the other day when sprint bailed from the merger deal. Those people are such trolls. I commend your ability to try and reason with them, but their minds are superglued shut. Nothing gets in unless it was already in there.

Yeah, at that point, his comments aren't so much to the trolls, but so people who come along afterward and read the comments have an opportunity to hear reason and truth. Good job, Bryce!

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 6

Yeah, at that point, his comments aren't so much to the trolls, but so people who come along afterward and read the comments have an opportunity to hear reason and truth. Good job, Bryce!

As I read through them, the usual S. Ali, DougLTE and Fabian...and jacky who is about the dumbest of them all...They throw out numbers and facts based on conjecture, when we have actual FACTS from internal sources. I am not sure who they are trying to convince, us or themselves.

They continue to use the fan boy card on everyone who shows even the slightest appreciation for sprint. Maybe a little biased, yes, but not a fan boy. I want T-mobile to succeed and assist Sprint with bringing some real competition to Verizon and AT&T, but lying about facts and using the past years as examples are exactly what they are....things of the past. I am just like Bryce. I read my news all over and can give praise where worthy. They, however, are locked in a time warp and refuse to accept the reality that sprint has changed and is improving, has plenty of money and spectrum to play with, and that sprint is not going anywhere. With a new CEO, Masa, Saw, new executives, and a hell of a network being deployed....Well, I just can't see Sprint going anywhere but up. Meanwhile, TMO is running on fumes and they don't have another 730 million dollar spectrum sale anytime soon. 

I am again reminded why I stuck with Sprint. I would've regretted leaving. 

• Like 5

As I read through them, the usual S. Ali, DougLTE and Fabian...and jacky who is about the dumbest of them all...They throw out numbers and facts based on conjecture, when we have actual FACTS from internal sources. I am not sure who they are trying to convince, us or themselves.

They continue to use the fan boy card on everyone who shows even the slightest appreciation for sprint. Maybe a little biased, yes, but not a fan boy. I want T-mobile to succeed and assist Sprint with bringing some real competition to Verizon and AT&T, but lying about facts and using the past years as examples are exactly what they are....things of the past. I am just like Bryce. I read my news all over and can give praise where worthy. They, however, are locked in a time warp and refuse to accept the reality that sprint has changed and is improving, has plenty of money and spectrum to play with, and that sprint is not going anywhere. With a new CEO, Masa, Saw, new executives, and a hell of a network being deployed....Well, I just can't see Sprint going anywhere but up. Meanwhile, TMO is running on fumes and they don't have another 730 million dollar spectrum sale anytime soon.

I am again reminded why I stuck with Sprint. I would've regretted leaving.

Yes indeed. That's what they want, is for everyone with a differing opinion just to throw their hands in the air and just give up. Giving them the only voice at the bully pulpit.

Meanwhile, TMO is running on fumes and they don't have another 730 million dollar spectrum sale anytime soon. 

To be fair, that's equally a "thrown out fact based on conjecture".

This particular quarter would have been low for T-Mobile if not for that spectrum sale -- this is very true. But there's plenty T-Mobile can do to offset that in the future.

For example, T-Mobile's advertising spend alone was $1.1 billion in 2012 (I don't have 2014 figures off hand). They could likely cut their ad spend, without removing *any* promotions, or raising anyone's prices, and not record losses in the future.

T-Mobile also still has 3 billion cash on hand. Even if they change *nothing*, they could keep recording losses for another three years straight, if they wanted. http://investor.t-mobile.com/Cache/24663697.pdf?IID=4091145&FID=24663697&O=3&OSID=9

Yes, T-Mobile is choosing growth over margins at the moment. And yes, that strategy not sustainable forever. But that doesn't mean T-Mobile as a business is at any risk. T-Mobile isn't going to go bankrupt or default anytime soon.

I'm not sure what your actually trying to imply by "running on fumes". But T-Mobile is, financially, no more at risk than Sprint is, in any way I've seen from their investor reports. There's nothing inherently wrong with running a utility company the way a utility company should be run (low margins).

• Like 3

I'm not sure what your actually trying to imply by "running on fumes". But T-Mobile is, financially, no more at risk than Sprint is, in any way I've seen from their investor reports. There's nothing inherently wrong with running a utility company the way a utility company should be run (low margins).

I agree with your points. I meant by running on fumes is that I really don't think they have anything else up their sleeves anymore to continue with this growth. I think it's had the 5 minutes of fame, and it was a damn good five minute of fame too. Just not to convinced it will continue.

• Like 1

I agree with your points. I meant by running on fumes is that I really don't think they have anything else up their sleeves anymore to continue with this growth. I think it's had the 5 minutes of fame, and it was a damn good five minute of fame too. Just not to convinced it will continue.

Ah, ok. I must have misunderstood what you meant by "out of steam". No worries.

• Like 1

"Herr they need the extra sites"?  So, they have to get permission from a German man to add them?

AJ

I guess living in East Texas so long I'm gaining a the Ol' country accent

So basically you are saying that they don't have any more tricks up their sleeves (aka Uncarrier moves). Something tells me they have quite a few more. Even if they didn't, they would pull a rabbit out of a hat and say its an uncarrier move that no one else has done before and market it as such that many would eat up. 

TS

I'd argue the opposite. if AT&T and Verizon need the extra sites, then *everyone* actually needs the extra sites (including Sprint and T-Mobile).I'd hazard a guess that Sprint / T-Mobile phones have spotty service in or near these areas, dropping down to EVDO/1x/EDGE often when indoors. These sites probably fix that. (This obviously isn't universal everywhere. But AT&T / Verizon don't buy sites just for fun. If they need the density, then everyone probably actually needs that level of density in that area). Sometimes, yes absolutely.Extra site density is the most efficient way to improve both speeds and coverage.It also happens to require no new/additional spectrum :)

These sites are capacity sites. Not necessarily coverage sites. Sprint has LTE coverage in both spots, 1 with near perfect signal, the other with -105LTE. Other carriers will be adding onto these sites in the future due to these being dense residential/high traffic areas, and have space for 3 more carriers on these sites. But the reason ATT and Verizon are adding more sites is due to them having I'd guess 70% or more market share here. T-Mobile is the worst, with very very few phones about. Sprint is actually gaining steam. Virgin/boost are the most seen/sold prepaid phones I see here. But sprint can always use extra coverage/capacity from any new or existing site. Especially with 8t8r rolling out

So basically you are saying that they don't have any more tricks up their sleeves (aka Uncarrier moves). Something tells me they have quite a few more. Even if they didn't, they would pull a rabbit out of a hat and say its an uncarrier move that no one else has done before and market it as such that many would eat up. 

TS

What more can they possibly have to offer that people will actual consider significant and worth enough to get someone to switch from Verizon or At&t. Without cutting prices even more, or offering some crazy phone deals etc., what can they offer? TMO has to make money somewhere, they can't just keep cutting prices and offering services that would usually cost extra. I can agree with the rabbit out of a hat statement. Even if it seems insignificant, TMO will definitely make it seem like it's the bestest thing evers.

I am hoping to be surprised though, I really am. I want TMO to come up with something new, because then all the others follow. It can also be sprint who comes up with something new though, which will cause the others to follow. I am still waiting for that deal I saw a while back where the 3rd and 4th lines are free for 2 years with 20 gb shared data between the 4 lines. That is an amazing deal.

Yes, T-Mobile is choosing growth over margins at the moment. And yes, that strategy not sustainable forever. But that doesn't mean T-Mobile as a business is at any risk. T-Mobile isn't going to go bankrupt or default anytime soon.

That's the Jeff Bezos/Amazon model. Run on fumes to make a huge dent in the market, then eventually flip the switch and draw profit.

• Like 1

What more can they possibly have to offer that people will actual consider significant and worth enough to get someone to switch from Verizon or At&t. Without cutting prices even more, or offering some crazy phone deals etc., what can they offer? TMO has to make money somewhere, they can't just keep cutting prices and offering services that would usually cost extra. I can agree with the rabbit out of a hat statement. Even if it seems insignificant, TMO will definitely make it seem like it's the bestest thing evers.

I am hoping to be surprised though, I really am. I want TMO to come up with something new, because then all the others follow. It can also be sprint who comes up with something new though, which will cause the others to follow. I am still waiting for that deal I saw a while back where the 3rd and 4th lines are free for 2 years with 20 gb shared data between the 4 lines. That is an amazing deal.

Sprint has an offer here in Portland where you can get 4 lines with 20 GB of shared data for $160. The 3rd and 4th lines aren't free, but it looks somewhat similar to what you are talking about. It appears that you must be a new customer to qualify.

• Like 1

Sprint has an offer here in Portland where you can get 4 lines with 20 GB of shared data for $160. The 3rd and 4th lines aren't free, but it looks somewhat similar to what you are talking about. It appears that you must be a new customer to qualify.

Rougly 50 bucks after fees and taxes if you have a off contract paid off device. I would switch in 24 nano seconds if I had a nexus 5 and wasn't already with sprint.

Rougly 50 bucks after fees and taxes if you have a off contract paid off device. I would switch in 24 nano seconds if I had a nexus 5 and wasn't already with sprint.

A great deal for new customers! It looks like it is a test plan though, as the only cities mentioned are Portland and San Diego on the Sprint link to the offer.

How likely is it that T-Mobile runs into the same backhaul issues Sprint is experiencing for their 2G-to-LTE upgrades? With their estimated time of completion, it looks like they don't expect to have the same issues, unless of course different types of backhaul will be used by T-Mobile, instead of mostly fiber.

• Like 1

How likely is it that T-Mobile runs into the same backhaul issues Sprint is experiencing for their 2G-to-LTE upgrades? With their estimated time of completion, it looks like they don't expect to have the same issues, unless of course different types of backhaul will be used by T-Mobile, instead of mostly fiber.

Biggest issue with sprint is they went for the cheapest backhaul contractors who said they could provide the backhaul instead of the ones that could actually get the backhaul on time.

If tmobile chooses the good backhaul companies and utilizes massive amounts of microwave backhaul then its very viable to get a lot of rural sites done.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk